Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help suggest a new frame?

hey all.

So, it looks like i thrashed my cake frame, so here I am shopping around. I did like the cake, but if I gotta fork out some dough for a new frame I might as well get something different. So far, I really like the looks of:

Santa Cruz Blur LT
    Yeti 575
    RM Slayer (last choice).

I apparantly have really good taste, 'cuz all of those frames are ultra-spendy. I'm not opposed to (lightly) used. Anyone have any suggestions? Maybe I should go up to Angel Fire (I'm in NM) this weekend with $400 and see what I can find? I'm a rec-rider, and have never been to a NORBA race...are there demos or shit for sale at races?

Also, I've been looking at mtbr.com, pinkbike and egay. Are there any other loc's i should scope?

thanks

What type of riding do you partake in? AM, XC, FR???

Most demo bikes will not be for-sale until the end of June.

One more thing. SEARCH FUNCTION.
    Since then it's been a book you read in reverse, so you understand less as the pages turn.

The things you find on the net.

I do mostly XC. Never really shuttle or ride lifts, but maybe once or twice a summer. That being said, I like a really active suspension design. I love climbing with a FS rig, and am looking in the 5" category.

And why the fuck would I use the search function? This I love: TGR-heads getting their panties all jammed up their sandy cunts b/c people ask a question. If I had used the search function than you wouldn't have anything to do by jonging me, right? Plus, incase you didn't notice, I'm wondering if folks may have a frame for sale that i might buy, which i did use the search function for that, beeeatch.

But thanks there, coach, I really needed your guidance.

I would see what GF might do for you on a warranty (not likely) or crash replacement (possibly) for your old frame. Then you might have a new frame to ride or parlay into one of the other frames you mentioned above.

See the GF option through before you throw away your current frame and spend money on another. (I'm OK with the question, I do it too.)
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Science-fiction author Robert Heinlein

I love my 575. Climbs well and descends like a freaking dream...

Edit to add: Andy suggested the search function because even if you look on the first two pages of this forum there is a TON of discussion about frames.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

From what you've said, I'd also look at a Titus motolite, a Turner 5 spot, the new specialized stumpy. By the way, GF’s used to have longer top tubes so you might like other bikes with this quality. When I look for bikes I look at the geometry online and compare it to a bike I really liked. It gets you in the ball park quickly. A lot of people say go ride as many as possible. I agree, but I find that most people end up just liking the bike that was setup most closely for them. Demos are so often setup wrong for you. I always carry a shock pump so I can adjust it myself.

For what it’s worth, a friend bent his dropout on his ’06 slayer this weekend. It wasn’t that hard of a hit, and he wasn’t on the bike at the time, but either way, it shouldn’t be easier to bend than the derailleur hanger. That’s why they are replaceable I wouldn’t mention it, figuring it’s an anomaly, but the LBS said it happens all the time with their demos and they just bend them back. Not very well from what I can tell. I’m sure Rocky will take care of him. Otherwise it’s a nice bike, geo is geared toward freeride, but super long wheelbase. Nice on the way down, but not my favorite for climbing.

There are a lot of good 5-6" bikes out right now. One thing I’ve noticed with every bike I’ve ridden in this range. The bikes with 5” to 5.25” in the rear always feel a bit more quick and nimble, and the bikes like the 575 with closer to 6” feel more plush. To me it’s very noticeable. I like to jump off every rock or rise and bunny hop over rock gardens so I think that’s why I like a 6” bike for XC. If I am just riding distance, fast, with the tires on the ground, 5” seems plenty.

Thanks for the input. I'd been looking at the turners, but something about the huge linkage I don't like, same with the Ellsy Truth.

Found a 575 frame on Denver craigslist for less than a grand, so I might go that route.

But, good news, I took my bike to the LBS, and the dropout spacing is still ok (just a bit wide), so I'm going to keep riding it until she breaks. I'll be on a long ride tomorrow, so I'll see if she holds together. If not, I'll have a long walk home.

I test rode a 575, and goddamn it feels nice. Certainly shouldn't be dropping too much flow on a new bike when I gotta kid, and an upcomming mortage though.

Thanks, and sorry Andy...I'm sure your vagina is freshly douched

Quote Originally Posted by ANON-505
    Thanks for the input. I'd been looking at the turners, but something about the huge linkage I don't like, same with the Ellsy Truth.

Found a 575 frame on Denver craigslist for less than a grand, so I might go that route.

But, good news, I took my bike to the LBS, and the dropout spacing is still ok (just a bit wide), so I'm going to keep riding it until she breaks. I'll be on a long ride tomorrow, so I'll see if she holds together. If not, I'll have a long walk home.

I test rode a 575, and goddamn it feels nice. Certainly shouldn't be dropping too much flow on a new bike when I gotta kid, and an upcomming mortage though.

Thanks, and sorry Andy...I'm sure your vagina is freshly douched
    I came from riding a hardtail and love the 575. If the bike you are looking at is in great shape, there is no reason not to jump on that (aside your other dependencies )

I would also give Andy a break. You already knocked him up after your second thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

errrr...

wooops, i did just harsh on andy again. That was meant to be an apology, but I accidently eluded to the fact that he has no penis.

