Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 72Twenty
    I'm not ever mean or rude to their faces, but it is getting frustrating that they won't leave us alone EVEN AFTER we told them we were not interrested. They knocked again yesterday - same dudes. That is when it really starts to push my buttons. We get knocks about 3 times a week lately. All of the sudden out of nowhere. It's like someone keeps pushing them to come talk to us.

And I do hate BYU with every fiber of my being becasue I am from Wyoming and I went to the University of Wyoming and that is what we do. Hate BYU. You have to in order to go to school here.

Dude--they should leave you alone. If you don't want em' around, they should be leaving you alone. Like I said, they mean well.
    As for BYU--I bleed red. 'Nuff said.
    The Griz

Quote Originally Posted by skiing-in-jackson
    I lost track of the thread here...

What year did you graduate from BYU-Idaho & where was your mission?
    Well, lets see, I grew up in NC and i'm an atheist. But thanks for playing.

This is an interesting piece on Mormons and how the military is trying to tap into their knowledge of obscure and hard to learn languages they aquire through missionary experience. Anybody know Pharsee?

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=4232716

Quote Originally Posted by flykdog
    Percentage wise ID is WAY more mormon than SLC.

I also love statements like this. If I go out of my way to annoy anyone, i usually get a 'lame vibe' from them.

What comes around goes around, eh? I certainly don't agree with the majority around here but I don't feel the need to spout off at the mouth every chance I get. And you know what i get? Respect for my beliefs and no spouting back.
    Simple cause and effect. God is karma. Don't need church to tell me that. I do believe in their family value system. There is just ways you can go about conducting yourself as a culture, and the way they go about it annoys me.
    I'm glad you're ok with living in a community that shares beliefs so much different than yours. No thanks.

Also curious about your thoughts on the "Pearl of Great Price".

Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Thumbs up

Um, yeah. That is fucking AWESOME. Where can I get one?

Quote Originally Posted by grizzle6
    Dude--they should leave you alone. If you don't want em' around, they should be leaving you alone.
    Did you guy's learn this from a jedi?

We do not come to your door. You have never seen blond twins in matching briefs.
    .....Visit my website. .....

"a yin without a yang"

Quote Originally Posted by grizzle6
    Dude--they should leave you alone. If you don't want em' around, they should be leaving you alone. Like I said, they mean well.
    As for BYU--I bleed red. 'Nuff said.

Hey grizzle6, since you are Mormon- I have a few questions for you that I'd love to have answered, mainly so if I was to get into a theological discussion and/or argument with someone of the Mormon faith, I would know where they were coming from. Oh, and I'm also always interested in other religions, except I'm somehow almost failing my mysticism in religion class this semester...

1) What is an angel skin, who wears them and why?

2) Is it true that the Church gives you money when you get married? Cause that would be rad. No, I don't plan on becoming Mormon any time soon.

3) Finally, what is this business in the Book of Mormon about the original people in America being white, but when some of them made God angry he turned them black, but when they won his favor back they stayed that way? Seems like Mormons would therefore be anti-black, but that can't possibly be the case. (Pardon the layman's terms, but one of my aforementioned high school friends tried to give me a brief synopsis of the Book of Mormon once.)
    Believe.

The Amish infected my computer with spyware. Bastards.

Quote Originally Posted by BlurredElevens
    Also curious about your thoughts on the "Pearl of Great Price".
    Like a specific question? Because in general I think it's bullshit, but then again I generally think religion is bullshit.

If I only wanted to live where the majority of people were like me i think that'd be pretty limiting. I guess you'd also be opposed to living somewhere predominately black? Jewish?

I too like Grizzle feel the need to "come out" her on the board, I am as he what I would consider a liberal mormon. I am politically independent, often vote for democrats, served a mission and have actively defended and lobbied for environmental causes.. I have many friends that having different beliefs, lifestyles, you name it, many post here on this board, if pressed I don't think they would say our differences have interfered in our friendships, I have not pressed them to join the church or to investigate it at all. I will be the first to admit many mormon communities here in Utah are close minded and shut out others not of our faith, This is a cultural thing not a church thing. MOrmons lives often revolve around there local wards and many get to know their neighbors through these organiztions and meetings making it difficult to extend a hand of friendship and acceptance to others. It bothers me too.

I think you will find by moving here Utah is an accepting and fun place to live. At a minimum the people here are quirky at the most they are extreme. The comments I frequently read on this board make me laugh so hard sometimes. Utah is different and if you move here thinking you can force your values and culture on others you can' t, that kind of attitude will ensure your experience is a poor one. During conference this weekend the prophet denounced bigotry and racism and called for greater acceptance from members of the church.

To 720 I say, next time someone from the church comes over just ask them to remove you and your wife from the records. They will do it provided you send them a letter expressing your wishes.

Let the flaming and hating continue.............
    "dad, do Unicorns poop."

I have never heard of Angel Skin and I'm mormon....if you are refering to the Garments, those who go through the LDS Temple wear them.

