NSR New deck in ski area

Ive got a big deck with duradeck on it. Whistler so its got a bunch of snow on it in winter. The duradeck got punctured so I've got to redo an area. I figure i might have to redo all the surface once i cut up the duradeck.

Assuming the floorjoists are ok Im going to put on new plywood. Using treated spruce; good one side, tongue-in-groove. Holy cow that stuff costs a fortune but that's another bitch for another time.

I was thinking of just redoing the deck with duradeck but then someone told me about this roll-on deck-coat which is basically a latex type material you roll on. You use cloth tape on the plywood seams then roll on this stuff over it. It works in north van which is very rainy.

BUT the hardware store guys in Whistler say this roll-on deck-coat is finicky and is hard to put on and duradeck is still the best.

So i turn to TGR. Someone here must have redone a deck/balcony. Any hints? Product names? Is that deck-coat stuff really bad? Is Dura-deck still the go-to stuff.

and an as aside , the hot-water heater tank went so I've got to replace that too. ggrrrrr - lucky the water spillage was minimal. Well at least its not like its snowing hard.

Lee-

I had to re-cover my deck last summer. I used a PVC Vinyl called ArmorDeck. Its guarranteed for 10 yrs. PM sent with name & number of the local dealer.

T
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

If you want it to last forever, I'd recommend the recycled plastic decking. I have it on my dock and its pretty good. Better traction then wood, no maintenance and of course it last forever. Downside is its very heavy, and pliable requiring a 14-16 inch span.

lee- if you have gas: put in an on demand type heater. You'll be much happier with that.
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

Trex. Try it... it feels good on your toes....

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau
    I was thinking of just redoing the deck with duradeck but then someone told me about this roll-on deck-coat which is basically a latex type material you roll on. You use cloth tape on the plywood seams then roll on this stuff over it. It works in north van which is very rainy.

BUT the hardware store guys in Whistler say this roll-on deck-coat is finicky and is hard to put on and duradeck is still the best.
    My dad (lives on the North side of Coquitlam, not quite as much rain as NV but close) swears by this stuff. He used it on his deck rebuild about 10 years ago and it's still going strong. YMMV obviously but he's been pretty happy with it.

I like the Trex stuff, but it still looks fake and it fades over time (getting better though). My neighbor just did his deck with Tiger wood, it looks great and wears like iron. The down side is you have to oil it and the shit is so dense it takes 2 days for the oil to soak in. Fortunately, they claim you only need to oil it every 4 years.

Ipe is another great Tropical Hardwood (if you can get it,) but man.... think of the deforestation.

Go with a tankless water heater. You'll be glad you did.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Why the tankless water heater? How would it work? Sorry for the dumb question but Im just trying to figure out how the hot water would be stored and heated then?

graeme - what's the brand name of that stuff your dad used? It sounds so easy to put on unlike farting around with Duradeck and staples and cutting etc.

Trex sounds cool but i should have mentioned its a balcony above a garage - not a floor deck. I'll need it to be non-water permeable

Cold water is passed over big ass gas burner which only ignites when hot water faucet is turned on. No Hot water tank to keep warm 24/7 for the ~20 minutes a day that you actually ever need hot water. Water runs hot almost as quickly as it would from tank. Maintenance is little more expensive but then there's no 50 gallon tank to leak as they always eventually do.

Most of Europe use them. Often in form of combination boilers that also provide hot water for central heating circuit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster
    think of the deforestation.
    it'd just be cut down anyways to make way for soya fields to feed vegatarians who are saving the planet
    Elvis has left the building

we used treated 2x6s and our deck is going on its 10th year with no maintinence and Alaskan Summers winters and even a volcano erruption. We have red cedar trim that we stain every other year but thats all we do and the deck is great.
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit
    Cold water is passed over big ass gas burner which only ignites when hot water faucet is turned on. No Hot water tank to keep warm 24/7 for the ~20 minutes a day that you actually ever need hot water. Water runs hot almost as quickly as it would from tank. Maintenance is little more expensive but then there's no 50 gallon tank to leak as they always eventually do.

Most of Europe use them. Often in form of combination boilers that also provide hot water for central heating circuit.
    ah thanks - I have no gas but just looked and they have electrical tankless water heaters - ouch!!!!! http://www.gotankless.com/products.html this will bust the budget

ah thanks - I have no gas but just looked and they have electrical tankless water heaters - ouch!!!!! http://www.gotankless.com/products.html this will bust the budget
    I was looking at that for the cottage - and yes tres $$$$.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

Electric tankless hot water not so good - small units are popular in Europe for Showers. They're combined with booster pumps since domestic water pressure is normally lower than in U.S. - not suitable for whole house set up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by cj001f
    it'd just be cut down anyways to make way for soya fields to feed vegatarians who are saving the planet
    Now that's some funny shit

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit
    Electric tankless hot water not so good - small units are popular in Europe for Showers. They're combined with booster pumps since domestic water pressure is normally lower than in U.S. - not suitable for whole house set up.
    yah thx for the headsup to you and LIP but its a lot of bling. I only need water for a small area but the tank i have is in a well insulated unit. I also found out i can get contractors price so its only 170 bucks for me for a 30 G unit (50 US gallons I think?). Im mulling over installing it and the drip pan myself but I'm pretty hopeless with electricals so may just sack up and pay some guy to install the tank.

I found out more about the deck coat. I still don't know the name but it has to be warm to use it and I dont' really want to wait till July to do it so may just go with vinyl decking or Armordeck. I'm going to price out the 60mm deck stuff.

Im mulling over installing it and the drip pan myself but I'm pretty hopeless with electricals so may just sack up and pay some guy to install the tank.
    it's pretty easy and you'll know right away if you got it wrong.

For some reason there's a bunch of contractors in the Yellow pages who do nothing but install hot water tanks. Basically an installed tank for the cost of a tank.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Dog
    it's pretty easy and you'll know right away if you got it wrong.

For some reason there's a bunch of contractors in the Yellow pages who do nothing but install hot water tanks. Basically an installed tank for the cost of a tank.
    Want to come up and install it for me? I'll comp you some lift tickets; show you around; buy you beer, etc.

Want to come up and install it for me? I'll comp you some lift tickets; show you around; buy you beer, etc.
    Sure, I'll do almost anything for beer. My schedule's pretty free, being retired and all.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.