favorite 3-5 day hike in colorado?

got my 2 backpacking buddies coming out in august/september for a trip

neither one has hiked co i don't believe

i've heard chicago basin is pretty spectacular...yes?

maybe sections of the continental divide?

indian peaks?

asssspen area?

for reference and self fluffing, here are some pics from the last trip...4 days in the maddron bald area of tennessee, southeast section of the at

Jump on the Colorado Trail in Durango via the Narrow Gauge RR and enjoy.

adam is offline The Shred Pirate Roberts
    We hiked up Chicago last basin, and it is beautiful up there. It just rained on us, making it not so fun. Be warned, you have to ride that fucking train over there.

For the aspen area, a spectacular trip would be to spend your first night at Capitol Lake, below Capital Peak, hike past the bells and end up spending your last night by the Conundrom hot springs. could be around 4 ot five days depending, and some of the best views you'll ever see.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

I had a blast this past Labor Day weekend in Chicago Basin, even though it rained (and snowed) on me. You don't have to take the train in or out, but you seriously lengthen the hike if you do. It's ~ 6 miles from where the train drops you off, and you have 3 14ers to climb once you are there.

You really can't go wrong with anything in the San Juan range. We've done some sweet 3 day trips from the Lake City area. Just over the pass from Silverton, Ouray, etc....but much more low key. The only people that hike there seem to be bagging the 14ers in the area. If your not into that you'll have the place to yourself.

Anything in the sangres is pretty fun. Do it from the west side and you'll see less people. Add in some peaks that don't have 14 in their elevation for solitude

Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins
    For the aspen area, a spectacular trip would be to spend your first night at Capitol Lake, below Capital Peak, hike past the bells and end up spending your last night by the Conundrom hot springs. could be around 4 ot five days depending, and some of the best views you'll ever see.
    seconded...

There is a 4-5 day hike that circles the Maroon Bells/Pyramid massif called the 4 Passes hike. You start and end at Maroon Lake. I heave heard the beginning and end can be crowded on the weeknds but the middle section offers great views of the Bells that few ever see. I googled it once and found a girls TR on it. If I find it again I will post the link, although I am sure the FS in Aspen would be able to help to.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

"They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

anything in the san juans would be sweet. If you stay away from 14ers and Chicago Basin, you will likely not see a soul.

One fave of mine is a 3 day loop (could be done shorter) in the La Platas just west of Durango. drive up to Kennebec Pass and start from there, head out the Co Trail and then drop down to Bear Creek then hike back up Bear Cr and loop back to Kennebec. Some cool peaks to climb at the head of Bear Cr.

Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins
    Seconded, our family did this about 25 years ago, spectacular.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno
    anything in the san juans would be sweet. If you stay away from 14ers and Chicago Basin, you will likely not see a soul.

One fave of mine is a 3 day loop (could be done shorter) in the La Platas just west of Durango. drive up to Kennebec Pass and start from there, head out the Co Trail and then drop down to Bear Creek then hike back up Bear Cr and loop back to Kennebec. Some cool peaks to climb at the head of Bear Cr.

Shhhhhh....that's a personal favorite. Saw an elk calf being born up there once on a solo trip. I used to run away to K pass all the time when I lived there.

Quote Originally Posted by truth
    Shhhhhh....that's a personal favorite. Saw an elk calf being born up there once on a solo trip. I used to run away to K pass all the time when I lived there.
    The great thing is, though, that with the San Juans right there, the La Platas will always be the bastard step-child and thus uncrowded. Sure, people will always drive up to Kennebec, but once you walk past that lake (Taylor Lake?), there's nobody....

Quote Originally Posted by Danno
    The great thing is, though, that with the San Juans right there, the La Platas will always be the bastard step-child and thus uncrowded. Sure, people will always drive up to Kennebec, but once you walk past that lake (Taylor Lake?), there's nobody....
    Indeed. Taylor Lake is the invisible barrier for the day trippers. Pick any direction from there and you're as alone as you want.

Another great area to wander is is in the southern end of the Weminuche heading in from Missionary Ridge or Lemon Res. I've walked from Florida Rd to Chicago Basin and back.

Indeed. Taylor Lake is the invisible barrier for the day trippers. Pick any direction from there and you're as alone as you want.

Another great area to wander is is in the southern end of the Weminuche heading in from Missionary Ridge or Lemon Res. I've walked from Florida Rd to Chicago Basin and back.
    Ooh, yeah, I did Mountain View Crest (we did not hike down into the basin) in mid-July and never saw a single person.

Emerald Lake (also in the Weminuche) is supposed to be pretty sweet.

Hiking in elk calving areas - so hot right now.
    JONG

Chicago Basin is a beautiful place and the trail is in good shape and a nice even grade (3,000 vert in 6 miles), but you will undoubtedly be sharing it with a ton of other people if you take the train both ways. You can approach it from the south from above Lemon Resovior over Timble Pass, or up Vallecito Creek to Johnson Creek and you will avoid the crowds. I suggest saving it for a spring ski trip and you can ski three 14ners and have the Basin all to yourself.

Try the South San Juans around Pagosa Springs like the Continental Divide from Wolf Creek Pass, or any section between there and Silverton. That whole trip is about 5 days but any section is sweet and uncrowded.
    Gravity Junkie