Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

NYC mags ---> help my friend find a place to live

Hey NYC mags - a friend of mine needs a place to live for a couple years in New York City. Any and all help is appreciated!! Below is her email to me. Please PM me for any inside information you may have on rentals and I'll forward all information to her. Thanks!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I need a place to live, and prefer to live by myself (a room of one's own, ya' dig?)... If I find the right place, I'll be a model tenant for at least 2 years.

I can move in as early as August 1. I would like to pay $1000 or less. I would like to live within a 30-45 minute commute to NYU/Greenwich Village in Manhattan (one way, via public transportation).

If you know anyone who can help me make this happen, I will be eternally grateful.

if this person is willing to commute over 30 minutes to get to NYU that should be doable, particularly in a studio in Brooklyn somewhere. I think $1000 in Manhattan would mean something way uptown, though.
    I hear of apartments every now and then, but can't think of anything right now. Check all the listings, and make sure she has a look at places and is ready to sign for something (will need proof of ginormous income for some places).
    [quote][//quote]

check out craigslist NY
    I'm imagining it might have a hard time finding a studio/1bd for that price in the city but Brooklyn/Bronx/Queens might be an option

elevens
    why make ten turns when you only need to make NONE!

bklyn is offline who guards the guardians?
    I haven't ever looked for a studio apt, but she might be pushing the commute time to find a decent place in her price range. Looks like there might be a bunch of places in Bay Ridge. Google/Yahoo maps and craigslist will be her best friends. Have her PM me with any questions on areas.

Some places ask for ridiculous broker and credit check fees, so she should be wary of that.
    I'm just a simple girl trying to make my way in the universe...
    I come up hard, baby but now I'm cool I didn't make it, sugar playin' by the rules
    If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from, then you wouldn't have to ask me, who the heck do I think I am.

Quote Originally Posted by elevens
    check out craigslist NY
    I'm imagining it might have a hard time finding a studio/1bd for that price in the city but Brooklyn/Bronx/Queens might be an option

elevens
    Please explain why people would pay that for a studio?!

My sister rents places in NYC, but are probably out of your friends range by way too much...

http://www.anchornyc.com/page.cfm?pa...profile&id=109

Quote Originally Posted by P_McPoser
    Ha - you'll see. There aren't many apts in decent neighborhoods under 2000. While you're in NY look around and think about that. Rent control laws changed a few years ago and everything went up 50-75%.
    And Phish - a non naked picture of your attractive sister. So glad you bucked the new trend.
    I come up hard, baby but now I'm cool I didn't make it, sugar playin' by the rules
    If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from, then you wouldn't have to ask me, who the heck do I think I am.

Quote Originally Posted by bklyntrayc
    Ha - you'll see. There aren't many apts in decent neighborhoods under 2000. While you're in NY look around and think about that. Rent control laws changed a few years ago and everything went up 50-75%.
    And Phish - a non naked picture of your attractive sister. So glad you bucked the new trend.
    Egads. I wouldn't even want a 2000 dollar mortgage let alone rent!!! Guess I'm bound to be a country boy with a moderate house and yard with a 700 dollar mortgage payment.

We clearly need a link to her myspace account.

Quote Originally Posted by P_McPoser
    Because it's New York Fucking City
    why make ten turns when you only need to make NONE!

Quote Originally Posted by divegirl
    Hey NYC mags - a friend of mine needs a place to live for a couple years in New York City.
    Is your friend coming into the city to apartment hunt, or is she hoping to do this via e-mail?

Finding an apartment you like in NY for very little money normally requires an inspection. To be as close to NYU as she wants to be (which might not be so doable in her price range - watch out for brokers and their fees) probably means something rather small or in a sketchy neighborhood/building. You need to visit the place to see how you feel about the space and neighborhood.