Sorry.

Andy, I'm sure your phallus is as impressive as john holmes', and there is no spec of sand in any vagina, nor in your ass, or on your balls. You might have some sand on your nipples, but I'm not sure.

Just curious, did the LBS say anything about a warranty or crash replacement frame?
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Science-fiction author Robert Heinlein

I don't have time to read everything above, but don't rule the Slayer out prematurely. If it's in your price range, the Slayer is a SICK rig. I've owned a Rocky and they are incredible bikes.

That aside, a couple other GREAT bikes at a better price are:
    Transition Bottle Rocket
    Transition Preston
    I've got more suits than Liberace, but less than Eastvailhucker.

I just got a blur and am in love with it. Coming from a almost decade old GF hardtail, it is incredible, but even compared to the other full suspensions I have ridden it is very very nice. You know how some bikes take some getting used to when you first get on them? Well the blur didn't for me, and thats what I hear from most people who have one. It just keeps feeling better and better the more I ride it. So yea, blur is my vote.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

I have been looking at the Foes FXR 2:1 lately. 5" or 6" and a little less costly than some of the other botique brands. (about $1600) Single pivot, like your cake was.

There is lengthy discussion on them in the Foes forum on mtbr.

Quote Originally Posted by scoober
    I have been looking at the Foes FXR 2:1 lately. 5" or 6" and a little less costly than some of the other botique brands. (about $1600) Single pivot, like your cake was.

There is lengthy discussion on them in the Foes forum on mtbr.
    Yep I am looking forward to trying that frame out when I can finally afford to sell my '03 and upgrade to the 2:1. I'd like to hear some more real-world feedback on the ride though; there have only been a couple folks who've actually ridden them who have posted on MTBR. MBA did a review in April but I just can't trust the mag that a) evaluates every bike from a pure XC perspective and b) gives glowing reviews to every single bike they review.

on and Vicious, those Transitions are sick bikes but probably overbuilt for what that dude is looking for.

transition preston = 4 & 5" $950
    transition bottle rocket = 5.5" $1100

i, for one can't wait to order the bottle rocket as soon as i can afford it
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson
    i, for one can't wait to order the bottle rocket as soon as i can afford it
    by overbuilt I meant heavy as f*ck

I'm about a day from putting a frame on order Only thing holding me back is I'd have to sell the hardtail to do it, but I think the bottle rocket kinda fills the hardtail niche anyway. Metallic pink anyone?

edit for pic: drool...

Last edited by Particle; 05-19-2006 at 11:22 AM.

I've ridden all the bikes you've mentioned plus a few. A few things, depending on how much you're looking to spend, add the Intense 5.5, Titus Moto Lite, Giant Reign (easily the best bang for the buck) and the Jackyl (if you can get over the lefty). I've been looking for a new bike for over a month now, I do mostly AM and I'm leaning towards the Slayer.

bottle rocket is 9.5 lbs with swinger 4.0

not bad at all (IMO)

i literally have 2 bikes for sale as we speak to get this thing thing rolling

:stoked:
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

bottle rocket is 9.5 lbs with swinger 4.0

not bad at all (IMO)

i literally have 2 bikes for sale as we speak to get this thing thing rolling

:stoked:
    Hah nice! No 9.5lbs is not bad for a burly bike like the BR that's designed for the kind of abuse that aggressive/DH riders would administer. But it just seems like ANON is looking at lighter, more XC-oriented bikes.

particle - so you are ordering the 2:1fxr ? sickness
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

particle - so you are ordering the 2:1fxr ? sickness
    Not yet; I need to wait until July or so. But hopefully then I can sell my frame and order the new one, and pretty much just swap over all the old parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Particle
    Not yet; I need to wait until July or so. But hopefully then I can sell my frame and order the new one, and pretty much just swap over all the old parts.
    if you want to sell me the 03 for less than i can EP the bottle rocket, you just go ahead and lemme know...
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

if you want to sell me the 03 for less than i can EP the bottle rocket, you just go ahead and lemme know...
    Hmmmmm. Hmmmm! Just the frame? That really wouldn't be a problem.

Also Transition lists the base BR as available w/ either the 4-way or the Romic...I've never ridden either; any recommendations? I'm kinda leaning Manitou for no reason whatsoever.

pm sent.

swinger 4ways are $$$ for the $$$, but no dhx or anything
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Also Transition lists the base BR as available w/ either the 4-way or the Romic...I've never ridden either; any recommendations?
    Buy a dhx.

I've never ridden a swinger I liked. You can't get the platform light enough to take away the harshness. I had one on my vpx and switched it out with a pushed RC.

I rode romics on my turner DHR for a long time. When they weren't blowing up (old problem, fixed now) they felt really nice.

I'd get the swinger anyway. It has a higher resale value if you want something else. You can find romics for sale for like 28 cents.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp