Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Skier Davo Karnicar skis hardest descent in Slovenia (pics + vid)

this guy has also skied everest. not wide open AK turns but impressive nontheless. just the climbing looks pretty sketch.
    http://www.freeapproved.com/galerija.php?id=119

and can anyone tell me what the hell these dudes are talking about?
    Mom! The meatloaf! FUCK!.

did he ski everest from the top?

i have been looking for info on Hornbein Coulior (middle of the north face) and can only find Marco Sifreddi as an attempt (RIP Marco).

if anyone else sees this, is it hard to ski nepal? with locals customs ect? i am very interested in this.

This is the most ridiculous shot I've ever seen. $20 says him and his buddies shot this in front of the dorms and photochopped it.

AKPM, final ruling?
    Turning is for when things get in your way ||

jesus! 60 - 65 degrees??

will slopes even hold snow at 65 degrees?

Quote Originally Posted by huck4bucks
    This is the most ridiculous shot I've ever seen. $20 says him and his buddies shot this in front of the dorms and photochopped it.

AKPM, final ruling?
    it is pretty ridiculous, but I don't think it's photochopped.

Quote Originally Posted by golden powder
    it is pretty ridiculous, but I don't think it's photochopped.
    If that's not photoshopped, thats the weirdest skiing related picture ive ever seen...

Quote Originally Posted by Humble
    did he ski everest from the top?
    Yes, but he only skied the top 1/3. Evidently that's all there is to ski.
    There are much bigger ski runs in the world than Everest.

If you look at the video I think it gives you a lot better idea of what went on than the pictures. Watching the dude climb the thing was pretty crazy! The skiing.... meh, not the greatest. But the whole line is pretty inspirational!
    -
    14erskiers.com

"Don't be afraid of the spaces between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so." - Belva Davis

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle"--Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Endlessseason
    There are much bigger ski runs in the world than Everest.

but not a bigger mountain

plus climbing everest in the winter is likea goal for me.... even if i chicken out at the top

would also be nice with the solitude (not a clusterfuck like in their summer)

edit: solitude as in me and 3+ Sherpas

Good, but not as good as the Austrian boys:

http://www.bergsteigen.at/de/bericht.aspx?ID=505
    Ein Berg ohne Absturzgefahr ist nur noch Attrappe. (Reinhold Messner)

Found this on mountainzone.com

Karnicar Skis Everest
    Ski Everest 2000 Dispatch
    08 OCT 2000

It was an historical day for Slovenian Davo Karnicar, of Jezersko, who accomplished an uninterrupted ski descent from the top of the world's highest mountain, Mount Everest (8848 meters, 29,028 feet).
    At 8am local time, Davo started his historical ascent, fulfilling his longtime dream, which he'd already attempted in 1996 when a snowstorm halted his efforts. Today, in only five hours, Davo skied uninterrupted, from the top of the mountain to Base Camp at 5340m (17,519ft) without taking off his skis.

Davo Karnicar and Franc Oderlap began the ascent early in the morning Wednesday. They left Base Camp, climbed the notorious Khumbu Icefall, and reached Camp II before noon. The same day, the Sherpa assistants went to Camp IV to establish tents. One of them had to return due to altitude sickness.

After a good night's sleep, the Slovenian mountaineers, heavily loaded with gear, pushed further Thursday morning. On Friday, they traversed below the Lhotse Face over the Geneva Spur and the Yellow Band, the highest-lying tectonic joint in the world, and reached Camp IV at the South Col at an altitude of 7950m (26,082ft) just after noon. Davo was in a very good mood, feeling the Everest summit at his hand's reach.

After setting up two tents with the Sherpa assistants, Davo and Franc put every effort into eating and drinking — quite a strenuous pursuit at such an altitude. Davo ate a large portion of tsampa mixed with cottage cheese prepared by the Sherpas.

At 5pm, the two Slovenians tucked into one sleeping bag and slept for three hours with additional oxygen. Upon waking up, they were more exhausted than before, but focused enough to prepare the gear and get dressed. They departed for the summit at 10:30pm. Franc put on a down suit; Davo wore two fleece layers, a wind stopper and an anorak. Davo joked that it was a romantic night as the moon shone brightly. Davo put on his ski boots, while Franc wore high-altitude hiking boots. They both wore crampons— the slopes were icy and the snow was compressed by wind. They broke a new trail through breakable crust and did not use the same trail as the Korean team that summited last week.

