Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinecure View Post
    If the 11 DIN is enough for you, the Marker Squire works pretty well with my Dynafit ZZeus. YMMV. The Squire has a ramped, adjustable, moving AFD a la Duke/Baron. It doesn't adjust down as much as the Duke, but its working well for me. And my shop mounted them knowing I was going to use them with AT boots.
    It's been over a year now... any update?

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ski to Be View Post
    It would seem that the boot makers would see the light especially with them moving towards a one boot quiver. Just make a variant or in the Cochise a tech sole with din toe and no Vibram sole. It seems like a simple solution.
    who the hell would want to run a Dynafit binding without a Vibram sole? that's retarded.

someone who is using the boot on a dynafit setup that on occassion skies hard pack on other skis while say on vacation or during low snow years or has multiple skis for hard conditions and doesn't want to sit in the parking lot changing soles
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

Hugh Conway Guest
    someone who is using the boot on a dynafit setup that on occassion skies hard pack on other skis while say on vacation or during low snow years or has multiple skis for hard conditions and doesn't want to sit in the parking lot changing soles
    touring boots without vibram = audi awd with slick tires driving to the ski area. I've never heard anyone touring say "I wish I had plastic soles on my boots, that'd rock for this hike!"

Are most people running full dynafit set ups who are on their occasional trip to the ski resort to ride their alpine set up on super tight budgets? This sort of seems like a non problem to me.

Quote Originally Posted by josef View Post
    Are most people running full dynafit set ups who are on their occasional trip to the ski resort to ride their alpine set up on super tight budgets? This sort of seems like a non problem to me.
    Huh? I just want one pair of boots that will click into my 'fits and my 997s. If by budget you mean don't want to shell out and travel with another pair of shoes..then yes...my budget is super tight.

there is no reason a DIN compatible tech soles don't exist. make a small patch smooth for the AFD, no rocker, and still have vibram.

this is not rocket surgery.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Yep. Liability, combined with the manufacturers wanting you to own at least two of everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Huh? I just want one pair of boots that will click into my 'fits and my 997s. If by budget you mean don't want to shell out and travel with another pair of shoes..then yes...my budget is super tight.
    If your budget is so tight you should just ski your 'fits...

Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post
    Yep. Liability, combined with the manufacturers wanting you to own at least two of everything.
    salomon, tecnica, rossignol, lange and fisher all make DIN compatible soles with vibram-style sticky rubber soles. just saying.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by josef View Post
    The issue is not money. I just want a one boot quiver. It takes a while to get a boot dialed and I want a tech capable boot that I can just click into my alpine bindings when I want to without screwing around with changing soles. Don't care that much either way about Vibram soles. My Cochise has a flat Vibram and I can ski Sollys so I am good
    Last edited by Ski to Be; 04-06-2012 at 11:39 PM.

In the PNW 95 percent of the time we are touring from the car and seldom hike in unless it is summer. If you are kicking in steps the Vibrams make very little difference

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    salomon, tecnica, rossignol, lange and fisher all make DIN compatible soles with vibram-style sticky rubber soles. just saying.
    That's a longer list than I thought. Once I get my boots dialed, I use them until they fall apart, so I'm not up on what's new. Now if one of those guys added tech inserts (that worked)...

Hugh Conway Guest
    If you are kicking in steps the Vibrams make very little difference
    Bullshit. Next time watch people bootpacking at Crystal; easy to see who's got Vibram/lugged soles and who doesn't. If you are never walking why do Tech bindings matter that much to you other than internet wanking?

Hugh are you a rep for Vibram? I use tech bindings to skin

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums app

Hugh Conway Guest
    I'm still wondering where you "skin" and how you "tour" without never wanting real soles on boots. Indoors? shit, even the faggots like you who'd beat off over the muir hut want vibram soles.

