Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

TR Mount Bierstadt (I got snaked!) 2006-05-18

This one's for you, Fritz.

I've needed a little nudge, actually a big kick in the arse to get moving through these mountains this spring. Some kind of ennui. Between shepherding from Fritz and Dave and all the TRs I've been reading, hopefully I'll get back my mojo.

Every year solo tours offer such big challenges and satisfaction. Finding my own way. And every year I'm ready for more, so I set my sights on some fourteeners this spring. But when I go to the bottom of Quandary to make a climb and then just turn around and go home, there's something wrong. I blame it on the Norwegian dood that had my parking spot.

Fortunately, couloirman came to the rescue and sent me on a treasure hunt. http://tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53711

Bierstadt was first skied by Claude Blaurock and crew in 1934 and last skied yesterday by me, myself, and I. A gruelling tour, second only to hitching a ride up Mount Evans.

Actually it's a fun trip, Dawson says 4.5 miles and 2400 vert. Summit at 14,060. Easy climb up, neckdeep willow bushwack out. The trailhead (And isn't that a sweet truck?)

They say that in well traveled places in the backcountry you should stick to the trail, otherwise spread out. Or just take the sidewalk

The goods didn't look all that exciting from the traihead, so it was cool to finally get up high enough to see a little exposure and interest down lower. I also started contemplating the downclimb to the top of the snow. Could it be done with my skis on so it would count?

Some cloven-hoofed creature knows how to make an ethical descent

I get up to the top with high hopes. But all I found was this

Note the entry from the German before me, "Holy Jesus!" Figures they went to a mountain with a German name. I hate Germans.

Mir was here

Weather coming, of course, but from the east is a little different

So I downclimbed to the top of the contiguous snow. And hell no, I did not have my skis on.

Here's minefield I am about to negotiate, having some yearning thoughts for corniced shoulder down there where I saw two sets of ski tracks. They have beautiful east facing high speed corn turns while I am stuck with crunchy north facing, well, you can see it for yourself.

So I skied and stuff and that was pretty fun. Couldn't get much of an edge in but maybe you can make out some of my turns.

I just can't take my skis off at the bottom of a run. Makes me want to cry. So I had this clever idea of traversing the left side of the valley as far as possible. I are stoopid. The snow was garbage and really not safe either - look at this rotty slabby mess.

So I gave up on that and made my way across to the dry side. I won't show you pictures of the willow thickets. Like one of those hedge mazes you could get lost in forever. But down there in the damp and warmth, I saw my first wildflowers of the season

There were four cars at the trailhead when I got back. But I didn't see a single soul the entire time I was out. Prolly scared them off with my swamp feet.

No trip is complete without scouting. Tunnel work had me pulling off to take the pass home, so I grabbed this shot of the sisters. Looking prime. And to the woman who had the audacity to honk at me while I slowed down to grab the shot, "THIS IS MY HOUSE, BEYOTCH!!!" Hehe.

looks like there was a few people there between me and you. The damn german must have grabbed it. Sorry you didnt find anything, but im glad you enjoyed our tracks down the corniced shoulder to skiers right of your run, and made it out alive of that crap i know you had to walk through. I feel your pain. When me and my buddy were trying to get out, it took us forever to make minimal progress since it was so damn hot(2 hours to the top, 3 hours back to the car). I just went back today to try for the high thirteener off to the northwest when you drive up to the parking lot but my thermometer read 50 deg f at 530am, so instead i went to go fly fishing at georgetown lake, and promptly broke my rod. I hate summer

great work...that is a fun mountain. Squaretop on the west side of the pass is also a great spring ski.
    We hold daggers in the side of the Moon...

You don't always find what you seek on a treasure hunt, but you always find something. Nice!

LAN would love that scrunchie, by the way.

Friggin willows

They beat me up a couple of times up there on Guanella/Bierstadt.

Great TR!

You CO skiers are making me jealous and missing the home land. I might have to skip bike racing over memorial day weekend and get some spring descents in. Thanx for de stoke.

adam is offline The Shred Pirate Roberts
    How much coverage was up there on the ridge Mir? Maybe I'll have to get after it soon.

"I hate Germans" hahaha. That's classic.

