Thread: Reminders

Reminders

Not that I forget how much I love this place, but every once in a while I am reminded just how much. There's a forum for hiking in the northeast that I check from time to time. Decent resource for info, which is what it claims to be, but it could be a lot better. It's an incredibly stifling evironment. I have very little reason to stay and contribute. Today, for example, I posted a thread about the deal on steepandcheap, because some people were asking about the item just the other day. Thought it would be helpful and relevant. I was told that specific deals is overkill. Another time I wanted to see if people who carry lots of gear around manage without a wagon or suv; again locked. Usually any funny bantering, which is status quo here, is locked too. Ridiculous. How can anyone expect it to be a resource, if people don't have a reason to stick around?

There are a lot of uptight pricks and also a lot of people who are just looking for validation of something they already know. My guess is places like that are where they end up. There's a similar one for mountain biking in MN that I looked at a couple times when I still lived there.

In all fairness, I think a big factor is money. Instead of seeking means to let the community flourish, the forum owner tries to minimize the bandwidth. Different strokes for different folks, but it makes me think "what's the point?"

Second star to the right and straight on till morning
    Basically this place is pretty fucking cool. It changed my life to an extent (ok well it did change my life... I would not necessarily be in Boulder if it weren't for a lot of these guys' influence and the collective influence). There is a shit-ton of information and a shit-ton of laughs. Oh, and the stoke isn't bad either.

TGR is, from what I have seen, unique. And that's ok as long as you're (anyone is) here (not "as long as I'm here" because a lot of people would disagree).

One look at the incubus forum the other day to find out about the new album reminded me of this. The STUPID SHIT posted over there is just ridiculous. The amount is highly diminished here, and when it gets posted, it gets flamed.

I'm glad I found this place. I'd DEFINITELY be a different person if I hadn't. And so would Ethan.
    Days on snow 06-07: 3
    Days behind a boat summer 2006: 24

"Coming here and asking whether you need wider skis is like turning up at the Neverland Ranch and asking Michael if he'd like to come to Tampa with the kids" -bad roo.

^^^ Some people find Jesus, Max found TGR.
    .....Visit my website. .....

"a yin without a yang"

Talking This place means so much to me......

It taught me how to spell definitely.
    Drive slow, homie.

would someone please start posting poop pictures again?
    please??!!
    there will never be no peace, down here, in a babylon

What other forum would put up with both UNIBONGER and CYBER_COP..? And not let it bother us..

I post at a motorcycle/crotch-rocket site. A guy there asked how to get out of a speeding ticket. I responded with: "Next time when you get stopped, be very polite to the cop and tell him you don't have insurance. Since cops have a boner for people without insurance, he'll most likely only write you a ticket for that. Then go down to the DMV with your proof of insurance and the ticket will be dropped".

Well, they deleted my post because they said they don't tolerate bad mouthing the police.

Newschoolers is getting pretty bad as well. There was a thread over there about the TGR forums that got deleted too.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveTV
    What other forum would put up with both UNIBONGER and CYBER_COP..? And not let it bother us..
    True True, you all are saints. And let's not forget the village idiot.
    .....Visit my website. .....

"a yin without a yang"

Quote Originally Posted by Z
    It taught me how to spell definitely.
    It destroyed my ability to spell definitely. I've now seen it spelled so many friggin' ways I can't remember which one is right anymore!
    I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones.

Second star to the right and straight on till morning
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyber Cop
    ^^^ Some people find Jesus, Max found TGR.
    Heh, this is probably true... The mountains really have become my church.

Props to ONS for being a bad ass moderator. Good show letting us slide on what slides here.
    Days on snow 06-07: 3
    Days behind a boat summer 2006: 24

"Coming here and asking whether you need wider skis is like turning up at the Neverland Ranch and asking Michael if he'd like to come to Tampa with the kids" -bad roo.

Quote Originally Posted by shmerham
    In all fairness, I think a big factor is money. Instead of seeking means to let the community flourish, the forum owner tries to minimize the bandwidth. Different strokes for different folks, but it makes me think "what's the point?"
    Some moderators have weird ideas about right and wrong. Like "no posting images because that's a copyright violation" and "no posting links to products because that's spam" and on and on.

Naturally I ignore stupid rules and getting censored makes me feel badass.

And this is the coolest place on the Internet.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

I like the TGR forums.....

but some of you guys are real pricks!
    "Can't vouch for him, though he seems normal via email."

I can't believe you got definately down. damn!