Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bountiful DH

Bountiful DH

So, my first DH race of the season will be weekend after next, (June 3/4), the Bountiful Bomber. http://www.go-ride.com/race_series.html

Haven't actually riden there before, thinking of heading up tomorrow to take a few trial runs, scope things out before official practice the 3rd...

Any beta? It's self shuttle? Or is there a shuttle for hire? What have your experiences there been? Any pictures?

I hear a scary story about Altagirl crashing at the finish and crawling across the finish dragging her bike...

Anyone interested in heading up there tomorrow morning? (i.e. a guide for this Bountiful jong....hee hee)
    This touchy-feely Kumbaya shit has got to go.

http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-st...0_4583crx.aspx

found this on a quick search, sound wicked
    More fucked up than a cricket in a hubcap

Quote Originally Posted by Crinkle
    http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-st...0_4583crx.aspx

found this on a quick search, sound wicked
    Yeah, I read that too, shudder, okay, not shudder, it's exciting. Grin.

Bump....

The Bountiful course is WAY easier than any other DH course I've ever ridden. No shuddering required, just shuttling. The ride is fun, the shuttling is less so.

A little more detail - the top is all doubletrack. Rutted out, but decent berms so it's fast as hell. There are some medium sized loose rocks that get moved around, but the dangerous part is that there are quads on it all the time - in my freaking race run last year I damn near got run over by 4 quads that ducked the rope and were riding up the race course. Geniuses. Expect quads on the fire-road at all times.

Once you hit the turnoff on the singletrack, there's no chance of uphill traffic. Really steep, but fun and pretty flowy. A few roots and rocks, but mosty dry and steep S's. There are almost no drops, there's no real rock garden, just a finish line drop/jump and one towards the end that you can get some air on.
    Last edited by altagirl; 05-25-2006 at 06:45 PM.
    "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow, what a Ride!"

Hey AG, how would you compare it to say Amasa Back or Porcupine? When you say steep, LPS chute steep or what? I am thinking of doing it since I have this nice big bike and rarely use it. Figure if it's mellow enough the back/neck issues will be ok. Hell, UPS/Porc was fine the other day. It would just be nice to ride full out without always being in someone elses way on a public trail. Of course quads kill that a bit. So self shuttling it is. I might need some help with that. I've only got 1 rack that can carry a big bike.

BTW - I can't find entry fees or any of that reg. stuff on-line. ??? Also, the other weekend we setup our own shuttle for UPS and it was super easy, as long as I had the racks and cars I think I would do that when there are more than two riders. Probably was less than $10 in gas total and no banged up bike worries. I'm used to self shuttling from years of kayaking. I just think of it as good downtime

Steep as in similar to the S's after the chute steep, but on skinnier singletrack usually with a rut in the middle. But only in one section. Just look around the corners and try to not lock up the brakes and you're fine.

The shuttle isn't bad, but the road gets stutter bumped. No big deal.

Race info is here but they don't have many details filled in. http://go-ride.com/race_series.html#bount1 But I was at Go-Ride and they had entry forms on the counter. If you're around there it's probably easiest to just stop in and grab one.

Honestly, I'm still not supposed to do anything that could result in a "big wreck" according to my surgeon. But I'd feel comfortable riding this trail right now (if I had my new bike - my current bike is sitting down at Slickrock with a for sale sign...) Just not racing. It's when you're going mach stupid on the fire road that a wreck wouldn't be good.
    Last edited by altagirl; 05-25-2006 at 07:31 PM.
    "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow, what a Ride!"

Apparently you can't register online, and can't register at the race on race day (that's what the registration form says at least, I bet they don't stick to that, but then, don't count on it), so you need to pick up a form from Go-Ride and get 'er mailed in.

I was going to head up there tomorrow, but since there's only two of us, a day of shuttling and taking turns with so few riders didn't sound too fun, plus a bunch of stuff came up that Ski Monkey has to do tomorrow anyway.

So, we're debating going to Moab Sun/Mon, but if we DON'T go, then we'll go up to Bountiful on Sunday for some practice and Sundance for the Super-D on Monday. Got a few other people lined up to go Sun as well with or without us, so the shuttling would be more effective, grin.

From past experience, when they let people register the day of the race, everything gets thrown way off schedule because it takes so long to get the order straightened out.

If you can't register the day of, you could always call or have someone register for you and pay them the day of, etc. As long as they can put your name in the right spot in the running order before the day of the race, they'll probably be happy. (and possibly even on schedule)

Talking

Now that Snowbird is closing I think I might try this race.

Quote Originally Posted by Shepherd Wong
    Now that Snowbird is closing I think I might try this race.
    If we don't go to Moab tomorrow morning (we'll know this afternoon), then we're headed up to Bountiful tomorrow to do some riding / check it out / practice, if you want to come. The more the merrier, since it's a shuttle run and we have to take turns driving the vehicle(s) down to the bottom to pick up riders.

Bump if anyone's interested in meeting us up there around 11:00am...we finally decided that we're going tomorrow.

Weather forecast is sunny and 65 degrees so it should be nice. We can share vehicles for to shuttle up...PM me for my number.

Talking

Can't make it tomorrow because it's Snowbird's last day. But I will do the race provided my helmet makes it here in time. I'll be there to run the course on Saturday.

Can't make it tomorrow because it's Snowbird's last day. But I will do the race provided my helmet makes it here in time. I'll be there to run the course on Saturday.
    Oh snap, forgot about that. Hmmm...

Report...

