Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Snowflex: Where is it and have you done it?

http://www.snowmaker.com/snowflex.html

There was something about this on tee-vee last night and I posted about it a few years ago. Anyway, I'm still interested in this as a summer skiing medium. I'd love to be able to train off season on it. It probably skis a hell of a lot better than Killington did all last season anyway!

Have any of you tried this medium yet? I know Roo tried the Dendrite or whatever. Roo, you ever get around to trying out the Snowflex? It's supposed to be much better than any of the other options.

Does anyone know if there are any places using this in the U.S. yet? I wasn't able to google up any info.

I hope somebody sacks up and builds something w/ this on the snow-impoverished EC. It would be groovy if any of the VT slopes at least built a terrain park to play on in the summertime. Or even to train in when we have no snow (which areas south of Stowe hardly ever do--at least last season).

Wishful thinking I know, but it would be great!

Sprite

"I call it reveling in natures finest element. Water in its pristine form. Straight from the heavens. We bathe in it, rejoicing in the fullest." --BZ

interesting wiki on it and other artificial ski slopes:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_ski_slopes

Wiki also has a list of indoor places (some with real snow)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indoor_ski_slope

It's huge in the UK. I met a guy at Craigieburn in New Zealand who was riding the whole mountain , chutes and cliffs that had never riden on snow before! He just had dry slope experience.
    That said , If it's the only option , might be a good one.

The Ghost of Cyber Cop Guest
    I suprised this hasn't caught on in the US, especially with the boom in park riding. You could rake in the cash in the summer. Personally I like putting away the gear for the summer, but that's just me and a few I'm sure.

That stuff looks cool!

It's alright. Better than toothbrushes. Tends to be expensive, relative to both real snow and toothbrushes.

edg
    Do you realize that you've just posted an admission of ignorance so breathtaking that it disqualifies you from commenting on any political or economic threads from here on out?

i dont see how you can hit kickers on that kind of a surface. wouldnt the impact be too much or is it really soft and have a little give to it? how do u not catch an edge? pretty cool though.

Briton Engineering Developments & Bearfire Group to bring winter sports to Dallas, Texas

Briton Engineering Developments are pleased to announce that they have been chosen to work alongside the Bearfire Group to supply and install their award winning Snowflex® surface system to the planned $375m Coolzone Winterplex project in Dallas, Texas.

Bearfire Group LLC has assembled a team of top industry professionals to design and build the Coolzone Winterplex, a new winter-themed entertainment venue and sports park planned for Dallas, Texas. In addition to teaming with industry leaders, the project has garnered support from former US Congressman Dick Armey with the aim of increasing tourism and revenue for the city.

The brainchild of Bearfire Group LLC, Coolzone Winterplex will combine an entertainment platform with family and extreme sports making it the world's first year-round, indoor/outdoor winter sports theme park.

"Coolzone Winterplex is a cutting edge-project that has been generating a tremendous buzz of excitement, first within our team and now among the theme park industry at large," said Charlie Aaron, president of Bearfire Group LLC. "By entering into business with talented industry professionals, Bearfire Group will ensure that Coolzone Winterplex is brought to fruition as one of the most unique and thrilling entertainment experiences on the planet."

Further to contracting the services of top-flight theme park designers and a successful park operator, Coolzone Winterplex is in the process of raising capital for the project, and is pleased to confirm that former House Majority Leader Dick Armey is assisting in these efforts. Mr. Armey will help in identifying and locating potential equity investors in the project as well as acting as an advisor to the company.

“This is a very exciting and innovative project and will be another economic boost to North Texas,” said former Congressman Armey. “And besides, I can’t wait to hit the slopes in Dallas!”

“The Winterplex aims at bringing the best of the Rockies to Texas,” said Charlie Aaron of Bearfire Group. “Today, US skiers and snowboarders wanting to enjoy their sport in the summer need to travel to places like Argentina. The Coolzone Winterplex will provide year-round snow sports for the first time ever in the States.”

Resembling an alpine skiing village and featuring first-rate hotel accommodations, fine dining and retail stores, the Coolzone Winterplex will offer the level of entertainment expected from a world-class theme park. The park’s main attraction is a 60-acre plus, 20-story outdoor ski and snowboard mountain which will be surfaced with Britons award winning Snowflex® surface system that mimics real packed powder and provides qualities and conditions like those of mountain snow. The mountain will be complete with chair lifts, a snowboard park with competition half pipe, toboggans, and snow tubing. In addition to catering to extreme sports enthusiasts, the park will also feature activities for the entire family including two ice rinks, an outdoor ice trail, a winter wonderland for children with snow, an outdoor concert venue, rock climbing, and rides.
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. The winds will blow their freshness into you, and the storms, their energy. Your cares and tensions will drop away like the leaves of Autumn." --John Muir

"welcome to the hacienda, asshole." --s.p.c.

The Ghost of Cyber Cop Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dblatto

Briton Engineering Developments & Bearfire Group to bring winter sports to Dallas, Texas
    Nice, we need to buy up all the condos and send down our gapers by the busload. Paybacks a bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by snowsprite
    Maybe it's just my eyes, but doesn't it look like that giant booter in the center is going to send someone to a really big, really flat death?

No CNB! From the 411 I got on this show I was watching it's apparently really great to ride. People said it does not hurt to fall, it's very edgeable (unlike other snow imposters), and one ski area rep was expressing concern that because it is so forgiving he's worried about the ambulance factor.

Evidently, people who would normally not sack up and do certain things on regular slopes get very confident on this stuff and really go crazy as far as pushing their limits.

