Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Who here is "living the dream"?

Or a better question perhaps: What is the definition of "living the dream"?

IMO, the dream is defined as getting paid a decent wage to ski/travel to ski.

The wage would need to be enough to buy a house, raise a family, save money and retire.

So what's your 'dream' and who's actually living it?

The dream, by your definition, has probably only been lived by a handful of people ever.

To me. Living the dream, is just being able to ride/ski at a destination, you really enjoy. Have a house there, family.. So forth.

Sure i'd like to get paid to ride, but being sponsored can also take the fun out of it, because your forced to do things, sometimes you may not want to do.

I wish i could be living the dream.
    "The riding never stops" Craig Kelly

Far from my dreams, but close enough to "get by" and have some fun doing it.

Last summer in Chile I hung out and skiied with a guy living it. He was guide in Chamonix in the winter, spent the springs running his heli-ski operation in Kamchatka, Russia and the summers he was hosting clients in South America/NZ. He had a wife,a coulpe of kids, he seemed to be living the dream to me.

After his Chile trip he had a 3 week mtb 'vacation' in Colorado!

I do...

for now

Own my own consulting company , making great money , living in tahoe for 16 years now , 116 day 15 year average at squaw , great family!

I make love to more beautiful women in their dreams- than SuperPunani has ever even dreamed about!

just ask DDAY!

who's asking? fuking JONG!
    Last edited by MacDaddy; 06-11-2006 at 11:31 AM.
    Points on their own sitting way up high

Just got back from King s and Corn, 67 heli drops, 200,000 ft of coolys and sick ramps.
    Fully comped TR to follow soon.
    This is the dream!

I recently moved away from Pittsburgh to work as a ski instructor at Snowbird(let the JONGing begin...), I will be back next year, and trying to get job at Treble cone for the summer of 07, Make ok money. I get 3 earlier trams a morning, and on my time off I get to ski some of sickest terrain at any resort, with some of sickest people I have skied with, not to mention the touring possiablities. It was like dream to me, and you cna ask everyone I met there I smiled alot.

Quote Originally Posted by xyz
    Last summer in Chile I hung out and skiied with a guy living it. He was guide in Chamonix in the winter, spent the springs running his heli-ski operation in Kamchatka, Russia and the summers he was hosting clients in South America/NZ. He had a wife,a coulpe of kids, he seemed to be living the dream to me.

After his Chile trip he had a 3 week mtb 'vacation' in Colorado!
    have you ever guided? often - it is very far from being a dream.

Hmmmm, 150+ day seasons for the last three years. And still as excited about it all as the very first day I tossed myself down the side of a mountain. Silly excited. Stupid excited. Now I'm thrilled to be turning kids on to the sport, kids from Miami to Denver to Summit Cove. And I've got a ton of friends that rip and a boyfriend that is a true inspiration. And the Colorado mountains taunt me and call me every single day. Mir, come here!

Not ready to wake up...

edit - oh, I'm supposed to make money too? At this point in my life I'm unwilling to compromise myself for money. I did it for too long. SuPu or Cletus or somebody clever has a saying about skiing and money. You'd think I would remember it, since it's my modus operandi.
    Last edited by SheRa; 06-11-2006 at 07:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by greg
    have you ever guided? often - it is very far from being a dream.
    Guiding is a tough job, you have to be nice to @@$h0LE$ and treat them like the king. It has its up days though- when you have nice people. I've guided in several sports and it isn't a cakewalk.

Dream living??? I'm prettty close, have a wonderful wife and beautiful family and get to play alot.

And I'm broke more often than not.

Nearly everyday I hear that people would like to trade with me.

Just because you're rich, doesn't mean you're happy.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by xyz
    Last summer in Chile I hung out and skiied with a guy living it
    That guy was living your dream. He's only doing all that shit because couldn't get into podiatry school and is afraid to tell his parents he's gay.

Some might think living close to the Andes and having Las Leñas as my home mountain would be the dream. It is when Marte is open, but like everything, the grass is always greener on the other side. Speaking of green grass, got any, it is all schwags down here?

Here is a sunset photo from the farm towards the mighty Andes!
    Last edited by enlosandes; 06-11-2006 at 09:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by enlosandes
    Speaking of green grass, got any, it is all schwags down here?
    Given my current dry spell and painful hangover I would be happy with even schwag.

I don't know if I am living the dream but pretty close for now and loving every minute of it. Live in Aspen, work for a backcountry hut system, have a girlfriend who is way out of my league but still loves me for some reason and is always willing to follow me down almost anything on skis. Sometimes I wish my family was closer but we are fortunate enough to be able to afford regular family trips(Montana this summer) so I can't really complain. Hope everyone is coming close and if not....just go for it pussies!!

P.S. Roo is pretty close to my dream, you lucky SOB
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

I've decided to live the nightmare instead.

Beautiful wife, great kids, nice house...4 on 4 off job with great flexibility in a mountain town until 2029 when I move back to the ocean to surf and sail. This is pretty much it.

I work three days a week, live 10 minutes from 500+"/year snowfall, 5 minutes from tons of killer climbing/trails/biking/running.

Not too bad. Not a dream, but life is pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA
    I recently moved away from Pittsburgh to work as a ski instructor at Snowbird(let the JONGing begin...)
    where in the 'burgh are you from? i was raised out in the north hills, but had been living in shadyside for about five years. go stillers.

Shadyside, our HS swim team (Cleveland) used to go against Shadyside every year--kicked their asses!
    They were pretty good, actually, we just had an absurdly good team. Stupid swimmers.
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead
    Not too bad. Not a dream, but life is pretty good.
    That's sort of the way I'm feeling at the moment, even though the EC isn't the greatest of anything. It's all pretty good, at least compared to where I came from; decent skiing, plenty of good biking and I like the job I have.

My one goal was to get the hell out of MN, I accomplished that.

My dreams change depending on what time of bed I go to sleep.

I think for most people the trick isn't finding your dream....it's finding yourself.

Sorry, maybe too "that's deep, man" but so much truth to it. humans have an inherent tendency, particularly in modern society, to see the grass as greener on the other side of the fence.

There's lots of things I'd like to do and few things I'd like to stop doing. But as long as I'm close to wilderness and can enjoy the beauty of a sunrise in the am and a sunset in the pm, I should be happy.

I guess that rules out jail time and Seattle!

yeah, i'm working at the dream. switched careers, moved across the country, etc. dumped a secure, well-paying job that was killing my soul in order to work in a position that was more interesting for me and hopefully helping to better the lives of others. it's probably true that a some of the spark for my move and the changes i've made came from the inspiration this board at times can provide. back in the day, it was me who was drawing mountainscapes on my junior high notebooks. you know, doodling the logos of ski companies in the margins of homework assignments... trying to rent warren miller, stump or rap films at the local video store. it was crazy how quickly my life started to move in a direction away from those childhood dreams and aspirations, and how much trouble and stuggle i've had to go through in order to re-adjust my course.

for me, i guess the dream has been much more about how i'm living and in which direction i'm headed. i moved out west to become a school teacher and to ski bigger mountains. school just ended for the summer, and now i've got a few months in a beautiful environment to relax and enjoy. with one year of teaching under my belt, i'm sure that next year will be more relaxed and manageable.

basically, with the right perspective i think the dream is always evolving but never seems too far out of reach.