Thread: Scarpa Aliens

Scarpa Aliens

I came across what appears
    to be a good deal on some lightly used some Scarpa Aliens- this version :

https://skimo.co/scarpa-alien-boots?...iABEgLJZ_D_BwE

First hand experience with down hill performance? Are these all about the up at the cost of fun going down or do they achieve a balance? I’m looking to lighten by BC setup which includes about the heaviest tele boots and bindings one can get (T1s and AXLs) but I value the down over the up so I’m not interested in feather weight gear that makes actually skiing a struggle.

Quick answer: Don't do it.

I've used them extensively and IME they require a skinny ski (80's or less), good technique, and good conditions.

For not much more money, you could get something heavier that both tours well and skis well.

I skied mine this last weekend on Salomon Mtn Ex 95 skis. They are a dream on the up or hiking...skiing down, they are less of a ski boot than the TLT6, which has been kind of a minimum for me in the past.

I reckon I could just ski better and make them work, but I certainly wouldn't use a bigger ski. And I wouldn't be going super fast, especially in variable snow.

If you want light and downhill performance, ZGTP is your boot. I've put a solid month on them and they are pretty close to perfect for touring and still hammering downhill.

I agree, the plastic aliens aren't worth it, weight to performance is not great. Heaps of better options(though maybe not for the money if you have a really good deal)

I wouldn't use those for anything beyond racing/race training and I like ultralight skimo-style gear. The black Aliens, the Fischer Carbon Travers, TLT7s, Scarpa F1s etc all would be a huge step up in skiing performance, if you can find em cheaper. Compared to the T1s any modern AT boot is gonna feel light though lol

"I’m not interested in feather weight gear that makes actually skiing a struggle."

Then my understanding is that these boots are not for you.

Thanks for the input guys. Everything I read about them was that they are great going up but not a big ski driver on the way down. Just saw em come up in a FB group and they were the right size so they caught my eye. My BC skis are 105 and Colorado BC kinda defines “variable” conditions.
    Last edited by GPP33; 10-16-2018 at 06:24 PM.