Page 17 of 85 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
    It's your final kindness. Ask the vet to sedate her first, before the shot. Stay with her and say goodbye.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

My dog couldn't get up and was having a lot of trouble walking. Xrays showed arthritis in her lower spine. A few days of prednisone (after some other meds that didn't work) and she was dramatically better. It's been a couple of years--she's 11--and we have to give her prednisone for a few days a couple times a year. Trouble breathing sounds worrisome though, unless it's just from the effort of trying to get up. Might be worth having a vet look at her, but if they can't find anything fixable, then yes, it's time. And even if the vet can't help her, you'll feel better knowing that you didn't miss something treatable. Good luck.

Thanks all.

She wouldn't eat her dog food. She ate some chicken and rice I cooked for her though. I took her out on the lawn and she tried to go, but she really can't squat. Left her in her bed in the garage last night and this morning I found her on the back lawn, wet from the rains last night. No idea how she made it out there. I'll take her to the vet tomorrow and see what he says.

Vibes
    watch out for snakes

sorry, thoughts to you and her loved ones - heavy sigh

Thanks for the kind words.

Put her down Friday. One of the toughest things I've ever done. I know it was for the best, but it doesn't feel like it.

Since I had an older dog I had avoided this thread before Jess got sick. Read through it this morning. Probably wasn't the best time to do so. Very sad, but it was also comforting to know you're not alone.

RIP Jesse. You were the best companion a guy could ask for.

It helped me to make a photo collage of doggies I have had. Keep them in the bedroom and they are one of the first things I see every morning.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by GiBo View Post
    Thanks for the kind words.

Put her down Friday. One of the toughest things I've ever done. I know it was for the best, but it doesn't feel like it.

Since I had an older dog I had avoided this thread before Jess got sick. Read through it this morning. Probably wasn't the best time to do so. Very sad, but it was also comforting to know you're not alone.

RIP Jesse. You were the best companion a guy could ask for.
    Sorry for your loss
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

Looks like she was a beautiful girl. Sorry for your loss.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Sorry for the loss... it's though but for sure the best for her, letting her go just shows how much you love her!

I'm on deathwatch with Jewels, did the prednizone/antibiotics for the past 10 days. I'm fucking crushed right now. Having to decide when to put your dog down on your birthday is brutal.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0145.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	812.9 KB 
ID:	167518Click image for larger version. 

Name:	007_18A.JPG 
Views:	104 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	167519
    Silent....but shredly.

Deepest sympathies
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Moeghoul View Post
    I'm fucking crushed right now. Having to decide when to put your dog down is brutal.
    I hear ya. No day is a good day when that decision is front and center. My wife always says they will let you know when it is time. Maybe, but looking into there eyes and saying "ok, I will let you go now" fucking sucks. Vibes to you and kisses and hugs to Jewel.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

I'm fucking crushed right now. Having to decide when to put your dog down is brutal.
    I hear ya. No day is a good day when that decision is front and center. My wife always says they will let you know when it is time. Maybe, but looking into there eyes and saying "ok, I will let you go now" fucking sucks. Vibes to you and kisses and hugs to Jewel.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Thanks, man. I'm happy to report back after 48 hours that on Thursday we were pretty sure that she was going down Friday/yesterday. So, what happened? We had been boiling chicken and rice to serve her something that she could eat for about 3-4 days earlier in the week, but she stopped eating that. Turns out we had rotisserie chicken from our local store on Thursday. I figured, she might as well eat anything she wants, she's been off the prednizone for 24 hours and let's spoil her with anything she might try and eat. Lo and behold, that salty rotisserie chicken was the ticket. She basically ate close to the whole thing over the course of Thursday and Thursday nite. I put her back on her arthritis med as well since I thought there was nothing left to lose and I wanted to give her every chance to bounce back. So, she slept thru until Friday morning without any accidents and I came downstairs to a slightly more alert dog. That's when it hit me that this dog has been robbed of electrolytes and other various nutrients after I did some googlin on the subject. Talk about smart animals, she knew what she needed, us dumb humans had to figure it out. Prednizone will cause dogs to drink and piss 24/7, so she was the key to her own fragile recovery. I NEED SODIUM, CHLORIDE, POTASSIUM, etc!!!

I fault the vet for not covering this issue when prescribing prednizone, we may have saved ourselves some unnecessary grief and she may have not been wiped out as badly. Since Thursday, she hops up on the sofa alone, met me at the back door yesterday after running a few errands, walked down the stairs unassisted, and gets in and out of the house unassisted to piss and dump.

As of this afternoon, she has graduated from rotisserie chicken to roast beef rare. She actually spit out the chicken, lulz. We feel like we're getting played! I don't know if she has days, weeks or months ahead of her, but we feel like we got 2 bonus days so far and hopefully a few more....
    Silent....but shredly.

watch out for snakes

Hope you get as many days with Jewels as you can.

I'm still struggling with my decision. I just don't think it's possible not to. You will always think you could have done/spent more to get more time.

Just got back from my first camp trip without Jesse. I got up the first day and went to open the back of the truck to let her out by habit.

Quote Originally Posted by GiBo View Post
    Hope you get as many days with Jewels as you can.

I'm still struggling with my decision. I just don't think it's possible not to. You will always think you could have done/spent more to get more time.

