Page 29 of 76 FirstFirst ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... LastLast
    Just started brewing home batches this Summer. Slowly progressing to All Grain but still currently using extract with specialty grains. Finished a hoppy brown ale which was primed with Dark Grade Maple Syrup. Came out around 4.5% abv and quite delicious, but I have discovered it may be difficult to get true maple syrup aroma/taste through priming.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130803_160429.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	959.3 KB 
ID:	140147  

rmnpsplitter - It's getting to be the time of year for pumpkin beers. Brew now for them to be ready by October.

BP Pow - I moved to AG this year. It's not very hard. I like my sub $10 picnic cooler mash tun. Don't bother with a ball valve. I followed Don Osborn's plan using an old cooler I already had. Easy and cheap. AG brewing takes a little longer, but not much.

Czech it out Pils in the keg couple daz now, almost carbed.

Picked up a Flying Dawg FEAR Imp pumpkin stout to brew for an oyster party in Oct.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post

Picked up a Flying Dawg FEAR Imp pumpkin stout to brew for an oyster party in Oct.
    where and when?!

I bottled the Pliny clone and the ABV will be 8.1% (Russian River lists 8%). It smells like a hop farm in the basement! It's going to be hard to wait 3 weeks.

So I'm going with the pumpkin ale. Need to gather some spices still. Thinking about a half ounce will do. Any thoughts on the blend to use? What have you guys tried?

Quote Originally Posted by rmnpsplitter View Post
    So I'm going with the pumpkin ale. Need to gather some spices still. Thinking about a half ounce will do. Any thoughts on the blend to use? What have you guys tried?
    I'm sizing this one down for a 3 gallon all grain BIAB over Labor Day weekend. Since I will have an extra kettle avail, I might do an extract batch the same day.

this one's been in the primary for about a month now.
    http://www.homebrewersassociation.or...s-spice-saison

i cut down on the brown sugar a little to make it a little less sweet and not quite as strong (og around 1.06). planning on having it ready early october.

So you guys recommend letting it sit a little longer than usual I take it? I have a brown that I'm going to be spicing up. It seemed weird to me but the guy at the shop was adamant that I go with it. I was sort of thinking a pumpkin stout when I went in there. He convinced me otherwise. Ours will be an extract recipe though. I'm not quite at the all grain level yet.

So after doing a little more research it seems like the amount of time in the primary is related to how much spice you add and how you like it to taste. Wondering what you guys have tried in the past? Any tips would be appreciated!

I've been keeping any brews I don't dry hop in the primary the whole time (2-3 wks depending on gravity) since last summer and they have been great. It seems that current practice is not to bother with a secondary as it just creates higher chance of infection.
    Last edited by Peruvian; 08-15-2013 at 12:06 PM.

i do similar to peruvian as far as primary. obvioulsy if dry hopping i go to 2ndry for week or two. i'll also go 2ndry if i plan on letting a beer age for a bit (left an imperial stout in 2ndry for almost 8 months) or if i don't have any kegs available to fill. i'd guess you'd want to pull it off the spices w/ in 3-4 weeks in the primary so as not to impart any funky flavors.

Quote Originally Posted by criscam View Post
    where and when?!
    The Flying Dog brewery in Frederick MD is on my way to work but select brew stores have the kits, they are a bit pricey and you have to add yur own pumpkin puree. Not sure but you may be able to order it online off the FD website.
    watch out for snakes

I like using secondary even just for a week, seems to increase clarity of the finished product by a significant amount

^^^i used to do the same. Not sure I'd just leaving it in the PRI. Would cause the same amount of yeast to settle, or if switching containers makes more yeast fall out of suspension???

I think for me it is mostly hot and cold break material and hop bits (and spices/flavorings when i use them) that i can more easily remove with two transfers. Its probably just that i agitate the carboy moving it around before a transfer, so if I'm going pri-keg i get more sediment than if i let the sediment from the pri-sec transfer settle again before going into the keg.

Just moved a nice looking (and tasting) saison into the keg, stoked to get into that bad boy

Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    The Flying Dog brewery in Frederick MD is on my way to work but select brew stores have the kits, they are a bit pricey and you have to add yur own pumpkin puree. Not sure but you may be able to order it online off the FD website.
    i was talking about the oyster party w/ this beer being available

Wezt Vaginny

nother good linky

http://www.brewersfriend.com/
    watch out for snakes

brew day!
    watch out for snakes

So the pumpkin ale smells awesome! I used about a half ounce of spice mix using nutmeg, cinnamon and cloves. The mixture is higher on the cinnamon and cloves. I've got the exact amounts of each wrote down so I can tweak it next time. Thinking this weekend I'll brew a dubbel when we bottle our pale ale.

As a side note for others about to brew pumpkin ales, the FD kit had two spice additions, one at 5 minutes and the other just after flameout. Bout 5 grams each.

I also used two 15 oz cans of puree, the pound of rice hulls in the kit did their job and no stuck or painfully slow sparge at all.

Now I need to figure out something to do with all my cascades.
    watch out for snakes

DIPA

Brewed an oatmeal stout today. Fall is approaching...

^Yes it is! Brewed a robust bourbon vanilla porter yesterday. Super stoked on it. Going to add vanilla bean to the secondary, let sit for a couple weeks and add bourbon at bottling. Rec's on type of bourbon to use? I'm a big fan of bulleit, but am open to suggestions.