Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 72Twenty
    They keep coming to my freakin' house! We just don't answer the door, but I am getting sick of them.
    In high school they came to my friends house and he thought it would be fun to debate with them. I warned him he better cut it short and just get rid of them or they will never leave you alone. He didn't listen and for the next three months had to hide out because they were at his door 3-4 times a week.

For the most part the mormons I know are great people. As a group they bug the piss out of me, just like the Baptists and the Catholics.
    .....Visit my website. .....

"a yin without a yang"

I moved here directly from Italy, talk about culture shock. It took me at least a day or so to adjust (I think the time change might have been the issue though). Yes the place is different, but isn't everywhere? Try living in the Deep South, that place is WAY worse. I will admit that local politics are a joke but all of the other positives outweigh the negative 10 to 1. The saving grace is the whole sub-culture of active outdoorsy-type people. There is an ever growing population that has moved here for the skiing, biking, climbing, etc... that you continually run into. As more come in, we are getting more active in local politics and issues that we feel should be changed. I do feel for the folks with kids, that does add a different dimension that we don't really worry about but there are plenty of options. Actually, I'm glad we have the Mormon "issue", it's helping keep some folks away (but that number is diminishing very quickly). If we didn't have this perceived cloud of oppression, Utah would be more crowded than Colorado. I can certainly ignore a certain type of religion easier than I can ignore over crowding.
    "People blame me because these water mains break, but I ask you, if the
    water mains didn't break, would it be my responsibility to fix them then?
    WOULD IT!?!"
    - M. Barry,
    Mayor of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by powstash
    Yea, they keep coming to my house too.
    when i lived in slc they didnt really bother me much at all. but that said, i was a ski bum living near the mouth of LCC, working and skiing at snowbird. I didnt meet all that many mormons.

though when they came knocking at the door we would send my jewish roommate to answer. he would tell them he didnt believe in jesus and ask if they wanted to come in for a bong hit and a beer to talk about it. they did stop coming by after 2-3 times.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by cdlv
    the wife and i call those momo warwagons. fuckin big haired house fraus driving 55 in the left lane while their 13 kids scream and jump around in back.
    you forgot drinking diet coke and taking antidepressants

The missionaries here are always fat kids from Iowa. They don't like the cold and altitude up here. I think it slowly drives them insane.
    "Have fun, get a flyrod, and give the worm dunkers the finger when you start double hauling." ~Lumpy

Crazy stuff- we got to SLC for a shopping trip about once a year. Honestly I'm always scared to bring my kids there- highest child abuse/incest rates in the country.

One day, my wife- a pretty level headed gal- looked around at the gentry and comapred them to "caged animals". Put those glasses on and walk around for a day and things will look different, very different.

Back to my point- morons are always trying to get to you- most notably they always do it through our children. They ALWAYS approach your children. IT CREEPS ME OUT!!!

Barf...

I'm going this week for a few days, I'll count the number of times my children are approached by strange, garment-wearing middle aged men.

"You are really pretty sweet-heart" a molester said to my (then) 7 year old daughter. I was around a rack of clothes, about 2 feet away, but the pervert didn't see me. A middle aged man walking alone around the children's department talking to little girls- I almost decked him

I'll loose count of how many times my children are approached this week in SLC...
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Whoa. I guess I don't shop in the same places you do.

One more thing...

Code for "Are you Mormon?" is:

"What a beautiful family you have"

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

There's a Mormon community on the North Shore of Oahu, up the way from Turtle Bay resort. The street leading up to the tabernacle is SO pretty and at the very end is this massive building with crazy fountains and stuff. Pretty surreal considering the run-down aesthetic of the rest of the North Shore.

I had a few mormon friends growing up in Calgary, they kept trying to convert me from Christianity and bring me to their mormon dances and stuff. You had to get a special dance card and get blessed or something (I never went.) It was crazy, I'm pretty sure they're all married now, 21 years old...
    Believe.

Ah, Gateway plaza? & trolley square? They're infested!

Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by skiing-in-jackson
    Crazy stuff- we got to SLC for a shopping trip about once a year. Honestly I'm always scared to bring my kids there- highest child abuse/incest rates in the country.

One day, my wife- a pretty level headed gal- looked around at the gentry and comapred them to "caged animals". Put those glasses on and walk around for a day and things will look different, very different.

Back to my point- morons are always trying to get to you- most notably they always do it through our children. They ALWAYS approach your children. IT CREEPS ME OUT!!!

Barf...

I'm going this week for a few days, I'll count the number of times my children are approached by strange, garment-wearing middle aged men.