Nice TR Mir! Sounds like you you still had fun in crunchy north-facing snow
    -
    14erskiers.com

"Don't be afraid of the spaces between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so." - Belva Davis

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle"--Albert Einstein

Das Eis Gut !
    Calmer than you dude

Thank you. that's a good start now get back out there and get me some more pics I'm dyin here

I got my mri yesterday and I calling right now to schedule my surgery. See ya in a month or so

Quote Originally Posted by SheRa
    So lady like! Thanks for sharing
    `•.¸¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.? ??´¯`•...¸><((((º>

"Having been Baptized by uller his frosty air now burns my soul with confirmation. I am once again pure." - frozenwater

"once i let go of my material desires many opportunities for playing with the planet emerge. emerge - to come into being through evolution. ok back to work - i gotta pack." - Slaag Master

"As for Flock of Seagulls, everytime that song comes up on my ipod, I turn it up- way up." - goldenboy

I need a scratch and sniff computer

No wait I think I don't need a scratch and sniff computer

Nice TR Shera, enjoyed the commentary...
    minefield...
    I are stoopid...
    rotty slabby mess...
    and of course... the fabulous ending... "THIS IS MY HOUSE, BEYOTCH!!!" Hehe.

Nice work SheRa!

Feels good to get out there by yourself sometimes huh.

ps. sorry to hear you got snaked...that would have been a nice treasure.
    so many mountains...so little time

www.splitboard.com

nice mir
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Thumbs up

'bout time you got yourself out there for a much needed solo! How you feeling now? Refreshed, I bet. I miss your TRs, as they always make me feel like I am there with you. Good work Mir. But those feet!! I'm surprised nobody has commented on them yet.

Got some big plans for the weekend and next week. Let me know what you are up to, since you are now back into the 'hiking' thing

I almost pulled the trigger

the reward for summitting was almost enough to make me skip work today...

But I swear, i don't have a problem...

Similarly, I've thought about starting a "summit beer program" where people leave a dank bottle of beer on random summits for others to find. If you knew there was a dank IPA waiting for you on a summit, wouldn't you move a little quicker?

Just a thought...
    post and let post

Quote Originally Posted by KillingCokes
    Thank you. that's a good start now get back out there and get me some more pics I'm dyin here

I got my mri yesterday and I calling right now to schedule my surgery. See ya in a month or so
    \

What did you do Fritz???? Damn that sucks.

SheRa- Why did you get shut down on Quandry? Weather?
    -
    14erskiers.com

"Don't be afraid of the spaces between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so." - Belva Davis

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle"--Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikerskierchick
    \

What did you do Fritz???? Damn that sucks.

SheRa- Why did you get shut down on Quandry? Weather?
    No, just sand in all the wrong places.

No, just sand in all the wrong places.
    So it wasn't skiable. Dang that does suck. Damn Norweigans.
    -
    14erskiers.com

I could get into the whole geocaching thing if it worked out like it shoulda and it was skiing related...
    nice hike n ski & attempt on the find

Quote Originally Posted by iskibc
    'bout time you got yourself out there for a much needed solo! How you feeling now? Refreshed, I bet. I miss your TRs, as they always make me feel like I am there with you. Good work Mir. But those feet!! I'm surprised nobody has commented on them yet.

Got some big plans for the weekend and next week. Let me know what you are up to, since you are now back into the 'hiking' thing
    Yeah, it was really good. My feet, they are beautiful, no?

10 miles round trip, 5k vert. That's my limits for a day trip. Unless you want to carry my skis.

I'm getting you a comp so we can tour out of A Basin next week. You will love it, I promise. Other than that, you know what the Gore means to me.

I want to ski technical, steep for real gnar with cathedral rock walls - something to get excited about. Hmmm, I wonder what we've got on the east face of Guyot or Bald...

Quote Originally Posted by adam
    How much coverage was up there on the ridge Mir? Maybe I'll have to get after it soon.
    Adam, the other side of Guanella Pass looks so freaking cool right now. Steep faces and tight couloirs. Mebbe somebody left their stash over there too.

Can you borrow a beacon?

Yeah, it was really good. My feet, they are beautiful, no?

10 miles round trip, 5k vert. That's my limits for a day trip. Unless you want to carry my skis.

I'm getting you a comp so we can tour out of A Basin next week. You will love it, I promise. Other than that, you know what the Gore means to me.

I want to ski technical, steep for real gnar with cathedral rock walls - something to get excited about. Hmmm, I wonder what we've got on the east face of Guyot or Bald...

I've carried your shit before, so why not!

Looking at heading out of state for some big vert and technical lines. Just trying to work out logistics right now. I am pretty much done with work so I will be on the every other day ski program from here on out. Oh how I love the spring and summer.

Quote Originally Posted by iskibc
    I've carried your shit before, so why not!
    Not as many times as I've carried your water.

Plan a day with me for next week. We'll see after that.

Highly entertaining. I like your style dude(ette). Thanks!