Help! Frozen fish question (also posted in the Padded Room)

We left Sitka yesterday with about 200lbs of frozen fish. Scoober's Dad was flying Sitka-Seattle-Atlanta-Cleveland. His Dad's fish left the freezer yesterday morning and due to flight cancellations and baggage delays (and Delta being general fucktards), his fish didn't arrive to Cleveland until just now.

The fish was flash frozen on the boat after we caught it and then deep/hard frozen for several days before we left Sitka. So my question is: is there any hope that hard frozen fish, in transit for 30 hours will still be salvageable?

If it's been above 40 degrees (totally unfrozen) for more than 4 hours, it's toast.
    Support a 6,000 mile bike tour for early literacy!

http://www.ride4ror.com

Quote Originally Posted by MassLiberal
    If it's been above 40 degrees (totally unfrozen) for more than 4 hours, it's toast.
    I wonder how long it would've stayed frozen for? Once it's taken out of the freezer in Sitka, it's rock hard frozen solid.

This is why most folks Will use UPS or the like and send the fish frozen on Dry Ice.

Good luck - if it was thawed and warm to the touch I wouldn't ingest it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster
    This is why most folks Will use UPS or the like and send the fish frozen on Dry Ice.

Good luck - if it was thawed and warm to the touch I wouldn't ingest it.
    Smartass.

There isn't a need to send it on dry ice if the airlines would get their shit together and not randomly cancel flights. Both Sitka and Seattle have a frozen storage in the event of such events. Ghetto Atlanta doesn't.

Was it in a cooler at least??
    Support a 6,000 mile bike tour for early literacy!

http://www.ride4ror.com

should be fine if it was packaged well. think about how long a cooler full of 200# of block ice takes to thaw if it is kept closed.

if it sat on the runway in ATL and it is super hot there, maybe there will be a problem. Open it up, if it is still frozen it's fine.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

The fish is frozen in vacuum packed bags and then sent off in a waxed cardboard box. The company we go with doesn't use coolers, and they've sent fish as far as the Florida Keys without incident.

Scoober's Mom got a call that the fish is now in Cleveland and the baggage agent said it's still pretty frozen.

My cousin has a fishing guide business in Sitka and he told us once that he had some japanese clients who took fish home with them on their flight. I don't remember how long it was, but I do remember it being a very, very long time. THe fish was still good at the end of it all. I think you will be fine as long as it wasn't sitting on the runway in Hotlanta for hours on end.

So are they picking it up in Cleveland now? I would get that to a freezer ASAP.

He didn't happen to fish with Angling Unlimited did he?

I would think the old sniffer would be pretty effective in this case. If the fish smells "fishy" it's probably spoiled.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird
    So are they picking it up in Cleveland now? I would get that to a freezer ASAP.

He didn't happen to fish with Angling Unlimited did he?
    Yup, picking it up now and taking it right to the freezer.

Horizon West.

He could have just gone to the grocery store. It's probably the fresher choice by now...
    OOOOOOOHHHH, I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!