11 Knee Surgeries aka Whatever happened to Evan Raps

This is from Cream, the new artsy jib magazine. I always wondered what happened to him, after reading this article I feel a whole lot less core. Frickkin 11 knee surgeries

http://www.writetheotherway.com/pdfs/evanfinal.pdf
    You're gonna stand there, owning a fireworks stand, and tell me you don't have no whistling bungholes, no spleen spliters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker donts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistling kitty chaser?

I watched one of my older MSP films the other day that has a segment with Evan Raps. I had actually thought right then, "what ever happened to that guy". That whole story really sucks. I hope he never has to go through anything like that again.

And to the original doctors? What the hell man, learn how to do things properly!
    "Who's the chump doing 140kph in the fast lane!!?" - German autobahns kick ass!

That sucks. Hopefully he'll be able to get back to 100%. And huge props to Rossignol.

That's exactly why a lot of doctors refuse to do ACL reconstructions until a month or more after injury - most want you to make sure you have no swelling or inhibited ROM left from the original injury or you are more likely to develop excessive scar tissue and you may never get your ROM back. But for many/most athletes, they accept the risk and go for it to get healed up faster. Obviously, sometimes that's a bad decision.

And cortisone shots are bad in general for your long term joint health. Didn't realize it was so bad for a graft, but you really want to avoid that whenever you can regardless.

Totally nuts though with that much crap for basically one injury. But really cool that Rossi supported him through it.
    Last edited by altagirl; 04-27-2006 at 08:07 PM.
    "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow, what a Ride!"

holy shit thats intense. knock on wood i never have that happen to me. sounds like the first doctor was a real fuck up. wow. mad props to rossi, they pretty much saved him
    i shred the gnar

right at the lights, straight on till night
    damn that's some 5 alarm shit storm.

props to rossi and best of luck to evan.
    when everything in the world is at its darkest, it takes a big man to kick back and party.

sounds like it must have been frustrating as hell to keep hearing the docs saying "shit, f'ed up, my b"...that would get old real quick. props to him gettin through it and hopefully he can back to 100% gettin a crappy doctor can really ruin things, definately something to be scared about.

And those knee manipulations are nasty, I had to have 2 of those also after my leg was immobilized for 8 weeks. Real cave man style....its unbelievable. they knock you out, and then in my case proped up my leg and put 200 pounds of force on the end of it to bend the knee. my knee was real locked up. when i woke up my leg was twitching violently from just the trauma and i needed a femoral nerve block cause i couldnt stop it.

Rossignol def gets my respect for stickin with someone through all of that

Damn. That's shit's scary to think about...

Filming for the first Ski Movie, I felt Raps, Skogen and Mike Laroche were both basically ahead of their time. Raps was spinning D-spins/corked 7s off cornices and 20' cliffs, Skogen was doing countless rodeo 7s, 5s and flatspins both ways in the pipe, and Mike Laroche was doing the styliest switch cork 7 tail grabs. Sure, it's all commonplace now, but in 2000, their stuff stood out as the best. Then they all had serious leg injuries, and consequently drifted off the radar while the rest of the ski world caught up and went by. It really makes Tanner's and Simon's comebacks this year (and return right to the top of the game) that much more impressive.

Props to Raps (I knew he had been through a lot, but not that much. And huge props to Rossi for sticking by his side. Thanks for bringing this article to us Armada.

Jebus, what a horrible ordeal. I was bummed just for one surgery, couldn't amagine going through.

Thats rough. First 3 sound like my knee, but my troubles stopped there. I'm not a fan of worthless greedy litigation, but he is a prime canidate for a good case...

Hey guys i'm right here......

Old School Raps

Evan Raps, now that is a name that brings back some 'ole school KMS freestyle team memories. I remember competing back years ago (must be almost 12 years now...) and Evan was a super star. Killer bump skier and he and Tim McKeever were throwing 720's at upright air contests - before "freeskiing" came about! Every girl (including myself) had a huge crush on Evan!! Bad boy image with blonde hair and a killer smile.

Evan you have always been a top notch skier!! Props to you & an impressive career! Take care of those knee's!

EDIT: Damn what a traumatic thing to live through. How you kept sane & a positive attitude is amazing. You are amazing!
    Last edited by bumpskier; 04-28-2006 at 08:50 PM.
    ‎"Powder snow skiing is not fun. It's life, fully lived, life lived in a blaze of reality." -Dolores LaChapelle

Question: For multiple arthroscopies do they go in through the same holes? I think I have some bits floating around in my knee and it has caused it to collapse on me 3 times in the past year, which is weird since its the only problem I've had since the last surgery in Nov of '02

gah, that makes my knee hurt just thinking about it...

Thats some tough shit to go through. It was especially funky hearing about his knee gushing fluid before the last surgery!!! eeesh!

thats totally cool of Rossignol to have supported him through this. they rock.

Loved the small step up in Ski movie he hit.

Quote Originally Posted by soul_skier
    11 times under the knife, his knee must look like hamburger.
    no joke.

That is one painful image. I am frickin amazed at how he was able to keep it together during all of that. wow. seriously.

And it's so nice to hear of a sponsor sticking around like that, lots of props to Rossi. it's always nice to see that loyalty still exists in today's world....
    "If we resist our passions, it is more through their weakness than from our strength."

Building a fighting force of extra-ordinary magnitude
    shit! so that's what happened to Evan. I always mentioned him and Candide as my favorite slopestyle skiers. I remember seeing an article, where he was in San Fran, where Evan showed some rehab/PT exercises but I had no idea how messed up his knee was. Big ups to Rossi for sticking with him. It sounds like even if he isn't able to compete, he can hopefully ski for fun like a maggot would, pass some knowledge on, do some coaching and make lemonade from the lemons that are his knee.
    thats new hampshire as fuck

We ain't eager to be legal, so please leave me with the keys to your Jeep Eagle.

Wow! Honestly, I can't believe he stuck with the first doctor for so long. I would have been out after the first 2 surgeries. What a bummer. I hope he's able to finally make a comeback!
    -
    14erskiers.com

"Don't be afraid of the spaces between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so." - Belva Davis

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle"--Albert Einstein

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by vinzclortho
    and make lemonade from the lemons that are his knee.
    Sounds delicious.

Remember that poster of Evan Raps' cork 3 over the train? Serious Business.