Colorado Conditions

I see that some are still throwing down lines this week even with the super warm temps. Are people seeing things I'm not seeing? Is the snow freezing at higher elevations? We haven't even tried since last weekend...just checked temps yesterday at 10,000 feet on NOAA and in our area said 41F at 3am!

Be careful out there, let us know how deep the freeze is if it is freezing at all, and let us know what area you are talking about. Should have posted this elsewhere but nobody seems to respond when you do.

Last night the low was 42 at my house at 9500' (MT CB). 46 the night before. I think that most locations are getting a light freeze up high. The best bet is probably super early or lower-angled descents. We are getting close to a point where the snowpack is so mature that free water drains out and it's a bit different. After all, if you ski something in July chances are it didn't freeze. (Not that accidents haven't happened in summer) The next week looks a little colder, I hope.

just got back from quandry. Made a super early descent of cristo couloir with a very light freeze and much postholing even on the well packed trail. I felt comfortable about skiing it b/c when i ski cut it, i didnt break through the top layer and nothing sluffed, and there was definitly a lot of melting, but if youre out there super early at high elevations SOME places are freezing, you just have to get lucky and get a nice clear night where the temps drop. be careful out there. Heading to some 14ers past hoosier pass tommorow or pikes peak after the pooter canyon concert tonight and will let you know what its like tommorow. be safe out there