Page 40 of 76 FirstFirst ... 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ... LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 1879
    Quote Originally Posted by Tutuko View Post
    Nelson Sauvin & Vic Secret Saisons, kettle soured for 48 hours with LAB, pasteurised with hopstand. Then fermented with wyeast 3726. Taste amazing, extremely vinous, perhaps closer to chardonnay than beer. It's the lactic acid that does that in combination with the special hops. Weird, but I read that lactic acid is a key component of a Chardonnay.

Bottled in 750s with a Cantillon isolated brett strain and put away till at least the new year. Stoked on how they look! Shaping up to be my greatest creation yet in my quest for complex, funky sours, grain to glass in 3-6months Attachment 158795
    keep the thread updated on your process, planning on brewing up an all brett fermentation in the next couple weeks.

NB finally came out with a Heady Topper clone.

Will let you know how it is.
    watch out for snakes

Got some oak cubes coming my way for an imperial stout. They're going into a half (2.5 gal) batch. Thoughts on ammount and time to let them sit? Thinking an ounce for about 3 weeks or so.

Home Brew Maggots

Same coffee and chocolate approach? Good luck!
    Last edited by Doremite; 10-19-2014 at 08:40 PM.
    Uno mas

Quote Originally Posted by criscam View Post
    Got some oak cubes coming my way for an imperial stout. They're going into a half (2.5 gal) batch. Thoughts on ammount and time to let them sit? Thinking an ounce for about 3 weeks or so.
    Secondary or keg?

It also depends on the type of oak.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by Doremite View Post
    Same coffee and chocolate approach? Good luck!
    Different stout than the coffee/chic one.
    Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    Secondary or keg?

It also depends on the type of oak.
    2ndry. American med toast.

should be fine
    watch out for snakes

Anybody in SLC bottling and retailing any homebrew? I want some.

Have some bottles. Not retailing. Welcome to sample.

The Heady Topper kit just showed up, it has about twice the hops as the Pliny. Critically important it includes the Vermont yeast.

There may have to be a party when I brew this a one.
    watch out for snakes

Be sure to post up on how that went; after brewing a Pliny clone this summer I'm excited to try a HT clone. You can also find the Vermont yeast through the Yeast Bay: http://www.theyeastbay.com/brewers-y...ts/vermont-ale

Should you want to try an all-grain, I think people seem to have those pretty dialed by now. I think the lack of Conan strain was what was always the most difficult part.

The Heady Topper kit just showed up, it has about twice the hops as the Pliny. Critically important it includes the Vermont yeast.

There may have to be a party when I brew this a one.

^^^
    Awezum link

THX4sharry
    watch out for snakes

The Heady Topper kit just showed up, it has about twice the hops as the Pliny.
    Last Pliny clone kit I got from AHB had 16 oz of hops. Does the HT have more?

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Last Pliny clone kit I got from AHB had 16 oz of hops. Does the HT have more?
    I counted it and was mistaken, the bag was smaller and it looked like more but its the same. Also comes with two hop shots.

Difference is in types of hops and the HT gets two stage flame out additions as the Pliny only gets one.
    watch out for snakes

What's a two stage flame out addition? Also, with a flame out addition to you guys just pitch it and leave them in primary or go for some kind of bag setup?

^i built a hop spider that stays in during the entire boil and flame out/whirlpool.

Anyone ever brew a coconut porter? I created a recipe but want to know if I should add the toasted coconut at flameout or in the secondary.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    ^i built a hop spider that stays in during the entire boil and flame out/whirlpool.

Anyone ever brew a coconut porter? I created a recipe but want to know if I should add the toasted coconut at flameout or in the secondary.

One of our local breweries makes a coconut porter and they put toasted coconut in the secondary. They use a metric shitton of it too.

Secondary will bring thru the toasted flavor of the coconut. If you mashed it or put it in boil(late) it would not carry over as well.

I have a welded fine mesh container for hops in the boil pot now but have used nylon string bags and even paint strainer bags from home depot. I also have a "hop spider" made from a piece of large PVC pipe and 4 lengths of all thread. I would clamp a paint strainer bag on the bottom and the pellets would go in that.
    watch out for snakes

I've used game bags from the local sporting goods store for years with good results.

gonna try a 1 gallon batch this wknd (all summit pale ale). planning on using my normal process. built a 2 gal mash tun. gonna boil in a 5 gal pot. wondering about evap rate w/ that little water. thinking I should boil a little less than the normal 60 min or maybe just top off w/ h2o if i'm short on volume/high on og a the end. any other tips out there?

I do 3 gallon batches in a 22q pot and get about 25% evaporation rate. I start with 4 gallons and end up with 3.

Salt Lake brewers,

I am taking a hiatus from beverage brewing for a while and would like to clear out some stuff. If your interested. Buy the whole lot for $75.

6 gallon glass carboy ($20)
    5 gallon glass carboy ($15)
    Carboy Bra (free w/ purchase of carboy)
    5 gallon plastic brew bucket ($5)
    5 gallon plastic bottling bucket ($5)
    Big ass funnel ($5)
    Capper ($10)
    5 gallon Brew Kettle ($20)
    Bottle washer (the one that attaches to your faucet) ($5)
    siphon ($5)
    extra caps (free)
    Air locks (free)
    Bottling wand (free)

Too cold for outdoor brewing this morning. 3 gallon BIAB batch on the stovetop.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1414940790.457160.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	768.4 KB 
ID:	159809

Got the Pliny carbd, could have finished a little drier. I was hard pressed for time when I brewd it and did not make a yeast starter.

Still pretty good.

Spent part of weekend putting a Blichman 42 gal conical fermenter together for a buddy. Top notch quality with a price to match.
    watch out for snakes

Getting back in the saddle after a couple of years this week. Sitting on some old grain and hops. Fresh yeastie beasties. Some sorta IPA...
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.