Just got back from my first camp trip without Jesse. I got up the first day and went to open the back of the truck to let her out by habit.
    Oh man, I feel your sadness, So sorry to hear it came to that. You can't second guess and/or go broke running to the vet. If the animal can get up, walk, eat, drink, shit and piss it lives. We got really lucky in figuring out the problem on our own with the dog's help. I bow to the rotisserie chicken machine at the Shoprite.
    My birthday gift was a stay of execution last Friday and Day 4 of a new beginning. She's going out on the front porch the last 2 days demanding a biscuit from the mailman. Took a respectable shit vs. the runs, and she's back to normal pissing wise.

Yeah, I'm setting myself up like bowling pins.........
    Silent....but shredly.

My Aussie has some nasty bumps the size of golf balls growing on his lower leg, first check by the vet and the guy looked like he saw a ghost. Biopsy next week, but the vet says either way he can't really remove them because of the location.

If there was a perfect dog, Kip has been it for me. He's only 9, let's hope he's got a few more good ones in him!

Oh man, I feel your sadness, So sorry to hear it came to that. You can't second guess and/or go broke running to the vet. If the animal can get up, walk, eat, drink, shit and piss it lives. We got really lucky in figuring out the problem on our own with the dog's help. I bow to the rotisserie chicken machine at the Shoprite.
    My birthday gift was a stay of execution last Friday and Day 4 of a new beginning. She's going out on the front porch the last 2 days demanding a biscuit from the mailman. Took a respectable shit vs. the runs, and she's back to normal pissing wise.

Yeah, I'm setting myself up like bowling pins.........
    We're on the exact same track Moeghoul. Our samoyed/golden mix is ancient (anywhere from 15-17) and on his last legs. He got an inner-ear problem and we put him on prednisone when he couldn't stand up. Did OK for a week, but when we tapered, he got really bad, even after resuming the steroids. Called the vet to put him down last Thursday, but cancelled when he rallied. He was worse again on Friday morning, so we called her again; he rallied once more and we cancelled again, it's been a rollercoaster. At least now he's hobbling around yelling at the passing dogs doing pretty OK. Sure, it's only a matter of time, but every reprieve is a godsend and every remaining moment with him is precious.

Good reminder about the electrolytes, I'm gonna get some Pedialyte this evening. Thanks.

Prayers for all the pups. The steroids can do wonders for a while. We got three more great months out of Duke last fall, but you know it's borrowed time. Ever day I woke up to see if today was going to be good or bad. Nothing better than to hear him barking for breakfast.

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    My Aussie has some nasty bumps the size of golf balls growing on his lower leg, first check by the vet and the guy looked like he saw a ghost. Biopsy next week, but the vet says either way he can't really remove them because of the location.

If there was a perfect dog, Kip has been it for me. He's only 9, let's hope he's got a few more good ones in him!
    A previous lab we had got some big Lypomas (sp?) but those were benign, hoping you might get some good news off the biopsy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Ungulate View Post
    We're on the exact same track Moeghoul. Our samoyed/golden mix is ancient (anywhere from 15-17) and on his last legs. He got an inner-ear problem and we put him on prednisone when he couldn't stand up. Did OK for a week, but when we tapered, he got really bad, even after resuming the steroids. Called the vet to put him down last Thursday, but cancelled when he rallied. He was worse again on Friday morning, so we called her again; he rallied once more and we cancelled again, it's been a rollercoaster. At least now he's hobbling around yelling at the passing dogs doing pretty OK. Sure, it's only a matter of time, but every reprieve is a godsend and every remaining moment with him is precious.

Good reminder about the electrolytes, I'm gonna get some Pedialyte this evening. Thanks.
    I tried pedialyte diluted in water, she didn't drink it. I got a clear colored bottle I hoped was flavorless, but it had a bit of a sour taste to it. Check with the vet for options. I think feeding her some salty food and maybe a multivitamin and minerals might work. Awesome looking pooch, Seeing them when they're old and vulnerable but still try to rally is definitely rollercoaster, its a singular joy and sadness these days. Enjoy the remaining time with him.
    Silent....but shredly.

Prayers for all the pups. The steroids can do wonders for a while. We got three more great months out of Duke last fall, but you know it's borrowed time. Ever day I woke up to see if today was going to be good or bad. Nothing better than to hear him barking for breakfast.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, and RIP Duke. Day 5 and still rallying, doing some wound care on her hind feet which she's been licking for weeks. She's taking her post-nooner shit nap. Take note of the stylish plastic trash bags to protect the sofa cushions. The golden nugget is the second day in the row that she took a solid shit. Another reason to live!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-06-02 14.06.36.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	2.16 MB 
ID:	167589   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-06-02 14.01.16.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	167590  
    Silent....but shredly.

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post

Sorry Cono.

Our nine year old Golden is getting lumpier by the day, I was grooming out his winter undercoat the other day and the thought occurred to me that he's probably not going to get to grow another one.

We had three large masses removed 18 months ago and the recovery was complicated by a postoperative infection. We nearly lost him then and decided that we wouldn't put him through surgery any further.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

been lurkin' on this thread for ages, just knowing that our time will come someday. Sad to read all of your tales, brings a tear to my eye.