"You are really pretty sweet-heart" a molester said to my (then) 7 year old daughter. I was around a rack of clothes, about 2 feet away, but the pervert didn't see me. A middle aged man walking alone around the children's department talking to little girls- I almost decked him

I'll loose count of how many times my children are approached this week in SLC...
    Wait, so- do you like Mormons or not? You are all over the place on this one.

Mormons used to scare me, especially when I first moved to UT. Then I became friends with a bunch of LDS Maggots - and now they REALLY scare me

{mormon joke} Why did science labs switch from rabbits to mormons for animal testing?...
    They breed faster and their not as cute. {/mormon joke}

"a yin without a yang"

Quote Originally Posted by warthog
    Wait, so- do you like Mormons or not? You are all over the place on this one.
    You can't figure it out?

Mark Twain

So here is a crazy story....My roommate just joined the cult. I know she wasnt a Mo this summer as she partook in activites that are forbidden by the clan....

then out of the blue i see her tithing for the church...What the F**K!!!

It's a whatever thing, just dont push that crap upon me and my friends

Quote Originally Posted by mybad
    Do Mormons really affect you?
    They effect their affect effectively.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by eastvailhucker
    My roommate just joined the cult.
    All of your private information will be given to the genealogical database...sorry to hear the bad news. it is her duty to share your info with the church.
    Last edited by skiing-in-jackson; 04-03-2006 at 11:09 AM.

Mark Twain

IT CREEPS ME OUT!!!

Barf...
    Adults who say "Barf" and "It Creeps Me Out" are equally as suspect as these supposed hordes of perverted old men.

All of your private information will be given to the genealogical database...sorry to hear the bad news. it is her duty to share your info with the church.
    Yeah, WTF is up with the "records"?!?!?!?!?! How do I get my name off of their "list"?

"Have fun, get a flyrod, and give the worm dunkers the finger when you start double hauling." ~Lumpy

One more thing...

Code for "Are you Mormon?" is:

"What a beautiful family you have"
    OMFG-I think one lives next to me. That crazy bitch actually told me I had a beautiful family. I knew something was up with them, specially since I only have dogs. Prolly wants to convert them too.

Seriously though, I have heard that phrase uttered in a strange sort of way. Always a wierd vibe. I just ask 'em flat out- You LDS? Seems to work.

I have always been fascinated by other religions, but especially Latter Day Saints. Something about it seems wierdly cultish, yet convincing. Prolly cause they picked such a sweet spot as their Mecca. Can't feel too much angst toward anybody who would pick that spot as their own. I guess I just view it as a part of American history. It is a truly American Religion, which is kinda cool.

I am Catholic. Always have been. I was raised with a certain type of belief, as were most around me. When I went to college, I went to a Catholic school. We had actual friars teaching classes. Now, this was a Franciscan University, so they were a bit more lax than most, but it was still a bit surreal. It wasn't until I moved out West, that I really started to see a lot of other religions.

It is a different religion, but it isn't the wierdest by a mile. I work with a bunch of Jehovah's Witnesses. They have some really strange stuff going on. Also, I live near Clearwater Florida, home base for Scientology. Those bastards are the strangest. As far as I see it, you just have to put up with strange drinking laws, weird haircuts, odd (prairie style) clothing, and hypocrytical rules about caffeine and stuff. I have the king of all wacked out cults 1/2 an hour away. Be thankful.

Yeah, WTF is up with the "records"?!?!?!?!?! How do I get my name off of their "list"?

You have to kill their leader, duh!

"a yin without a yang"

Quote Originally Posted by Cyber Cop
    You have to kill their leader, duh!
    Is it the same as breaking the mirror in the back of the Walmart?

You can't- if you ask to be removed, they put you on the "visit more frequently" list.

I'm not mormon, never was, never will be, but an older lady friend of ours joined the church for about a year back in the sixties and the missionaries still come to her house about 3x a year. She chaes them away, but they keep coming back.

More scary, she's moved a few times, and they always manage to find her- where she works, her phone number etc. its like stalking!

Mark Twain

Is it the same as breaking the mirror in the back of the Walmart?
    Sorry you lost me???

But as far as the list, tell them you're gay and your wife is having a sex change, I think that gets you blacklisted ASAP.

"a yin without a yang"

You may not have to worry about moving to SLC to have mormans effect you... Mitt Romney, our morman govn'r is sadley a strong pres candidate. Anyone read "Under The Banner of Heaven"? You might want to consider Canada...

Edit: ... when they get control of the FBI, Bush may actually look good.
    Last edited by BigDaddy; 04-03-2006 at 11:28 AM.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!