Page 14 of 76 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by criscam View Post
    Question:
    i have an imperial stout that's been aging in for maybe 10 months or so (prob a couple months in bottles). first few bottles were tasty but flat. i put them in a warmer area and gave all the bottles a little twist and waited another couple weeks. last one i had still wasn't quite carbonated. i think it's time to try and help out the situation. i've read about adding a pinch of yeast or sugar tabs? or maybe dme to the bottles and recapping. anyone ever done this with success?
    any idea how high the abv is?

any beer I've done thats over 8% always takes alot longer to carb up. I'd just give it time.

and you should post the recipe

We've won it. It's going to get better now. You can sort of tell these things.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathematics View Post
    any idea how high the abv is?

any beer I've done thats over 8% always takes alot longer to carb up. I'd just give it time.

and you should post the recipe
    should be around 9% or so. i'll give it a little longer but i think it's been at least a few months since bottling.

All Grain Recipe - Gread Divide Yeti Imperial Stout ::: 1.093/1.020 (5.5 Gal)
    Grain Bill (72% Efficiency assumed)
    17 lbs. - 2 Row Pale Malt (US)
    1.5 lb. - Flaked Rye (or wheat) Malt
    3/4 lb. - Black Patent Malt (500 L)
    3/4 lb. - Chocolate Malt (450 L)
    10 oz. - Roasted Barley (300 L)

Hop Schedule (75 IBU)
    1.5 oz. - Chinook [13%] (60 min.)
    1.5 oz. - Chinook [13%] (15 min.)
    1 oz. - Chinook [13%] (5 min.)

Yeast
    White Labs Amerian Ale (WLP001) / Wyeast 1056 / Fermentis S-05
    1 to 1.5 L starter of Liquid yeast or 1.75 packs of Dry yeast.

Mash/Sparge/Boil
    Mash at 153° for 60 min.
    Sparge as usual
    Cool and ferment at 68°

Which yeast was it? Or was it all three? I got fed up with bottle carbing because it was so inconsistent. What temperature was the beer at when it was conditioning?

I also found that serving the beer at a higher temperature (ie 50F versus 37F) seemed to make them more carbonated. I ran a few bottles under hot water for 30 seconds then poured them. A beer that when served cold had almost no head and little carbonation, became a beer with a nice foamy head and plenty of carbonation. You might want to try that for shits and giggles. I heard that technique on one of Jamil's podcasts.

Was the one that you most recently had more carbonated than the first? You may want to roust the sediment up a couple times a day and see if that helps. I wouldn't try to reprime or add yeast at this point.

A very unlikely answer could be that your caps aren't air tight.
    Just ski down there and jump of a somethin' fer cryin' out loud!

-Pain McShlonkey

Quote Originally Posted by BigJay View Post
    Which yeast was it? Or was it all three? I got fed up with bottle carbing because it was so inconsistent. What temperature was the beer at when it was conditioning?

I also found that serving the beer at a higher temperature (ie 50F versus 37F) seemed to make them more carbonated. I ran a few bottles under hot water for 30 seconds then poured them. A beer that when served cold had almost no head and little carbonation, became a beer with a nice foamy head and plenty of carbonation. You might want to try that for shits and giggles. I heard that technique on one of Jamil's podcasts.

Was the one that you most recently had more carbonated than the first? You may want to roust the sediment up a couple times a day and see if that helps. I wouldn't try to reprime or add yeast at this point.

A very unlikely answer could be that your caps aren't air tight.
    I'd have to check but pretty sure i used 2 packs of S-05. i'd guess the beer was between 55-65 when it was conditioning. moved to a warmer area after reading it might help. been twisting the bottles now and then as you mentioned to roust the sediment. i wanna say the most recent bottle i had was a bit more carbonated than the others but no real head to speak of.
    i'd be surprised if the caps weren't air tight as sicne then i bottled another batch and the first (and only) one i've had so far was carbonated.
    i think the next one i try i'll just have at room temp. it's a strong sipper so no big deal if it's on the warm side (or less carbonated for that matter).