Done talking to you. Have a nice day

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    who the hell would want to run a Dynafit binding without a Vibram sole? that's retarded.
    Vibram soles do absolutely nothing while in a tech binding skinning. Hugh, not everyone out there is hanging off of a vertical rock wall while touring. Maybe you are super rad like that, but the majority of my touring consists of skinning. I just want one pair of boots that I don't have to fuck with every time I want to ski a different ski. Makes sense to me...not sure what you don't get?
    Marshal, as usual, is spot on. Has anyone emailed one of these companies to ask them about this? I will email Bart (Tecnica PM) and see if he'll pass the info along. Can't hurt.
    Life is all about ass...either you are covering it,
    kicking it, hauling it, kissing it, or trying to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
    Vibram soles do absolutely nothing while in a tech binding skinning. Hugh, not everyone out there is hanging off of a vertical rock wall while touring. Maybe you are super rad like that, but the majority of my touring consists of skinning. I just want one pair of boots that I don't have to fuck with every time I want to ski a different ski. Makes sense to me...not sure what you don't get?
    Marshal, as usual, is spot on. Has anyone emailed one of these companies to ask them about this? I will email Bart (Tecnica PM) and see if he'll pass the info along. Can't hurt.
    I just don't believe that if you are accessing goods you don't need vibram soles in some (many) instances. I usually go from skinning to a boot pack climb over rocks, thread a needle , back to skinning, back to climbing or bootpacking. This is not even ski mountaineering. Hell sometimes that routine is inbounds hike to or side or slack, H.C.'s delivery may be harsh but he is right. Non vibram type soles will eventually lead to falling and an accident. And they definitely contribute to harder ascents and less ability to access terrain.

On the main topic for this thread note, I just found my receipt last night (while cleaning) for my Zzeus purchase in Dec 2008. I have used them with Dukes, Mojo 15, Tyrolia TD8 (same as mojo) and dynafit bindings. The Zzeus deliver, hence I purchased a 2nd pair for back up off this forum which I have still not even used. You have to dial in the DIN to work with whatever binding you are using. This is trial and error starting low and letting skis pop off and eject and then adjusting with screwdriver in field. The DIN won't work like a traditional boot and alpine binding setup. It has to be dialed. It is my one boot quiver since 2008.

I would like to add that I have NEVER used the alpine soles on the Zzeus boots. I have only used the AT soles and have been since I bought them in 2008 in all bindings mentioned above. And, yep they release when they need to.
    Last edited by MiCol; 09-04-2012 at 07:58 AM.
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

Quote Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
    ...Hugh, not everyone out there is hanging off of a vertical rock wall while touring. Maybe you are super rad like that, but the majority of my touring consists of skinning...
    This doesn't make sense to me. Plenty of situations OB - or even sidebounds - where plastic soles could end you that don't involve hanging off a rock wall. Crust or suncups or patches of refrozen, or the occasional stretch of exposed rock+snow you encounter around trees or getting to the top of the goods. Or ever had to cross a partly frozen stream?

Agree that Marshal has it right, though. Not the biggest technological stretch. In fact, isn't the Virus doing something like that this year with its soles? Seem to recall Plake showing the tech in a video.

In the PNW 95 percent of the time we are touring from the car and seldom hike in unless it is summer.
    Hmmmmmm. I walked at least 1 mile -- and often longer -- or scrambled up something on 40% of my tours last season, same as most touring seasons. Do you stop touring in April? Do you hit the tours up by WA Pass and up the Teanaway? Mt. Baker tours after May? etc., etc.

The issue addressed by this thread doesn't matter to me. I'll always have rockered/treaded/tech AT boots for touring.

Fuck this, get back on topic.

Anyone tested Chochise/bodacious tech soles in Alpine bindings such as Salomon with the adjustable toe height? I ran this all season last year (with a little bit of a grind down on the afd area of the sole) without any problems but haven't tested it in a machine.

Quote Originally Posted by rob stokes View Post

Anyone tested Chochise/bodacious tech soles in Alpine bindings such as Salomon with the adjustable toe height? I ran this all season last year (with a little bit of a grind down on the afd area of the sole) without any problems but haven't tested it in a machine.
    Samesies. Mine released fine at the toe, unmodified. But test results would be nice to read.

Quote Originally Posted by rob stokes View Post

i didn't personally test a pair, but a buddy that i trust did and said with proper adjustment, and unmodified cochise released in spec in a salomon driver (sth16) binding. YMMV, and always test before doing, and any other caveat that is relevant.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    ...and always test before doing, and any other caveat that is relevant.
    Yeah, one thing I'd emphasize is that our joints aren't well supplied with nerve endings that can detect differences in shear force. I'd want a machine, not just that it felt OK on release. ACL's tend to feel fine until just before they pop. Also IMO it isn't a single bench test or two you use as proof of spec, it's if you release with a Vibram 20 times, how much difference will there be highest to lowest force at release? And throw in some real world conditions, like dirt or grit in the tread. Or different down loadings on the soles as the lateral force is applied.