Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Before this clusterfuck look inside the filming industry I thought I wanted to be a movie star.
    So content being a bum.
    I haven't seen a paycheck and don't know if it's even worth hounding them.
    Let me know if yous see any money.
    Good thing I raided the gut truck
    Although 5 packs of famous Amos cookies and granola bars hardly make up for that kind of long hours.
    So glad I had US Army hurry up and wait training.
    I got some pics from that days awesome skiing, hardly good tr material though.
    If they cut the scene the bros are in I'll really be pissed.
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Haven't seen a dime either. Joan said it is now in the hands of some mystery company, which were supposed to send out our checks last thurs.

Problem is, I put 5 days working up there, so I've been counting on this money. I am rather skeptical since speaking with her, as it sounds like she pawned-off the paychecks to some company.

Dibbs, I saw Colin the snowboarder yesterday, and he hasn't seen any money either.

This woman is asking for it.

I'm a little too bitter to TR it right now.

Clusterfuck, and the spiders sucked too.

Angry

OK. With this new info from you guys I'm pissed.
    How does Red Baron know her? Anybody know? He seemed to know her.
    Maybe there's some leverage there without us having to get ugly with her.

need a lawyer to write a mean letter? PM me.

Thank you, Pope. Much obliged. I left her another voice msg asking what's going on and dropping Steve's name. If we don't get some action in a couple days I'll PM you.

she doesn't know me, I got the email from another friend who had a bigger role in the film, sorry to hear this didn't work out well! that sucks!

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy
    oh jesus, she jerked me around for months about another movie shoot when I was GM @ the Inn at Solitude

good luck
    got anything in writing?
    Nothing gets paid faster much faster than 90 days in the TV biz if my expense checks are any indication of how the rest of the industry works. It then would have to go through the production company's accounting and if they are cashed strapped or there are problems add another two or three months. Just my two cents.
    "Don't drive angry."

Best quote from the movie "Groundhog Day"

I really wanted to take part in this shoot, and I was all lined up to do it. But without a promise that I'd actually get paid, I wouldn't have been able to afford to make the trip there and back.

After talking to Joan Peterson on the telephone a bunch of times trying to make it happen and get at least the basic info, I finally just gave up. I really got a strong impression that she was an utter moron and a complete bullshitter. I guess I'm glad now that I missed it.

Geoff, at this point you seem to be a very good judge of character.

How are you with stocks?

Quote Originally Posted by Pope Benedict XVI
    need a lawyer to write a mean letter? PM me.
    Better get the letter going - nothing like a good swift kick in the ass from an attorney to get people moving (and from the sound of it she's just giving a bunch of lip service about payments).

Besides SkiFishBum, Tresckow, Brandt, his buddy, and me, were there any other maggs involved? I can't remember.
    Maybe we should all be in on the same letter Pope?

On movie/tv sets for extras, it's cash or nothing. You got hosed.
    "It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds."

Endless,

I have the #'s of BobO, Brant, Chris, Colin, and Jamie. I think something needs to be done asap.

What a bunch of BS, here's Joan's phone # 801 509 3699 and email joan@starlightcreativemedia.com

Have at her
    Last edited by Tresckow; 06-21-2006 at 02:52 PM.

I'll PM the Pope and see if we can take him up on that offer so we can attach our names and digits and send her a little reminder.

A friendly legal letter directly from the Pope ought to catch her attention.

Arachnids V Maggots?

I got 3 to 1 Maggots over Arachnids. Who's in?

lol
    Yup, gravity works there to.

Ok, so here's the deal; I talked to my friend who sent me the email originally, who knows Joan well, and was also in the movie (not as an extra)

As it turns out, Joan is the casting director, who was hired by the production company - she is not the one responsible for making payments - they are.

She suggested emailing Joan and asking for the contact info of the production company, to get paid - which is what she is doing. So, basically, any demand letter you guys do should go to them, not her...

I traded PMs with endless and am more than happy to write a letter on behalf of all injured mags. I agree the letter should go to the company that is obligated to pay.*

I can send her an email seeking the contact info of the production company, or will wait to hear from you guys on that.

I think the letter should use your real names, and not your respective aliai.

