Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    They're people. They think a lot different than me, but so does everyone. I've lived in Utah my whole life and I'm OK; not molested, not converted, not fundamental, extreme, prude, or beligerant. Some towns might fuck your kids up though, but more because of the intermountain west backwoods good ol boy motherfuckers than the Mormons. Just pick the right neighborhood and you'll never leave this tiny little addictive mountain range.

Quote Originally Posted by skiing-in-jackson
    You can't- if you ask to be removed, they put you on the "visit more frequently" list.

I'm not mormon, never was, never will be, but an older lady friend of ours joined the church for about a year back in the sixties and the missionaries still come to her house about 3x a year. She chaes them away, but they keep coming back.

More scary, she's moved a few times, and they always manage to find her- where she works, her phone number etc. its like stalking!
    Exactly. That is what they seem to be doing with us.... My wife got a fucking Birthday card from them last week. It was signed by a lady that works where I work. Sometimes she comes back to my department to make chit-chat - always after missionaries came by and we didn't answer the door. She always asks stuff like "did you guys go anywhere fun this weekend" but I know why she is asking.

Once her husband knocked on our door one Sunday, he is a "home teacher". We didn't answer the door. Also, I hadn;t brought in the paper in a few days. He stacked them nicely by my door, then Monday his wife came back and asked if everything was ok becasue her husband was "passing by, inthe neighborhood yesterday" and noticed we had alot of papers in front of our door.

Wierd? I'm with Skiing-In-Jackson on this. Kinda creeps me out.
    "Have fun, get a flyrod, and give the worm dunkers the finger when you start double hauling." ~Lumpy

Quote Originally Posted by alto
    They're people. They think a lot different than me, but so does everyone. I've lived in Utah my whole life and I'm OK; not molested, not converted, not fundamental, extreme, prude, or beligerant. Some towns might fuck your kids up though, but more because of the intermountain west backwoods good ol boy motherfuckers than the Mormons. Just pick the right neighborhood and you'll never leave this tiny little addictive mountain range.
    Where did you do your mission & what year did you graduate from BYU-Idaho?
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

As a kid, I grew up in Idaho, which is almost as Mormon as Utah. I was in the Boy Scouts, and the only way to do that was through the Mormon church. So for years, I was constantly inundated with their values and culture. Can you say lame, lame, lame? Mormons are the epitome of uncool. That's my problem with them. Their whole lame vibe rubs me the wrong way, and I'd go out of my way to annoy them and piss them off.
    Last edited by BlurredElevens; 04-03-2006 at 11:33 AM.

Thats it Im moving...after opening day!!! Yes Im already drinking

and is there a no-visit list like the no-call list.

and if she converted then so am i but to be jewish...Yes its Passover and Matazo Ball soup for everyone!!! Shalom!

Quote Originally Posted by alto
    Sounds like "Invasion of the Body Snatchers"!
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Quote Originally Posted by skiing-in-jackson
    Crazy stuff- we got to SLC for a shopping trip about once a year. Honestly I'm always scared to bring my kids there- highest child abuse/incest rates in the country.

One day, my wife- a pretty level headed gal- looked around at the gentry and comapred them to "caged animals". Put those glasses on and walk around for a day and things will look different, very different.

Back to my point- morons are always trying to get to you- most notably they always do it through our children. They ALWAYS approach your children. IT CREEPS ME OUT!!!

Barf...

I'm going this week for a few days, I'll count the number of times my children are approached by strange, garment-wearing middle aged men.

"You are really pretty sweet-heart" a molester said to my (then) 7 year old daughter. I was around a rack of clothes, about 2 feet away, but the pervert didn't see me. A middle aged man walking alone around the children's department talking to little girls- I almost decked him

I'll loose count of how many times my children are approached this week in SLC...
    This is the kind of story I love. I've lived here since '93 and have never had the experiences you described. Maybe it's you?

Quote Originally Posted by 72Twenty
    Exactly. That is what they seem to be doing with us.... My wife got a fucking Birthday card from them last week. It was signed by a lady that works where I work. Sometimes she comes back to my department to make chit-chat - always after missionaries came by and we didn't answer the door. She always asks stuff like "did you guys go anywhere fun this weekend" but I know why she is asking.

Once her husband knocked on our door one Sunday, he is a "home teacher". We didn't answer the door. Also, I hadn;t brought in the paper in a few days. He stacked them nicely by my door, then Monday his wife came back and asked if everything was ok becasue her husband was "passing by, inthe neighborhood yesterday" and noticed we had alot of papers in front of our door.

Wierd? I'm with Skiing-In-Jackson on this. Kinda creeps me out.
    I wonder if it's possible to get a restraining order against the entire mormon church? That could be a lucrative business. Get your restraining order online for only 19.99?
    .....Visit my website. .....

"a yin without a yang"

Quote Originally Posted by Cyber Cop
    I wonder if it's possible to get a restraining order against the entire mormon church? That could be a lucrative business. Get your restraining order online for only 19.99?
    Hah! That's classic.
    "Have fun, get a flyrod, and give the worm dunkers the finger when you start double hauling." ~Lumpy

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by flykdog
    This is the kind of story I love. I've lived here since '93 and have never had the experiences you described. Maybe it's you?
    Maybe his kids are more attractive than yours.

Alright--
    So I'm mormon, and quite a "liberal" mormon at that (if you can use those two words in the same sentence). I'm very open to people, ideas, etc. For any on the board that know me, I'm as good or bad a person as the next guy. For the most part I consider myself a loyal and trusted friend, a hard worker, and a fun-loving "normal" person just like the rest of you freakshow maggots.
    However, I do believe in my religion. I served a mission in Italy. I was one of those dudes in white shirts and ties that supposedly "never leaves you alone". Well, if you don't want to hear their message, they should leave you alone. They're not there to force their beliefs on anyone. The message we/they share is one of acceptance on your/their part. So, just know that they mean well, and that they are doing they're best to do what they believe to be their duty.

