Frozen fish question

We left Sitka yesterday with about 200lbs of frozen fish. Scoober's Dad was flying Sitka-Seattle-Atlanta-Cleveland. His Dad's fish left the freezer yesterday morning and due to flight cancellations and baggage delays (and Delta being general fucktards), his fish didn't arrive to Cleveland until just now.

The fish was flash frozen on the boat after we caught it and then deep/hard frozen for several days before we left Sitka. So my question is: is there any hope that hard frozen fish, in transit for 30 hours will still be salvageable?

was it packaged in dry ice? Insulated? Cold packs?
    It's idomatic, beatch.

defrost the dildos before deployment darling - it stops tuna trauma
    Last edited by cj001f; 06-26-2006 at 01:49 PM.
    Elvis has left the building

It wasn't put on dry ice. The company we go with rarely has problems with fish getting to the final destination, and they have clients from as far as the Florida Keys.

The fish are hard frozen in a vacuum packed bag, then placed in a waxed box thingy.

ohh, not in a cooler? I hate to break it to you, but they are more than likely toast.
    Support a 6,000 mile bike tour for early literacy!

http://www.ride4ror.com

Quote Originally Posted by MassLiberal
    ohh, not in a cooler? I hate to break it to you, but they are more than likely toast.
    That's what I thought too, although scoober's Mom got a call from the baggage agent in Cleveland and was told that it was still pretty frozen.

Quote Originally Posted by LAN
    That's what I thought too, although scoober's Mom got a call from the baggage agent in Cleveland and was told that it was still pretty frozen.
    I'd be happy to run down there and make sure.... for a small fee...
    It's idomatic, beatch.

flash frozen placed in wax box. should still be okay. the box(s) with the most fish will be better off, particularly the fish in the middle. quality will be salvagable though may be degraded a bit (fish don't care for the freeze thaw much, but as long as it is still chilled it will be okay).

fish that has competely thawed can be thrown into a brine and then smoked, should be fine. take the rest and refreeze as soon as possible, with 200#'s i'm assuming you have a chest freezer, spread the fish out as well as possible to dissipate the heat from the fillets quicker, also spread the load out to your regular house freezer.

eat, drink, be merry.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio
    I'd be happy to run down there and make sure.... for a small fee...
    For a small fee and some halibut cheeks?

for halibut cheeks? tasty tasty tasty. LAN where is the final destination of the fish again???????
    Support a 6,000 mile bike tour for early literacy!

http://www.ride4ror.com

Why don't you just wait and see if its still frozen instead of wondering if its frozen.
    "It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds."

Quote Originally Posted by TheDingleberry
    Why don't you just wait and see if its still frozen instead of wondering if its frozen.
    Far too simple, we need drama.