Page 141 of 151 FirstFirst ... 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 ... LastLast
Results 3,501 to 3,525 of 3765

Maggot motorcycle stoke thread

Oh, and shame on me for not posting more stoke in the midst of this ultra-moist atmospheric river we're enduring...

I picked up a brand new KTM 350 XC-F back in early November with the intention of campaigning it in some desert races, GPs, XCs, and a few eight and twelve-hour night races.

New chassis, new motor, and new suspension. It's some delicious schnitzel!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	UibSmhq.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	901.3 KB 
ID:	440027

Name:	Axx7QBo.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	891.9 KB 
ID:	440026
    Last edited by Bobcat Sig; 12-26-2022 at 10:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    Oh, and shame on me for not posting more stoke in the midst of this ultra-moist atmospheric river we're enduring...

I picked up a brand new KTM 350 XC-F back in early November with the intention of campaigning it in some desert races, GPs, XCs, and a few eight and twelve-hour night races.

Did the new generation 4 strokes also get the new plastic rad cap that nobody can seem to remove without tools?

Wow that thing is hawt.

Quote Originally Posted by Percy Rideout View Post
    Did the new generation 4 strokes also get the new plastic rad cap that nobody can seem to remove without tools?
    Sure did. But I was able to get it off relatively easily when I drained the coolant to install a radiator fan.

I've seen a few companies whip up a 3D-printed thing to make the fill cap easier to open. For me, it's a non-issue. My Beta has a very similar cap.

FIFY

Careful, a Honda is an gatewa drug to a KTM.
    Haha... I like that the KTMs are much lighter. Unfortunately my wallet would be a lot lighter too....

Considering a new bike. Currently on a WR250R. Great bike but I want something more trail specific, and something with enough power to run a Timbersled kit on next winter. Also need it to be able to be street legal just for getting to trails around the house and such (not planning on long rode miles). So far the list includes YZ450FX, CRF450RL, WR450F, and maybe a KTM 500 EXC. Some friends have said a two stroke could be good too but I'm not really interested in two strokes.

Mostly ride single track and some desert riding in the summer. Would like more low end power for grunting up tech terrain.

Any input?

Any of those 4t bikes will be fine, but a 300 2t will be better for tech terrain and will also be great with a sled conversion. The serious moto / sled people in my circle say that the idea of converting to a sled and back is attractive but the reality is not. It's a lot of work, and the sled use is brutal on the motor with tons of WOT time, so rebuilds are frequent. 2t rebuilds are WAY less $, and the newer injected ones don't require any jetting or BS when going to altitude or in different temps. Whether your can plate one depends on your state laws.

Any of the motos you listed will have more than double the power, better suspension, and 50-75# less weight than your WRR, but they will require a lot more maintenance. Honestly, they are all so good that you can pick your color and he a dick about it.

I'd get a KTM/Husky 300 or Beta 500 personally.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    Any of those 4t bikes will be fine, but a 300 2t will be better for tech terrain and will also be great with a sled conversion. The serious moto / sled people in my circle say that the idea of converting to a sled and back is attractive but the reality is not. It's a lot of work, and the sled use is brutal on the motor with tons of WOT time, so rebuilds are frequent. 2t rebuilds are WAY less $, and the newer injected ones don't require any jetting or BS when going to altitude or in different temps. Whether your can plate one depends on your state laws.

Any of the motos you listed will have more than double the power, better suspension, and 50-75# less weight than your WRR, but they will require a lot more maintenance. Honestly, they are all so good that you can pick your color and he a dick about it.

I'd get a KTM/Husky 300 or Beta 500 personally.

Good info, thanks.

I'm honestly leaning toward the YZ just because I like Yamaha (blue). It seems to get the best reviews for what I like to ride. I almost bought a CRF the other day but I'm wary of their performance at the low end. Reports of jerky throttle in lower gears and such.

I have a few friends who convert theirs every year, including one guy I know who has a Moto shop that will convert it for a reasonable rate. I also have my own shop to work on it in so if it takes a Saturday in mud season so be it. I'm pretty handy with that stuff.

I feel like I'm reluctant to get a KTM because of what I call the "Yeti" effect. Where people are so fucking annoying about being part of the "Tribe" and so proud of their orange bike that they never shut up about it. It is all in good fun though, I have plenty of friends w/ KTMs and they are all far better riders than me.

A buddy just got a Beta 500, maybe I'll ride it soon and check it out.

I dont have much time to jump on this Convo but saw the word snow bike. I've ridden a 300 2 stoke and a 450 4 stoke snow bike back to back. The 2 stoke just is not nearly the fun or practical experience as the 4 stoke. It's not bad but it's the dynamics of the bike that just doesn't feel right.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The 350 is the best for an all season technical riding bike. It's the perfect balance IMO

Get over the KTM thing BTW. There are now three colors of them red, orange, and white. They actually all ride a little different surprisingly. Engineers are magicians

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Considering a new bike. Currently on a WR250R. Great bike but I want something more trail specific, and something with enough power to run a Timbersled kit on next winter. Also need it to be able to be street legal just for getting to trails around the house and such (not planning on long rode miles). So far the list includes YZ450FX, CRF450RL, WR450F, and maybe a KTM 500 EXC. Some friends have said a two stroke could be good too but I'm not really interested in two strokes.