If you want to settle for something small, overpriced, and in not a great neighborhood that's easy. If you want a good deal on a nice apartment here's what's worked for me (takes 3-5 days):
    - open browser to cragislist - nyc
    - search the neighborhoods you're interested in
    - Hit refresh every 5 minutes
    - The minute something comes up that you want call (or if no # then e-mail) the contact person. Set up the soonest appointment possible.
    - See the place. If you want it, say so - loudly. If you need "a few days to think about it," tough shit - if it's a good apartment someone else will snag it while you're "thinking."

Neighborhoods she might be interested in:
    - Carrol Gardens (and Carrol Gardens West - other side of the BQE = cheaper)
    - Prospect Heights
    - Greenpoint (might be a walk from the subway)
    - Gowanus (it's like carrol gardens, but industrial)
    - Long Island City (I never thought it had any soul)
    - Uptown Manhattan (Harlem, University Heights, Washington heights - the A train will be your friend)
    - Williamsburg (priced out by hipsters)
    - Park Slope (priced out by yuppies)
    - Redhook (see Gowanus)

edit - What elevens said. If cities are your thing, this is one of the greatest in the world.
    Last edited by Will; 06-20-2006 at 10:23 PM.
    My dog did not bite your dog, your dog bit first, and I don't have a dog.

Nice 1 bdr in large Victorian in Montclair NJ- 35 min train to Penn available if interested 1250.

Not sure what the rents are now but I had a Studio in Jersey city at Dixon Mills - 3 blocks from Grove street Path station - about 10 minutes to WTC when I worked there - paid $850...but that was 5 years ago. decent neighborhood, easy commute...shouldn't be too much higher now. (Just googled it - studio $925-1295, 1br 1095-1795)
    Last edited by tex1230; 06-21-2006 at 06:46 AM.

I would suggest the Columbia/UWS/Harlem area. It's a close commute on the D train, and there are still some good deals in the 100-125 st range.
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. The winds will blow their freshness into you, and the storms, their energy. Your cares and tensions will drop away like the leaves of Autumn." --John Muir

"welcome to the hacienda, asshole." --s.p.c.

Not that the public transportation is unsafe, but if I was a female spending a half hour by myself on the subway at 3am I may feel more than a bit uncomfortable.

Chances are she will be ringing up some pretty expensive cab rides on a weekly basis if she is living too far from school, it would probably be worth it to spend an extra couple of hundred bucks a month on somewhere much closer.
    Last edited by CUBUCK; 06-21-2006 at 08:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CUBUCK
    Not that the public transportation is unsafe, but if I was a female spending a half hour by myself on the subway at 3am I may feel more than a bit uncomfortable.
    And if she's going to Jersey, the PATH sucks beyond belief at that time of night. It'll take a lot longer than 30-45 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Will
    Is your friend coming into the city to apartment hunt, or is she hoping to do this via e-mail?

Finding an apartment you like in NY for very little money normally requires an inspection. To be as close to NYU as she wants to be (which might not be so doable in her price range - watch out for brokers and their fees) probably means something rather small or in a sketchy neighborhood/building. You need to visit the place to see how you feel about the space and neighborhood.

If you want to settle for something small, overpriced, and in not a great neighborhood that's easy. If you want a good deal on a nice apartment here's what's worked for me (takes 3-5 days):
    - open browser to cragislist - nyc
    - search the neighborhoods you're interested in
    - Hit refresh every 5 minutes
    - The minute something comes up that you want call (or if no # then e-mail) the contact person. Set up the soonest appointment possible.
    - See the place. If you want it, say so - loudly. If you need "a few days to think about it," tough shit - if it's a good apartment someone else will snag it while you're "thinking."

Neighborhoods she might be interested in:
    - Carrol Gardens (and Carrol Gardens West - other side of the BQE = cheaper)
    - Prospect Heights
    - Greenpoint (might be a walk from the subway)
    - Gowanus (it's like carrol gardens, but industrial)
    - Long Island City (I never thought it had any soul)
    - Uptown Manhattan (Harlem, University Heights, Washington heights - the A train will be your friend)
    - Williamsburg (priced out by hipsters)
    - Park Slope (priced out by yuppies)
    - Redhook (see Gowanus)

edit - What elevens said. If cities are your thing, this is one of the greatest in the world.
    Agree about the craigslist strategy, but she has to be here already in order to fully take advantage of that.

