Page 6 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    I have nothing to add, besides I actually enjoyed reading this thread. I know next to nothing about the mormon religion, and this thread actually enlightened me a bit.

I find it funny however, that my mother (knowing my ski addiction) tells me, "Just please don't move to utah." She doesn't know anything either. Pretty much just a stereotype from my background/part of the country im from. Saying that, I have no problems/views/stereotypes on the issue. It's all good.

So I have no fucking clue what my point is. Well, I guess I learned some shit on this board other than skiing...And I guess that's cool.

I'll go back to my corner now.
    Drive slow, homie.

So what day is Christmas on this year Z?

Quote Originally Posted by phUnk
    Mormons make me jump my bike over big jumps.
    They don't make you, they only encourage.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyber Cop
    So the book of mormon was written in English by prophets in the Americas dating before European contact with the continents???
    No. It was written in their language (something similar to aramaic, I believe), and translated by Joseph Smith in the early 1800s.
    The Griz

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by BlurredElevens
    So what day is Christmas on this year Z?
    I'm a scientologist bitch.
    Drive slow, homie.

Quote Originally Posted by Mybad!
    Dispell another myth, if it is. Is it manditory to give 20% to the church? I don't know and I am just wondering out of pure curiosity. There seems to be a lot of head scratching out there. If I just join do I get any bennies (joke not ment to offend)?
    We pay tithing to the church--10 percent of what we earn. It's a principal that's been around since the days of the Bible. We're not forced too, it's something we believe in. There's no paid clergy in the Church. All the funds are used to build church facilities, help in aid worldwide, etc.

And you won't offend--unless you talk about my mama. Don't you dare be talkin' 'bout my mama.
    The Griz

D&C 132: either you believe all of joseph smith's revelations or none of them.

mormon-ites: feel free to research salomon spalding, who wrote a NOVEL about the native american mound builders of the east coast that among other things, hypothesized they were a lost tribe of jeruseleum. the publishing house the novel was submitted to employed a young joseph smith. while not the exact same story as the book of mormon, it does bear a noticible similarity and obviously a profound influence that indicates the whole concept of "revelation" is highly fraudulent (and i wont get into the multiple fraud arrests joseph smith had before starting the church)
    Last edited by marshalolson; 04-03-2006 at 01:19 PM.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by grizzle6
    We pay tithing to the church--10 percent of what we earn.
    Gross or net?

-Astro

Mormons are just fine by me.

Quote Originally Posted by AstroPax
    Gross or net?

-Astro

Gross. But it doesn't matter whether it's a penny or a benjamin. It's the principle. Man--I've gotta get back to work....
    The Griz

Astro, that is Gross not net.
    "dad, do Unicorns poop."

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson
    since you seem so well-versed, read Official Declaration - 1 in the same book.

Quote Originally Posted by CS
    since you seem so well-versed, read Official Declaration - 1 in the same book.
    "The Lord will never permit me or any other man who stands as President of this Church to lead you astray. It is not in the programme"
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

I keep reading this title as 'Do Morons really affect you?' It's keeping a smile on my face as I deal with morons every day.

I think the reason there is so much confusion about Mormonism is that there aren't really too many half-assed mormons like there are jews/christians/muslims/buddists/whatever. Mormons only seem to be completely devout, or tring to get out (usually a teenager or in their early 20's). I haven't met too many people that are on the slacker side of the religion. All things considered, they're really not any worse than the other religious recruiters that are out there.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

I just want to let all of you mormons here know that I respect your beliefs, and I share a lot of them. Maybe it's just the oppressive ultra-conservative mentality of the fundamentalists that gets to me.

All of you in here are a little different anyhow, because skiing is our religion.

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp
    All things considered, they're really not any worse than the other religious recruiters that are out there.
    Don't get me started on Jehovas Witnesses......

Very nice people. "Salt of the earth". I especially like it when they ask my wife ..."how many children do you have"? over and over again!
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

who cares? Most mormons are on the opposite side of the political scale as me, but the great thing about this country is that we allow people to believe whatever they want. Sure, I find their religion insane, but I find most organized religion insane. But if they feel that their belief helps them live a fulfilled and happy life, I guess that's what's important, so long as they don't press their beliefs on me.

On another note, the few mormons I have known have never really tried to press anything on me, and in general, have been really friendly people. So I'd say go for it, Utah would be a sweet place to live.

skiing is our religion.
    hallelujah goddammit

read "one nation under gods" good book

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson

mormon-ites: feel free to research salomon spalding, who wrote a NOVEL about the native american mound builders of the east coast that among other things, hypothesized they were a lost tribe of jeruseleum. the publishing house the novel was submitted to employed a young joseph smith. while not the exact same story as the book of mormon, it does bear a noticible similarity and obviously a profound influence that indicates the whole concept of "revelation" is highly fraudulent (and i wont get into the multiple fraud arrests joseph smith had before starting the church)
    I theorize that part of the image problem Mormons have is that there is a more vivd "paper trail" of records recounting the exploits of J.Smith and his followers with which to scrutinize. Had Christianity/Judaism/Islam been founded in the modern era, I wonder if they would be as globally embraced?
    Montani Semper Liberi

Quote Originally Posted by grizzle6
    We pay tithing to the church--10 percent of what we earn. It's a principal that's been around since the days of the Bible. We're not forced too, it's something we believe in. There's no paid clergy in the Church. All the funds are used to build church facilities, help in aid worldwide, etc.
    Not sure about the catholics, but I know most prodestant churches do the same.
    .....Visit my website. .....

"a yin without a yang"

Just like any other Church. You attend her for her services, throw your money in the dish and then go eat brunch.
    Church for food and liquor store for salvation. Lord, please save me from your followers.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Mormon chix were surprisingly easy back in the day....

Quote Originally Posted by ctarmchair
    taking the Lord's name in vain and drinking whiskey on your lawn in Draper.
    You saw Marshal in Draper?