I really wish somewhere on the EC would set one of these areas up. My husband and I were discussing it and that tiny little pimple hill Woodbury in CT should set up a small park over the summer. Then I could go there and maybe I'd finally learn to snowboard and actually do something in the park.

Anyway, I guess the factor is how much does it cost. Also, is it something you can ski on in the winter...i.e., can you have it snow-covered and not mess up the material or will it make for bad snow cover. That info I could not seem to track down.

I wonder if any of the EC resorts would consider trying this. With the early end to our season and the need for area athletes/ski teams to train it would seem like a good option. Maybe it'll happen in my lifetime. I hope!

Sprite
    "I call it reveling in natures finest element. Water in its pristine form. Straight from the heavens. We bathe in it, rejoicing in the fullest." --BZ

I read something about there being a place near denver that was going to do it, and build a pipe out of that stuff too. Not sure if it happened though.

And....yah, looks like flat death off an aerial booter.

Quote Originally Posted by crashnburn'd
    Maybe it's just my eyes, but doesn't it look like that giant booter in the center is going to send someone to a really big, really flat death?
    It's your eyes. It's landing is shared with the little tabletop jump to lookers left.

don't eliminate hunter or mt. creek. i wouldn't be surprised to see one of the two moving in that direction espescially if the winters keep up at this awesome pace.

also, wasn't there talk of continental arena becoming an indoor ski park once the nets move out to brooklyn?

Quote Originally Posted by s.p.c
    also, wasn't there talk of continental arena becoming an indoor ski park once the nets move out to brooklyn?
    Has nothing to do with the nets, but it will happen at the meadowlands:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meadowlands_Xanadu

Its a lot better than dendix for kickers but its hardly snow. Nicer to land on than dendix but still not great to ski on. Tends to wear out after a while giving way to sticky patches. That photo above is the dry slope in Aberdeen, Scotland. Not ridden there but meant to be good. The kicker in the photo is hydraulicaly adjustable. There is a decent landing there, just cant see it.

It has fucking moguls.

Quote Originally Posted by dblatto
    In addition to teaming with industry leaders, the project has garnered support from former US Congressman Dick Armey with the aim of increasing tourism and revenue for the city.
    Peter: What's your name?
    Congressman: Dick Armey.
    Peter: Hahahahahahaha.... What's your wife's name? Vagina coastguard?

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

Mad Cobra!

Waiting too long
    Finally yuh come a long
    Baby love
    Explain yuhself baby girl
    Lead out Lead out lead out lead out

Like a clock ticking on the wall
    Seven days a week
    So weak I need yuh body next to mine
    Cyaan eat nor sleep
    Like a club to a screw
    Ohhh I do you
    So neat
    Spread your feet

Lord (Hear mi tell di girl)
    Girl flex time to have sex
    Long time yuh have di rude bwoy yah a sweat Girl flex time to have sex
    Look how long yuh have di rude bwoy a sweat

I rather wait out-a patience
    Lovin she get that will be sufficient
    I rather wait till I cyaan wait no more
    X amount of lovin hardcore
    Me a listen jus to hear she knock pon di door
    Only to touch her me nuh want know no more

Look how long yuh have di rude bwoy a...

Before she reach
    I could smell her perfume
    I could not wait to get her inna di room
    Before she reach I could smell her perfume
    I could not wait to get her inna...
    Feel like a surgeon
    Prepare di surgery
    But I hope di likkle girl no charge me fi perjury
    Action wit di injection
    Worky worky girl according to plan

Look how long yuh have di rude bwoy a wait

Know me ready
    Gal tickle up mi fancy
    Skin to skin perform di surgery
    Know me ready ain't wasting no time
    Reach yuh climax girl anytime
    Know me ready
    Receive what me affi give
    Good lovin every day that yuh live
    Ready Gal lets go for it
    Agony gal from start to finish

Girl Flex Time to have sex
    Girl Flex Time to have sex
    Look how long she have di rude bwoy a

Bet mi life
    She not go late again
    When she remember what where or when
    Bet mi life shell be always early
    For me to perform a long-a surgery
    Bet mi life I cyaan count on dat
    Surgeon knife a slice it like a flechette

I rather wait
    Out-a patience
    Lovin she get
    That will be sufficient
    I rather wait
    Till I cyaan wait no more
    X amount of lovin hardcore
    Me a listen
    Jus to her she knock pon di door
    Jus to touch her me nuh want know no more

Look how long yuh have di rude bwoy a

Know me ready
    Gal tickle up mi fancy
    Skin to skin perform di surgery
    Know me ready girl ain't wasting no time
    Reach yuh climax girl anytime
    Know me ready
    Receive what me affi give
    Good lovin every day that....

I never heard that but I bet it's decent pole-dancing music!

Sprite

Mad Cobra is the shit!!! My mom bought that album then she heard what they were saying and immediately gave it to me.

Definately pole dancing music, glad it wasn't my mom doing the pole dancing.

ffff....

So when is the one in Dallas supposed to be done? The parental units live there now and boy it would be cool to ski/ride this stuff instead of the damn heat and flatness. Would like to try it someday.

edit: Dallas looks like late 2008 completion

Imagine the looks you get taking skis from SLC to Dallas.

Or I could just sit by their pool and drink dad's beer.
    Last edited by Buzzworthy; 06-28-2006 at 11:10 AM.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Question Because I'm a Baaaad Man!

Who has hit this shit? I was imagining trying to carve with my razor sharp edges on this material. It better be kevlar or else I'll carve down to the dirt. Do they restrict sharp edges or carvers?

Somethings are just not right
    Johnny's only sin was dispair

looks similar to what the park city water ramps were made out of

you didnt want to carve on that stuff. catch edge = death by abrasion
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.