Just below the Hillary Step, Davo contacted Base Camp via radio. Conditions at the most dangerous section were ideal. It took Davo therefore only half an hour to reach the summit from the South Summit.

They reached the top by 7am. On the summit of Everest, it was extremely cold, but clear, with great views of Lhotse, Makalu and neighboring peaks. After an hour of making preparations, photographing and warming up, Davo skied down, while Franc Oderlap, Ang Dorjee Sherpa — who summited for a seventh time — and Passang Tenzing Sherpa descended on foot. The most difficult section of the ski descent was not, as Davo had supposed, the Hillary Step, but the steep section leading to the South Summit, with a considerable threat of avalanches. At Camp IV, Davo put on a camera weighing three kilos (6.6 pounds) —which is why he decided not to ski with it right from the top. After several steep sections, he reached Camp III where he met other climbing members of the expedition, Tadej, Urban, Matej, Grega and Jurij the doctor. The adventure was far from over; Davo still had to ski the Icefall, an immense psychological test for any skier. He skied under the haunting seracs, which could have unexpectedly broken and fallen at any time.

The celebratory atmosphere at Base Camp was beyond description. We opened a bottle of champagne and toasted to Davo, who didn't go to sleep for a long time, though he was very tired.

Nope, he was the first to ski all way down to the base camp without putting his skis off at any time.

No matter what the pics above look like there's no doubt this dude is fucking rad.

Quote Originally Posted by Franz Klammer
    Good, but not as good as the Austrian boys:

http://www.bergsteigen.at/de/bericht.aspx?ID=505
    wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    Nope, he was the first to ski all way down to the base camp without putting his skis off at any time.
    Right...but base camp is at 17,500 feet. In other words, the most vert one can ski from the top of Everest is about 11,500, which is not that much more than Chamonix and certainly less than some of the mountain runs discussed on this and other forums. I forget the names but this topic is searchable.
    There are some off-piste 12k, 13k, and even 14k vertical runs that are targets for some of the maggots on this forum.

What made his accomplishment cool to me was that he started from the top of the highest mtn on earth. The amount of skiing has been and will be surpassed many times over, but the starting point was cool.

Oh, and 11,500 of 29,000 is about a third. Sorry if I wasn't exact.

Oh, and 11,500 of 29,000 is about a third. Sorry if I wasn't exact.
    So in order to ski the rest he would need to ski to Indian Ocean?

That would be sickter gnar

Quote Originally Posted by huck4bucks

AKPM, final ruling?
    it shows guys with man tits can ski too!
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Quote Originally Posted by KillingCokes
    reached Camp IV at the South Col at an altitude of 7950m (26,082ft) just after noon. Davo was in a very good mood, feeling the Everest summit at his hand's reach. Davo put on his ski boots, while Franc wore high-altitude hiking boots. They both wore crampons— the slopes were icy and the snow was compressed by wind. They broke a new trail through breakable crust and did not use the same trail as the Korean team that summited last week.
    So the last 900m vert was bootpacked in ski boots. That's impressive enough for me!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KillingCokes
    So in order to ski the rest he would need to ski to Indian Ocean?

That would be sickter gnar
    I think the mountain with the highest Vert (from Valley Floor to Top) is Denali, but I'm sure someone will prove me wrong. The thing about the Alps isn't that they're really high or anything, just that the valleys are so low in relation... same with the AK Coastal ranges like the Chugach.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...rashes&pl=true

The Brits can also kill it BIGSTYLE on the gnar.

Cringe
    Monty Python's version of the cougar phenomenon:
    "This is a frightened city. Over these houses, over these streets hangs a pall of fear. Fear of a new kind of violence which is terrorizing the city. Yes, gangs of old ladies attacking defenseless, fit young men".

KillingCokesView Public ProfileSend a private message to KillingCokesFind all posts by KillingCokesAdd KillingCokes to Your Buddy List
    Today, 12:19 AM
    ak_powder_monkey vbmenu_register("postmenu_739068", true);
    Photag

Quote:
    Originally Posted by huck4bucks

AKPM, final ruling?

it shows guys with man tits can ski too!

Days on Snow 2005/06 season: 21

jesus ,akpk you are THE POSTER BOY FOR MAN TITS!!!
    MORE TURNS,LESS DOUGHNUTS

that is all
    there will never be no peace, down here, in a babylon

Quote Originally Posted by Humble
    will slopes even hold snow at 65 degrees?
    It's been skied and filmed just a day after a snow storm and it was cold enough so that the walls held snow.

Davo skied another line (1st repeat after 30 years) yesterday: