Vets is offline Orange Mocha Frappuccino!

TR - Virginia Lakes, 6/10/06

Today I checked off another one on my to-do list, Virginia Lakes. I have been wanting to do this for years. I see it on my way to and from Mammoth. I have scouted it multiple times. Now finally I have experienced it. Sweet corn snow and beautiful views.

Here is a 3 picture sequence of me:

Here are a couple of my friend Curtis snowboarding:

I know that is is a little hard to find him in the second shot, but I wanted to share the amazing view.

I stitched together a panorama of the area:

We went down the center line (left of the bare area) of the peak to the left.

At the end of the day just before heading out I had change for a nickel for ski_rick. I was great to meet another maggot in the backcountry.

Virginia Lakes has moved from my to-do list to my to-do-again list.

Return trip the next day

I did say that it is on my to-do-again list, didn't I? After skiing Mammoth until their 2 PM closing I left wanting more. I remembered a nice snow patch near the area I took the panorama shots from. So I decided to check it out on my way home. Virginia Lakes (and "the right heel" of Dunderberg) is only 6 miles from 395.

The view of Mono Lake from "the right heel" of Dunderberg Peak, June 11, 2006:

I guess some would say the foot of the mountain, but it is near the bottom right side of the back side.

My ski tracks down "the right heel" of Dunderberg Peak:

I'm surprised that this picture even turned out considering I was taking the shot in the shade facing the sun.

The easy access to fresh corn was well worth the detour on the way home.

Nice

Cool Vets, lots of AT sking this weekend.

Question what was the temperature like? Its been cooler up here the past couple days (A good Thing)

Quote Originally Posted by MTT
    Cool Vets, lots of AT sking this weekend.

Question what was the temperature like? Its been cooler up here the past couple days (A good Thing)
    Thanks.

The temperature was ideal. Just warm enough to soften the snow a bit, but not so warm as to make the hike up hot or the snow too mushy later in the day.

Good to meet you Vets, always great to meet others out there getting some. Sadly, I left my camera on the kitchen counter when I left this weekend. Skiing South Peak there was sweet. The day before we hit the Ellery Bowl which was also a ton of fun.

Didn't ski today, went hiking with some friends in Lundy Canyon but on my way back towards Tahoe this afternoon I was checking out the road from VA Lakes to Green Creek and I saw your tracks!

Quote Originally Posted by ski_rick
    Good to meet you Vets, always great to meet others out there getting some. Sadly, I left my camera on the kitchen counter when I left this weekend. Skiing South Peak there was sweet. The day before we hit the Ellery Bowl which was also a ton of fun.

Didn't ski today, went hiking with some friends in Lundy Canyon but on my way back towards Tahoe this afternoon I was checking out the road from VA Lakes to Green Creek and I saw your tracks!
    Too bad you left your camera. I was looking forward to an Ellery TR.
    Did anything in Lundy Canyon look approachable and skiable?

Quote Originally Posted by Vets
    Too bad you left your camera. I was looking forward to an Ellery TR.
    Did anything in Lundy Canyon look approachable and skiable?
    Lundy is looking pretty burnt out at this point. The hiking trail gets really muddy just after the remains of the old cabin. Certainly some possibilities out there, but it would be a lot of work to get in.

Nice TR Vets!

Regarding Ellery or Lundy…………one word, CONNESS.
    so many mountains...so little time

www.splitboard.com

Way to get after it Vets...just as soon as I can settle down some of there personal issues, we need to make some turns...

You done for the summer already, right?

I just picked up summer school for the first time in 5 years (so I will not be as free this summer as I usually am), but given my situation, right now I NEED the money...
    "There's a truth that sanity denies...." --Sprung Monkey

VA Lakes… I really like that place, so many fun lines and aspects.
    The trumpet scatters its awful sound Over the graves of all lands Summoning all before the throne

Death and mankind shall be stunned When Nature arises To give account before the Judge

Originally posted by ski_rick
    Lundy is looking pretty burnt out at this point. The hiking trail gets really muddy just after the remains of the old cabin. Certainly some possibilities out there, but it would be a lot of work to get in.
    Thanks for the report. I'll have to hit it earlier next spring or get a boat for access this year.

Originally posted by bcrider
    Nice TR Vets!

Regarding Ellery or Lundy…………one word, CONNESS.
    Thanks. I wonder when the road to Saddlebag will be open. However, based on your previous TRs, that doesn't stop you.

Originally posted by Bodhi
    Way to get after it Vets...just as soon as I can settle down some of there personal issues, we need to make some turns...

You done for the summer already, right?

I just picked up summer school for the first time in 5 years (so I will not be as free this summer as I usually am), but given my situation, right now I NEED the money...
    Thanks. I'm sort of done for the summer. I'll also be doing summer school for 3 weeks in July. However, it is only 4 days a week, so that allows for three-day backcountry ski weekends
    Will you be up at Mammoth any days this month?

Originally posted by Walter Sobchak
    Schweet! This time last year, suncups in those parts were much, much deeper.

Nice to see the Vets summer ski season slowly ramping up ...
    So far the suncups are just in the flat areas.
    I really enjoy the post-season, it is like the playoffs of skiing. Fewer teams (less skiers/no crowds) and right now the conditions help maximize the fun-factor points.

Originally posted by Greydon Clark
    VA Lakes… I really like that place, so many fun lines and aspects.
    I agree. I'm just getting to know the place a little better.

I skied near Red Lakes peak for the first time yesterday. It was great. I hope to put together a TR by tomorrow.

Vets, my only suggestions with VA Lakes is to go a little earlier in the year, not that the coverage is bad for mid-June!
    The trumpet scatters its awful sound Over the graves of all lands Summoning all before the throne

Death and mankind shall be stunned When Nature arises To give account before the Judge

Quote Originally Posted by Vets
    I wonder when the road to Saddlebag will be open. However, based on your previous TRs, that doesn't stop you.
    I would guess it will be at least mid July before the road opens...by then the snow will be beat.

Go now!!!
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=55571
    so many mountains...so little time

www.splitboard.com

nicely done summer skiing fanaticman. what part of red lake peak didya ski vets and how was it??? prolly gonna try to drive up crater lake rd this sat w/ sierra cement to get some on the n side of the peak. its been a couple weeks but the se avy gully was skiing great and we got it confirmed from chp that its cool to park in the avy danger zone pullouts in the spring and summer.