I'm going to be off the board from about 2:30 today until monday (headed to SF), so I may be a little slow in responding after that.

*I should say that in the unlikely event that my firm represents Joan or the production company in another matter, I won't be able to write the letter.

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Thursday, June 22, 2006 10:49 AM
    To: 'joan@starlightcreativemedia.com'
    Subject: Unpaid extras from Ice Spider film shoot at Solitude

Joan,

I have been retained by several SLC-area skiers who worked as extras in a film shoot at Solitude Ski Resort in May who have not yet been paid for their time as promised.

I understand that you arranged for the extras, but that your position is that the obligation to compensate them is on the production company.

May I please have the name of the production company, and an appropriate contact there?

Thank you in advance.

Pope Benedict XVI
    we'll see what happens

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff
    I really got a strong impression that she was an utter moron and a complete bullshitter.
    Welcome to the film industry!! Not everyone is a moron and a bullshitter but a lot of them are.

If she was the casting director (extras casting director) chances are good she has nothing to do with the payouts. She was most likely just parroting the bullshit those above her shoveled her way.

The problem with films is that they are highly dysfunctional companies set up to run a very complex task in an excruciatingly short period of time. Crew payroll is done weekly or else everyone would just walk off set because otherwise they tend to forget why they were there in the first place. Paying out extras (uh, sorry, "background talent") usually takes a bit longer--like a month. My understanding of when this shoot occured would mean that you guys may be SOL. Chances are that the company formed to produce this film may already be dissovled which would make getting your money a bit difficult.

Did you sign waivers?
    Did you get vouchers?
    Any form of paper trail?

In a worst case scenario if you didn't sign waivers and your image appears "recognizably" you may be able to sue for that. Small victory but it could be sweet.

r.

I checked with another friend in the industry who says this was a pretty decent sized production - at one point they had three full crews working, in seperate places trying to get things done, and they were shooting 35mm.

I also heard the financial backers were getting a bit ansy towards the end, and that there was a rush to finish production on deadline. He says the final product will have multiple uses, from DVD, to cable, to international distribution.

I called the number at the address on our "Extras Release" form that I found. Turns out it was just the address and room (shown as a Suite number) at the Marriott Residence Inn where they must have set up shop. I woke up some guest who wasn't too pleased. They're long gone.
    The only company name I have for you to cross-check with your firm, PopeB, is 'Starlight Creative Media,' which you already know.
    The next thing I'm looking for is the daily shooting schedule copy I grabbed the day I was there. It might have the names of some of the principals on it. I'll let you know if I find it.

Thank you for finding out what you can, RB.

On the heels of the cancellation of Everwood, Aaron Syrett, director of the Utah Film Commission, announced six feature films that will begin production this summer in Utah, including: American Pastime; Dark Matter, starring Meryl Streep and Val Kilmer; Halloweentown 4; Ice Spiders; The Last Sin Eater, a historical family movie set in the 1850s directed by Michael Landon Jr.; and Wieners.
    http://film.utah.gov/may19.htm

Maybe Aaron Syrett, director of the Utah Film Commission, has the contact info we need.

Edit: I'll email him

Got an email back from the Utah Film Commission guy:

Hey Pope-
    I was made aware of this yesterday, and I have phone calls into the production.
    Regent Entertainment is one of the producing partners. Jeff Schenk is president.
    10990 Wilshire BLVD,. PH
    Los Angeles, CA 90024
    Let me know what you hear and I will keep you posted
    Aaron Syrett
    Director
    The Utah Film Commission
    I'm going to hold off until next week to write a letter, since it appears that there are multiple people going after this $$ - but I would call them directly if I were you guys that haven't yet been paid.
    Last edited by Pope Benedict XVI; 06-22-2006 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pope Benedict XVI
    On the heels of the cancellation of Everwood, Aaron Syrett, director of the Utah Film Commission, announced six feature films that will begin production this summer in Utah, including: American Pastime; Dark Matter, starring Meryl Streep and Val Kilmer; Halloweentown 4; Ice Spiders; The Last Sin Eater, a historical family movie set in the 1850s directed by Michael Landon Jr.; and Wieners.
    Maggots who went up to Solitude: did you know you were going to be in a movie called "Wieners?"
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.