Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Boulder or Park City/Utah

where would be the best move with a big city nearby and slopes? im beginning to think boulder is too far from skiing and too much of a college town.

any insight would be much appreciated

How big is too big??? How small is too small???

Bozeman, MT- although a college town

http://http://www.bozemanchamber.com/relocation/
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

wow, you like, really gave us a lot to work with bud. ...and this has never been covered before.

Utah is way better in the access and snow department. Boulder is a super fun town though. If you are a climber Boulder can’t be beat. The levels of smug in the air can be dangerous though.

Park City is a ski town, and closer to the slopes than Boulder. Boulder, while yes, being somewhat of a college town, it is big enough that it is not JUST a college town. Boulder has tons more to offer, but it is further from the slopes than Park City. Most good mountain resorts are about 1.5 hour drive from Boulder. It really depends what you are looking for. Do you want to live in a ski town or a real town.
    -
    14erskiers.com

"Don't be afraid of the spaces between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so." - Belva Davis

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle"--Albert Einstein

I know where the best big city living with great skiing nearby is, but I was threatened and promised not to tell.

It isnt where you are looking BTW

so let me get this straight - you want to move to a city which is next to a big city and a ski resort, but you don't want to live in the big city or the ski resort?

Well, that just doesn't make sense.
    "Can't vouch for him, though he seems normal via email."

^ i used the search function, but didnt find much useful information.

well its pretty much between boulder, denver, park city or salt lake. i want to be able to live in a decent size town with access to a bigger city. but i def dont want to live in a collge town b/c im outta college and dont need to be surrounded by it. denver isnt out of the question, but it seems stupid to move from one big city to another and still have to drive 2 hrs to ski. i dont know anything about salt lake or park city, what types of jobs are there are, businesses etc.
    Last edited by JMan; 03-30-2006 at 10:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by smolakian
    The levels of smug in the air can be dangerous though.
    Especially when the jet stream blows George Clooney's acceptance speech into the area.
    Buy nice things here.
    www.motorcityglassworks.com

If you are worried about driving to ski, don't come to Denver - so that leaves Park City and SLC for you. Good luck.
    "Can't vouch for him, though he seems normal via email."

People who think Boulder too much of a 'college town' obviously have never spent any time in Boulder.

No love for the Emerald City?

Quote Originally Posted by homerjay
    People who think Boulder too much of a 'college town' obviously have never spent any time in Boulder.
    well thats why im asking

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster
    No love for the Emerald City?
    dood,
    they get angry.....

They smell like wet wool and dirty capilene. I think I can take them. All I need is a comb, a razor, and an Umbrella.

thats what I thought, but they distract you with the pretty skier girls,then the wizard comes, followed by the Juggernaught........

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikerskierchick
    Park City is a ski town
    I beg to differ. It's actually a burb of Salt Lake. Park City is a disgrace to the term Ski Town. IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Below Zero
    If you are worried about driving to ski, don't come to Denver - so that leaves Park City and SLC for you. Good luck.
    Wait a minute. We've got enough folks here. You can keep him - no offense Jman.
    "In the woods, we return to reason and faith. There I feel that nothing can befall me in life, — no disgrace, no calamity, (leaving me my eyes,) which nature cannot repair." -Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy
    thats what I thought, but they distract you with the pretty skier girls,then the wizard comes, followed by the Juggernaught........
    You may well have just saved my life. Thanks, mang - I owe you one.

I read in Outside that Boston is one of the top ten ski towns in the country. Why would you leave?

is that suppose to be a joke? i suppose that could be true b/c Nashoba, Bradford and Blue hills do kick ass.
    Last edited by JMan; 03-30-2006 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by A-wreck
    Especially when the jet stream blows George Clooney's acceptance speech into the area.
    Good for yooouuuuuu!
    This touchy-feely Kumbaya shit has got to go.

Quote Originally Posted by JMan
    ^ i used the search function, but didnt find much useful information.

well its pretty much between boulder, denver, park city or salt lake. i want to be able to live in a decent size town with access to a bigger city. but i def dont want to live in a collge town b/c im outta college and dont need to be surrounded by it. denver isnt out of the question, but it seems stupid to move from one big city to another and still have to drive 2 hrs to ski. i dont know anything about salt lake or park city, what types of jobs are there are, businesses etc.
    Don't forget Reno - the biggest little city in america, or at least in nevada. It does have great skiing nearby and is a decent sized city. also, don't forget boise. it's definitely a "decent sized city" with one ski resort nearby and others not too far away. though it's definitely inferior skiing when compared to utah and most of colorado.

But to give a serious answer to your actual question, look at SLC. Though the economy is not as big adn diverse as denver, it's not bad. the skiing is very close, and is better than the park city, boulder, or denver skiing. poke around east of downtown and you might find some neighborhoods that have a nice feel to them - they have that "decent sized town" feeling. just pretend that everything south of 80, other than the resorts, does not exist or else your will realize you are in a horribly sprawled metropolis. The cooler neighborhoods are near the University, but it definitely is not a college town.

Boulder is not necessarily a college town either, though you can;t completely ignore the influence of the school. there is great mountain access (though not great skiing access), and between it and denver, there is what most would probably consider to be a cooler "scene" than SLC. But have you ever looked at home prices in Boulder?

Quote Originally Posted by skiski
    Boulder is not necessarily a college town either, though you can;t completely ignore the influence of the school. there is great mountain access (though not great skiing access)
    The spring/summer bc skiing access out of Boulder offers more terrain than most would expect. Rollins and Brainard Lakes alone have dozens of classic lines within 45 minutes of Boulder. If you're into that kind of thing it definitely makes Boulder way more attractive.

I can never shake the feeling I am recreating in an oversized strip mall on the front range. Fuck the city man, If you wanna live in the mountains then move to the mountains, not the burbs.
    .....Visit my website. .....

"a yin without a yang"

thanks for the input. i was just checkin out tacoma too, being a farely good size its close to skiing and seattle. but it seems everyone living in washington is getting their shit stolen.
    Last edited by JMan; 03-30-2006 at 01:18 PM.