Mostly ride single track and some desert riding in the summer. Would like more low end power for grunting up tech terrain.

Any input?
    450MX bike or nothing when it comes to a snow bike. Even the 500's get complaints because they have more linear power and don't have the same "snap" that 450 MX bikes do on the snow. These things get the absolute piss revved out of them in fresh snow.

But, the technical singletrack you describe for summer riding would suck on a 450, more geared to a 250/300 2T. I also rode a 300XCW snow bike once. Would not recommend a 2T for a snow bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Percy Rideout View Post
    450MX bike or nothing when it comes to a snow bike. Even the 500's get complaints because they have more linear power and don't have the same "snap" that 450 MX bikes do on the snow. These things get the absolute piss revved out of them in fresh snow.

But, the technical singletrack you describe for summer riding would suck on a 450, more geared to a 250/300 2T. I also rode a 300XCW snow bike once. Would not recommend a 2T for a snow bike.
    Yeah another reason that I'm looking at the YZ is the engine mapping tuner app. Makes a 450 seem more doable on single track. I ride a pretty fair amount on the WRR so the YZ has got to be better than that.

My buddy is selling his 350. This thing is mint and a killer deal. He is too busy to ride.
    https://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/d/...594383171.html

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    My buddy is selling his 350. This thing is mint and a killer deal. He is too busy to ride.
    https://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/d/...594383171.html

Dang that is nice, but I think I want the bigger cc. Would be perfect for the single track but not for the timber sled.
    Last edited by Name Redacted; 02-28-2023 at 07:12 PM.

Dang that is nice, but I think I want the bigger cc. Would be perfect for the single track but not for the timber sled.
    Wanna buy my 450? As you know it’s dialed for desert expeditions.

After picking up the injected 300 xcw(?) in the fall I’m kinda wondering what I need a 4t 450 for. Alas this is the wrong season and frame of mind to be thinking about this….and from my point of view, potentially making bad decisions while under the influence of deep powder. Hahahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by jmedslc View Post
    Wanna buy my 450? As you know it’s dialed for desert expeditions.

After picking up the injected 300 xcw(?) in the fall I’m kinda wondering what I need a 4t 450 for. Alas this is the wrong season and frame of mind to be thinking about this….and from my point of view, potentially making bad decisions while under the influence of deep powder. Hahahahaha
    Maybe. what are the details? Pics? I don't quite remember it. Seemed to run well in the desert though. Speaking of which, I need to get out and ride the swell this spring.

Yeah another reason that I'm looking at the YZ is the engine mapping tuner app. Makes a 450 seem more doable on single track. I ride a pretty fair amount on the WRR so the YZ has got to be better than that.
    I mean, our buddy rides a newer 450X in all the same technical singletrack as us here in the colorado high country. He just complains and spins his tire/flames out when it gets really hard. Guy is built like a gorilla so that helps when he has to muscle his bike over or around things, but some rides look extra tiring for him due to bike choice.

but yea, the YZ 4T would be on my short list for a snowbike.

Just went to the powersports dealer. So much new hotness on the showroom floor.

Fucking SXS have gotten gigantic. The tires are huge! The suspension is like 4 feet long. Running boards just to get in the door.

Where do people think they can drive these monsters? Just their size will limit them to roads and desert spots. That isn't going to last long these punters will take them off trail so they can get their shred on

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Just went to the powersports dealer. So much new hotness on the showroom floor.

Fucking SXS have gotten gigantic. The tires are huge! The suspension is like 4 feet long. Running boards just to get in the door.

Where do people think they can drive these monsters? Just their size will limit them to roads and desert spots. That isn't going to last long these punters will take them off trail so they can get their shred on
    SXS are the scourge of the off-road world. They took the classiness of quads and turned it up to 11.

Around here they think they can go on all of the singletrack and when they encounter an obstacle, they go around it. Muh freedumbs!
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Yeah going to the dealer they turned it up to 13 this year. The amount of $$$ sitting on the floor is bonkers

I hate how much of bikes and quads and boats have just turned into a dick swinging contest about who can spend the most money and be the most annoying driven by people who barely ride, instead of people just buying what they want and having fun with it.

Just a bunch of dudes being miserable out there

Ha...no fucks given. Full throttle life! That's nothing new. Conspicuous consumption has always been a thing in the pricy toy world. There is always a bigger douche with a bigger wallets.

Just have the bigger smile, go deeper and have more adventure. When it comes to playing hard, everyone knows who the A Team really is.

Sent from my Turbo 850 Flatbrimed Highhorse

I got my WRR for 1/3 the price of my mountain bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    I hate how much of bikes and quads and boats have just turned into a dick swinging contest about who can spend the most money and be the most annoying driven by people who barely ride, instead of people just buying what they want and having fun with it.

Just a bunch of dudes being miserable out there
    Cheer up. Just do your thing and don't worry so much about other folks.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Cheer up. Just do your thing and don't worry so much about other folks.
    Oh I don't really care about what people think about me, it's more the in dealerships, forums, the areas to recreate in, etc. the vibes are just bad compared to say five or ten years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Oh I don't really care about what people think about me, it's more the in dealerships, forums, the areas to recreate in, etc. the vibes are just bad compared to say five or ten years ago.
    You're taking about skiing, right? ;-)