Greenpoint, anywhere under or too close to the BQE, Gowanus, & the hook are still sketch places to live for a college student and not always convenient to public transport or are in what we used to call "two fare" zones before the metrocard.

Maybe your friend should increase her budget or reconsider the roommate option. Prospect Heights & Ft Greene are also getting sky high with rent.

I could live safely anywhere in this city, but that's not the case for everyone.

I could live safely anywhere in this city, but that's not the case for everyone.

sure, but someone who has never lived there and only wants to spend a grand thats pretty tough....

divegirl, can she afford more and dosent want to? or is she really strapped?

cause it would be worth it to spend a little more for that extra 15-20 minutes of being closer......

she needs to explore having roomates.
    NYC roomates are different than other places.
    they cohabitate with out really hanging out.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy
    she needs to explore having roomates.
    NYC roomates are different than other places.
    they cohabitate with out really hanging out.

yeah.....in reality if she is young she wont really be spending time at her apartment....just going to work, and going around town, etc....

she should look into getting some roomies for sure....could save her alot of loot...

roo-mies! roo-mies! roo-mies!! Gooooooooooo roomies! seriously.
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. The winds will blow their freshness into you, and the storms, their energy. Your cares and tensions will drop away like the leaves of Autumn." --John Muir

"welcome to the hacienda, asshole." --s.p.c.

yeah, even as a professional in New York, I couldnt have afforded tolive in Manhattan if I had not moved in with my GF.

I had exactly the place she wants. A studio on 13th, between 5th & University, on top of the NYH&RC. They wanted $995, and I bargained them down to $975.

In 1990.

If she's thinking about roommate situations, one of my stepsisters (recent Barnard grad) is up in a gentrifying neighborhood in the 140s and loves it; I think she might have space for a roommate. The other is going to be a sophomore at NYU, but I think she's in student housing, although I can check.

But yeah, Craigslist, and the Village Voice classifieds.

There's also the trick I learned about but never had the chance to use, but reportedly worked quite well in the rent control days, when outrageous brokers' fees were the norm (perhaps they still are?). Because rent control/stabilization limited the rent increase, landlords could always get their maximum increase, and most good deals were rented before they hit the public eye. The methodology was to choose a block or so on which you really wanted to live, do up a flyer saying exactly your parameters, offering a decent finder's fee (a month's rent or a little less), and handing it to every super on the block, because they know about every opening before it's public.

Greenpoint, anywhere under or too close to the BQE, Gowanus, & the hook are still sketch places to live for a college student and not always convenient to public transport or are in what we used to call "two fare" zones before the metrocard.
    This is probably true. But there are exceptions, which is why (if she has the chance to see the apartments in person and walk around the neighborhoods), they shouldn't be entirely crossed off the list.
    Well.... maybe red-hook should. Getting there is a long walk through an empty neighborhood no matter what train you take.

Roomates are good. I've paid about 900 to live in Carrol Gardens and about 800 to live on Eastern Parkway (1.5 blocks from subway, doorman building, dishwasher, and washer/dryer in basement). Friends have paid less than 600/person living in upper manhattan (160s) when they split the apartment between 4 people. You can't get prices like that living alone.

....and finally, [NY snob] she isn't coming to NYC to live in jersey.[/NY snob]
    My dog did not bite your dog, your dog bit first, and I don't have a dog.

I would also suggest the roommate option for the first year. Get a feel for the city, explore the different neighborhoods, see what you like, and then set off on your own for year 2. Additionally, New York can be a bit overwhelming, and its nice to have someone around to complain to every once in a while.

Here is a link to the NYC subway. You friend should look at neighborhoods which are on subway lines.

http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/nyct/maps/submap.htm
    Last edited by Stu Gotz; 06-21-2006 at 11:46 AM.
    Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well.