Well, the two of us headed up this morning to shuttle each other up / take turns. My first run, completely missed the turn-off to the Wake Up Call singletrack, and ended up adventuring my way down a stupid steep face. Hmm. Oops...

Second run, ran into some friends (who asked, "you were the crazy one we saw riding down that face?" Mwah hah hah..) and joined their truck-shuttle operation (yay!) and they showed us the correct trail...good thing 'cause that's the hard part of the course and I never would have found it on my own.

The upper part of the course is flowy, not too rough/difficult, and heaps of fun. Super fast. Berms. Rollers. The lower part, I suppose, is not TOO technically difficult either but is SUPER steep, looks a lot scarier and harder than it really is, and is really fast as well, and I'll admit I was QUITE intimidated for the first run!

Second run much better, a lot more confidence in my growing ability and in what my bike can handle.

This race is going to be a blast. Though, our friend said she had a race time of about 6 minutes last summer - wow! Can't get the two to mesh in my hnead - that course, 6 minutes (that's why she's a pro, eh?). Heh, if I get a sub-10 minute time, I'll be dancing with joy.

Shepherd Wong, I'll see you Saturday...
    Last edited by yentna; 05-29-2006 at 09:34 PM.

I had a 6:18 last year. Considering my expedition launching myself off the side of the trail off that jump/drop at the end and your aforementioned crawling up the finish line jump, I guess it wasn't all that bad...

At least I entertained the audience, I guess...
    Last edited by altagirl; 05-29-2006 at 09:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by altagirl
    I had a 6:18 last year. Considering my expedition launching myself off the side of the trail off that jump/drop at the end and your aforementioned crawling up the finish line jump, I guess it wasn't all that bad...

I can see how easy it would be to do what you did there. Both jumps by themselves are pretty tame and even fun, but with the way the speed throws you off that step down and then your shocks are still rebounding as you hit that step up.....well, you know the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by yentna
    Well, the two of us headed up this morning to shuttle each other up / take turns. My first run, completely missed the turn-off to the Wake Up Call singletrack, and ended up adventuring my way down a stupid steep face. Hmm. Oops...

Second run, ran into some friends (who asked, "you were the crazy one we saw riding down that face?" Mwah hah hah..) and joined their truck-shuttle operation (yay!) and they showed us the correct trail...good thing 'cause that's the hard part of the course and I never would have found it on my own.

The upper part of the course is flowy, not too rough/difficult, and heaps of fun. Super fast. Berms. Rollers. The lower part, I suppose, is not TOO technically difficult either but is SUPER steep, looks a lot scarier and harder than it really is, and is really fast as well, and I'll admit I was QUITE intimidated for the first run!

Second run much better, a lot more confidence in my growing ability and in what my bike can handle.

This race is going to be a blast. Though, our friend said she had a race time of about 6 minutes last summer - wow! Can't get the two to mesh in my hnead - that course, 6 minutes (that's why she's a pro, eh?). Heh, if I get a sub-10 minute time, I'll be dancing with joy.

Shepherd Wong, I'll see you Saturday...
    Can't wait. Will we be able to shuttle ourselves up? I don't have to work Friday so I might try to explore the course then.

Can't wait. Will we be able to shuttle ourselves up? I don't have to work Friday so I might try to explore the course then.
    It's self-shuttle normally, so if you go Friday, it'll be on your own. Though, it may be possible to hook up with someone in the parking lot if they've got room in a truck, maybe throw in some gas / beer money or something. I was lucky in that we ran into friends and hopped in with them, but it seemed pretty chill like you could maybe hook up with some strangers. Good luck. If I didn't have to work Friday, I'd offer to go with & shuttle together.

Quote Originally Posted by altagirl

Heh, it seems like that moment is forever memorialized...several people mentioned it yesterday. Granted, they know you....

Well, speaking of race times, I timed our runs with my HR monitor, but it's not too accurate 'cause it started at the top of the trail instead of the race start, finished after the pedal up the hill after the finish drops, and all the chat breaks we took in between. With all that, it was taking about 15 minutes, so....maybe I'll surprise myself and break 8. A stretch. But I'm quite excited!
    Last edited by yentna; 05-30-2006 at 10:23 AM.

Wink

For any lazy dudes/dudettes, I haven't signed up yet. I went to Go-ride to get some crap yesterday and they said it would almost certainly fill up and to get there early Saturday to sign up.

I'm meeting a few folks at 1400 on Friday to practice, come on up. On Saturday, there will be a LOT of trucks running up the road, no problem getting a ride. Sunday we have to use the shuttle but no big deal, the cost is included with registering.
    "People blame me because these water mains break, but I ask you, if the
    water mains didn't break, would it be my responsibility to fix them then?
    WOULD IT!?!"
    - M. Barry,
    Mayor of Washington, DC

Exclamation

Does 1400 mean 2:00 pm?

Does 1400 mean 2:00 pm?
    yes

I'm wussin out. My spine is flaring up and this is just a bad idea right now I wouldn't mind riding the coarse sometime and/or watching the festivities though. Do you have to be registered to ride the coarse Saturday?

Quote Originally Posted by phatfreeheeler
    I'm wussin out. My spine is flaring up and this is just a bad idea right now I wouldn't mind riding the coarse sometime and/or watching the festivities though. Do you have to be registered to ride the coarse Saturday?
    Nope, State races are very low key. Just show up and ride all day on Saturday (on Sunday you need a number plate to be on the course).
    "People blame me because these water mains break, but I ask you, if the
    water mains didn't break, would it be my responsibility to fix them then?
    WOULD IT!?!"
    - M. Barry,
    Mayor of Washington, DC