One Step Cleanser

Quick question, do other folks use it? Does it suffice as a sanitizer during the brewing process? Thanks

My 3rd and final batch for the season:
    Gutter Slug IPA

6lbs Light/Pale Malt Extract Syrup
    2lbs Amber Malt Extract Syrup 3
    1lb American Crystal 60L
    1lb Victory Malt

Batch size: 5 gallons
    50 mins 0.5 Centennial leaf 10.0
    30 mins 1.5 Tettnanger leaf 3.6
    30 mins 0.5 Cascade leaf 5.5
    20 mins 0.5 Tettnanger leaf 3.6
    20 mins 1.0 Cascade leaf 5.5
    15 mins 1.0 Centennial leaf 10.0
    5 mins 0.5 Centennial leaf 10.0
    1 min 0.5 Cascade leaf 5.5
    1 min 0.5 Tettnanger

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by JongWhisperer View Post
    Quick question, do other folks use it? Does it suffice as a sanitizer during the brewing process? Thanks
    When I started out this is what i used and had no sanitation issues, in part due to diligent cleaning. That said I now use Star San which is cheaper, it can be used multiple times(as long as the pH is low enough)and is a sanitizer.
    watch out for snakes

+1 for Star San.

I never used One-Step, but I haven't heard anything bad about it (most of my friends use Star San, too, but used other stuff early on). I also don't think it's officially certified as a sanitizer, even though it seems there's a lot of people using it successfully as such. If you've already got it, use it, but if you don't, buy Star San instead.

Quote Originally Posted by JongWhisperer View Post
    I have used one-step, star-san, and iodophor and I like star-san the best, but the other three do the job as well. If you make sure your equipment is clean before you add sanitizer any of those three will be fine.
    Just ski down there and jump of a somethin' fer cryin' out loud!

-Pain McShlonkey

Red face

Shittsnoggle!! This freaking snow storm cycle has depleted my beer stocks.
    watch out for snakes

Got in on a group buy for Perlick 525's over on homebrewtalk.com...

I got 3 shiny chrome numbers in the mail today! Booyeah!

bump for springtime brews.......nice out today, getting ready to bottle a bastard beer, ill post recipe if any good. whats on tap for the spring?
    "...but I come from no country, from no city, no tribe. I am the son of the road, my country is the caravan, my life the most unexpected of voyages".-Leo Africanus

Double Engine Blonde and Scottys Skull Splitter go in the secondary today.
    watch out for snakes

just kegged a lawnmower brew (cream of three crops) and will keg an orange/cascade pale next wknd.

Over the last 6 weeks I've brewed up 10 gallons traditional bitter (1.035, 28 ibu, fuggles hops) , 10 gallon american amber (1.056, 48 ibu, cascades hops), and 10 gallons black IPA (1.075, 110ibu, amarillo, chinnok, centennial hops).

yeast was white labs essex ale for all of them.

cheers petecz

Got a yeast starter in the fridge for 10 gallons of Maerzen (ok, a little late) for my big O'fest party in September. It will be followed by 10 gallons of helles or pils, 10 gallons of hefeweizen, and 10 gallons of dunkel or schwarzbier, plus whatever else seems to belong. My brewing season has commenced!

Ready to bottle /keg 10 gallons of brew:
    1.09 OG
    1.014 FG
    80 ibu
    Cascade, Amarillo (8.5 oz in three stages)
    been conditioning for 6 weeks now.

Gonna be a monster. Wort smelled like sweet grapefruit and pine. Tasted even better. Gonna do some 750s and magnums as gifts and swill the rest.

brewtub bbq

sounds like a good reason to head north, maybe work a bbq and hot tub session into it
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

Quote Originally Posted by trainnvain View Post
    Ready to bottle /keg 10 gallons of brew:
    1.09 OG
    1.014 FG
    80 ibu
    Cascade, Amarillo (8.5 oz in three stages)
    been conditioning for 6 weeks now.

Gonna be a monster. Wort smelled like sweet grapefruit and pine. Tasted even better. Gonna do some 750s and magnums as gifts and swill the rest.

sooo...should i pm you my addy?

double ipa?

sooo...should i pm you my addy?

double ipa?
    How in the hell does your FG end up higher than your OG? And either way, with an OG of either 9 or 14, there is no way this is even close to an IIPA. More like session pale.

Quote Originally Posted by Fat City View Post
    How in the hell does your FG end up higher than your OG? And either way, with an OG of either 9 or 14, there is no way this is even close to an IIPA. More like session pale.
    really? cause i'm seeing around 10% abv. (1.09>1.014)?

really? cause i'm seeing around 10% abv. (1.09>1.014)?
    Ummm, ya you're correct. Apparently Monday morning means I can't read properly. Jesus. 10.10%, roughly.
    Fats-

Bottling my 5 gal of amber cider tonight, then brewing an imperial cream stout ish beer. stoked.

oh ya if you get a chance pick up randy moshers "radical brewing". great book, well written, tons of recipes and alot of history on beer around the world.

We've won it. It's going to get better now. You can sort of tell these things.

watch out for snakes