Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ingrown toenail, procedure cost?

If I just went in to a podiatrist and paid for an ingrown toenail to get cut out (assuming it needed to be), without insurance, does anybody have any idea how much that might cost?

I'm hoping not too much.
    ROBOTS ARE EATING MY FACE.

had same problem. stop cuttin back the nail, and just let it grow out. mines taken about 2 months but it finally doesnt hurt anymore. wear flip flops alot

How bad is it? I personally would think of pulling it out myself!
    Check this site out...

http://familydoctor.org/208.xml

"What is the best treatment for a painful ingrown toenail?
    When the problem is mild, you may only need to soak your foot in warm water for 15 to 20 minutes and place dry cotton, such as part of a cotton ball, under the corner of the nail. Signs that the problem is getting worse include increasing pain, swelling and drainage of the area. Sometimes minor surgery is needed to remove the part of the nail that is poking into the skin."
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing

Right, the minor surgery, just wondering if anyone knows the out of pocket cost?
    ROBOTS ARE EATING MY FACE.

I had insurance when I had mine done, but it seems to me the bill was in the many-hundreds to 1K range. It took the doctor all of 5 minutes to do it, but the local anesthetic is expensive. And having watched what they do to your toe, you will need the local anesthetic.

anesthetic? Pfft

My sadistic GP just jammed a pair a clippers right up the middle of the nail and cut the ingrown part out. Took all of 30 sec. Cost was a just a bit more than a regular visit.

I've had 2 of 'em taken out. They were the variety which were too far gone for cotton. You're looking at at least several hundred. If you can manage to cut out a little pie-piece of nail to relieve the pressure, that usually works.

And if you do go in to have it removed, make sure the numb it WITHOUT epinephrine. The asshat doc who removed mine on a Sunday in the sleepy ER used epi and my toe was numb for 72 hours. Not a good thing.

I had one foot done. Even though it was free on the NHS over here, I just pulled out the other other when it flared up. It was far less painful than the nerve block they gave with the first one :S

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

I had the nail permanently removed from both big toes after many years of problems. Wish I would have done it sooner. Not too much pain either except for the 4 shots of local into each toe - shiiiiiiiiiiiit! Had the surgery on Friday afternoon and was able to work by Monday and fully recovered in a week. Now my toes look a little funky but no more issues!

Quote Originally Posted by bossass
    If I just went in to a podiatrist and paid for an ingrown toenail to get cut out (assuming it needed to be), without insurance, does anybody have any idea how much that might cost?

I'm hoping not too much.
    No...not too much....

Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

1st rule of uninsured medical procedures?

GET A WRITTEN ESTIMATE!
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

I don't know costs, but I've had a bunch of these over the years, some solved with partial excision, some with whole. Make sure the doc knows you're paying out of pocket and he may bill you kindly.
    I can also tell you that there may be wrong ways to cut the nail, but there's no way to cut that can definitely prevent this. It just happens to some people, and ski boots are not our friends. I've learned to clip my nail very deeply when necessary (sometimes painful) and this has helped and saved me a few extra visits to my good friend the podiatrist.
    [quote][//quote]

how do u fix this problem at home

I perform my own surgery periodically. I have a small but sharp pair of scissors, and I trim the part that digs into my skin out carefully. Then I use a metal file and file it as far as I can. Usually lasts until the next time I have to cut my nails.

in the amount of time this thread has taken you could have gotten 10 quotes from Dr's offices. It will cost you less than they bill insurance companies definitely. Do yourself a favor and just call..

And the guy with no big toenails. You can have bigtoe sex now! lucky you!
    I could go on, and on, and on...but who cares

try cutting a "V" on the top of the toenail. Worked for my Dad & Grandfather, but In the end I needed mine removed (Football Cleats) <--Fuckers!!!!!
    Whoa, what you gotta say?? Whoa, girls turn 18 every day!!!
    --Vandals

Quote Originally Posted by Woodlandclown View Post
    in the amount of time this thread has taken you could have gotten 10 quotes from Dr's offices. It will cost you less than they bill insurance companies definitely. Do yourself a favor and just call..

And the guy with no big toenails. You can have bigtoe sex now! lucky you!
    How will he get his hand around it?

i live in Northern Ireland,
    did mine using scalpel and needle nosed pliers was a bad idea
    it blead a fair amount and actually grew back worse,
    ended up having to get it done on insurance, think the claim was for about 450 GBP

definatly just go and get it done. I had one that was pretty bad about a month or so ago, and I was worried after everyone I talked to said how much the needle hurt. Compared to what it feels like to hike on one of those bloody things (and it my case, it literally was quite bloody and oozing), I barely felt the needle that so many people bitch about. After that, you're fine, no more pain!!! Had to stay out of the field for a couple days, because the compression bandage that they put on it is too big to fit into my hiking boots, but after that, I was good to go again.

eh. i personally don't think it's something that needs a doctor's visit... unless you actually want the nail removed. all you need to do is file down the sides as far as possible, and continue the process as the nail grows out. i did it over the course of a few months and i used to have severe in grown nails. now i have purty feet. one would think i was a girl

Ummm. ^ 2 years old Ok?
    i wish i never chose that user_name

Whitedot Freeride

Quote Originally Posted by soho View Post
    eh..... all you need to do is file down the sides as far as possible, and continue the process as the nail grows out.
    Having a hard time visualizing what you mean here: by definition the "side" of the nail is overgrown with tissue, so do you mean the top of the side? the side of the front edge??

Alternative solution: buckle up your ski boots nice and tight and then run about 75 meters, or a single lap around the parking lot, deal with black toenail(s) until they fall off, hope the ingrown problem doesn't re-occur with the new nail.

Okay, it may only be temporary, but it's free!

The best method of ingrown toenail removal

have them both permanently removed. It was about $300 for each and completely worth it.

Never have this problem again. I'm so glad I did it.