No, the church does not give you money after you get married...where did you hear that?
    you sketchy character, you

Percentage wise ID is WAY more mormon than SLC.
    Idaho is 14% LDS. Salt Lake City is about 30%. Both figures according to Wikipedia, but backed up by other searchable sources.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtrubs
    Seems like Mormons would therefore be anti-black, but that can't possibly be the case. (Pardon the layman's terms, but one of my aforementioned high school friends tried to give me a brief synopsis of the Book of Mormon once.)
    That's just not true. SLC looks more like the Bronx nowdays. (Except those aren't pimps with lots of hos, they're married)

Quote Originally Posted by skiing-in-jackson
    One more thing...

Code for "Are you Mormon?" is:

"What a beautiful family you have"
    Heh, reminds me of a party in SLC I went to with my fallen Momo GF. Some dude asked me if I was LDS and I misheard him and said occasionally. He got a questioning look and asked me to explain. I proceeded to talk about LSD and the fun it was... He had a horrified look on his face.
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunterski

To 720 I say, next time someone from the church comes over just ask them to remove you and your wife from the records. They will do it provided you send them a letter expressing your wishes.
    So it has to be in writting? And you wonder why there are so many jokes.

"a yin without a yang"

Cyber Cop, I believe getting it in writing is the preferred way to be officialy removed from the records of the church. Now if he jsut doesn't wnat people to come over a simple "don't come here anymore" should suffice, I guess their are members of the church who are more persistent than me.
    "dad, do Unicorns poop."

I guess you'd also be opposed to living somewhere predominately black? Jewish?
    Nice try, but blacks are a race and participate in many religions.. Jews have a specific religion. That being said, blacks and jews as a whole, generally share more of my beliefs than say a hyper-conservative cult like say, the mormons.

re·li·gion ( P ) Pronunciation Key (r-ljn)
    n.

Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe.
    A personal or institutionalized system grounded in such belief and worship.
    The life or condition of a person in a religious order.
    A set of beliefs, values, and practices based on the teachings of a spiritual leader.
    A cause, principle, or activity pursued with zeal or conscientious devotion.

cult ( P ) Pronunciation Key (klt)
    n.

A religion or religious sect generally considered to be extremist or false, with its followers often living in an unconventional manner under the guidance of an authoritarian, charismatic leader.
    The followers of such a religion or sect.
    A system or community of religious worship and ritual.
    The formal means of expressing religious reverence; religious ceremony and ritual.
    A usually nonscientific method or regimen claimed by its originator to have exclusive or exceptional power in curing a particular disease.

Doesn't seem to be much difference between the two to me...

Talking

You have no idea how oppressive it is here! Sometimes when I wake up in the morning i look outside to make sure i'm not in nazi germany. It is insane, the cops are constantly harrassing me for no good reason. Why, just this morning I was driving my subie with the pot leaf window decals, legalize it bumper sticker and dancing acid bears and the cops pulled me over for nothing! Said i had a busted tail light. Fuckers.
    And don't even get me started on the beer thing. I can't even enjoy real beer, instead of having to drink 6 beers to get buzzed, i need seven!@! The horror.
    I went to a job interview this morning and the guy had the nerve to ask me how my weekend was. I knew what he was getting at, he wanted to know if I went to church. I said "fuck you, you mormon". I know i won't get that job cause i'm not a mo.
    I know i don't have any representation in the local government so i don't even bother to get involved or vote.
    In short the oppressiveness of mormon utah is ruining my life.
    BAHAHAHHHAAHAHHHHHAHHHAAAAA!!!!!!

to get yr name off their records list you must storm the tunnel @ the bottom of LCC right above the temple quarry 24 style.
    my inlaws lived in n ogden and had to move to colorado cuz they couldnt take it, my sis in law still lives there.
    i like the people are people setiment. and one plus about the fundi/strict mormos is they dont ski on sunday

Quote Originally Posted by BlurredElevens
    Um, yeah. That is fucking AWESOME. Where can I get one?
    1. Meet Mormon female.

2. Start at knees and head north.

btw...aside from the observations that people showing up on your door is annoying...which it is...there is a lot of unnecessary bashing. The Mormons I've met over the years tend to be friendly, outgoing people, with an admirable dedication to family and community. They do seem to be conservative, but no more than a lot of other "red state" groups. I can see where living in SLC might seem a bit oppressive if you are outside the church, but that is true in a lot of places, and with other organized religious, ethnic and political groups.
    Last edited by irul&ublo; 04-03-2006 at 12:27 PM.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunterski
    Cyber Cop, I believe getting it in writing is the preferred way to be officialy removed from the records of the church. Now if he jsut doesn't wnat people to come over a simple "don't come here anymore" should suffice, I guess their are members of the church who are more persistent than me.
    Well, in all fairness that's all it took for me. A polite I'm not interested and it was done.

"a yin without a yang"

Yes, it really sucks here. Everyone hates it. Stay away.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo
    1. Meet Mormon female.

2. Start at knees and head north.
    I was expecting the answer to simply be "Utah".