As a 19 year old kid, a mission was the hardest and most rewarding period in my life. I grew up a ton. I experienced the highest highs and lowest lows.

For the most part, I laugh and make fun of mormon culture as much as anyone, but I've gotta say that there are a huge number of misconceptions going on, and I'd feel somewhat cowardly if I didn't at least stand up for what I believe in. Comments like "perverted, middle-aged garment wearing men" are just plain cutting and uncalled for, and largely not true. Mormons are not perfect, just like anyone and everyone else. While it is true that a church can (and should) be judged by its members, I don't think you can generalize a church's behavior just because you know one or two mormons that might seem a little different, or have done something to offend you. I believe God created a perfect church, and then he let people into it.

I will be the first one to call someone out (mormon or not) for shady behavior. I don't care what you believe in--God, Buddha, Ullr, Yo mama, whatever--good people are good people, and the same goes for the reverse.

I just had to get this up and off my chest, cause I think there is a lot of misunderstanding when it comes to this subject.

End serious guy comments now.
    The Griz

Percentage wise ID is WAY more mormon than SLC.

Quote Originally Posted by BlurredElevens
    Their whole lame vibe rubs me the wrong way, and I'd go out of my way to annoy them and piss them off.
    I also love statements like this. If I go out of my way to annoy anyone, i usually get a 'lame vibe' from them.

What comes around goes around, eh? I certainly don't agree with the majority around here but I don't feel the need to spout off at the mouth every chance I get. And you know what i get? Respect for my beliefs and no spouting back.
    Last edited by flykdog; 04-03-2006 at 11:44 AM.

Kinda true... Everyone was upset about a Catholic named John Kennedy taking over the white house in 1960 (not that I remember or anything...).

And you what i get?
    My brain just exploded.

Quote Originally Posted by grizzle6
    Alright--
    So I'm mormon, and quite a "liberal" mormon at that (if you can use those two words in the same sentence). I'm very open to people, ideas, etc. For any on the board that know me, I'm as good or bad a person as the next guy. For the most part I consider myself a loyal and trusted friend, a hard worker, and a fun-loving "normal" person just like the rest of you freakshow maggots.
    However, I do believe in my religion. I served a mission in Italy. I was one of those dudes in white shirts and ties that supposedly "never leaves you alone". Well, if you don't want to hear their message, they should leave you alone. They're not there to force their beliefs on anyone. The message we/they share is one of acceptance on your/their part. So, just know that they mean well, and that they are doing they're best to do what they believe to be their duty.

As a 19 year old kid, a mission was the hardest and most rewarding period in my life. I grew up a ton. I experienced the highest highs and lowest lows.

For the most part, I laugh and make fun of mormon culture as much as anyone, but I've gotta say that there are a huge number of misconceptions going on, and I'd feel somewhat cowardly if I didn't at least stand up for what I believe in. Comments like "perverted, middle-aged garment wearing men" are just plain cutting and uncalled for, and largely not true. Mormons are not perfect, just like anyone and everyone else. While it is true that a church can (and should) be judged by its members, I don't think you can generalize a church's behavior just because you know one or two mormons that might seem a little different, or have done something to offend you. I believe God created a perfect church, and then he let people into it.

I will be the first one to call someone out (mormon or not) for shady behavior. I don't care what you believe in--God, Buddha, Ullr, Yo mama, whatever--good people are good people, and the same goes for the reverse.

I just had to get this up and off my chest, cause I think there is a lot of misunderstanding when it comes to this subject.

Now, them there snake dancin' folk, theys nuts!

Stop trying to convert us, you pervert!

well said...except pentecostals, who are all crazy.
    Last edited by bagtagley; 04-03-2006 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BlurredElevens
    My brain just exploded.
    OK, fixed it.

Bitch.

props to Griz for standing tall!

I'm not ever mean or rude to their faces, but it is getting frustrating that they won't leave us alone EVEN AFTER we told them we were not interrested. They knocked again yesterday - same dudes. That is when it really starts to push my buttons. We get knocks about 3 times a week lately. All of the sudden out of nowhere. It's like someone keeps pushing them to come talk to us.

And I do hate BYU with every fiber of my being becasue I am from Wyoming and I went to the University of Wyoming and that is what we do. Hate BYU. You have to in order to go to school here.

Alright--

Tell me more about this "Church of Yo Moma". I think you might be onto something.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley
    Stop trying to convert us, you pervert!

well said...except pentecostals, they're all crazy.

Oh yeah--sorry. I forgot to add that I'll be holding a pleasant evening "social" at my house this weekend. Bring all your beautiful families and we'll sing hymns and talk about new and exciting ways to make your own quilt. Don't bother eating beforehand, there will be bottomless pits of green jello, carrot and raising salad, and little mini BBQ beef sandwiches for one and all--2 percent milk is on the house, and graham crackers will be available for those who just can't seem to fill up. If it's too late to drive home, you can all sleep in my hyperbaric chamber. If us mormons don't decompress nightly, we'll melt. RSVP to Mizzle6 if interested.
    The Griz

Why can't we just all get along and dis on muslims?

I lost track of the thread here...

What year did you graduate from BYU-Idaho & where was your mission?
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by warthog
    Tell me more about this "Church of Yo Moma". I think you might be onto something.
    Just like any other Church. You attend her for her services, throw your money in the dish and then go eat brunch.

Do monkeys throw shit? There is your answer.