Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: LASIK

I dunno. I went to ICON in Denver. It felt like a LASIK factory. Lot's of folks coming and going at various stages of pre and post op. Cost me $900/eye. Best $1800 I ever spent on anything. The 2 local docs I got pricing info from were alomst twice as expensive for the same technology. I can't imagine how they'd have come up with a better result though. If my vision were any better I could see right through walls.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

having it in the morning. flew to Dallas for the pro surgeon. running 3150 total (pre and post ops, 2 years of touch ups and one lifetime touch up) getting the Wavefront Allegreto Intralsik procedure. They said i may get to 20/10 vision cause i have thick corneas

will update tomorrow or next day
    "I think people resist freedom because they're afraid of the unknown. But it's ironic....That unknown was once very well known. It's where our souls belong....The only solution is to confront them--confront yourself--with the greatest fear imaginable. Expose yourself to your deepest fear. After that, fear has no power, and fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." -Jim Morrison

Just go with the cheapest you can find, it's only your eyes! Joking aside, do it, where I had it done very much felt like a factory line money making conveyor belt but they seemed to know what they were doing and it turned out better than I could ever imagine. Being able to see the leaves on trees with no glasses/contacts was pretty special. Had problems with dry eyes but think that's from years wearing contacts. Just be prepared for the burning smell...
    Will there ever be a boy born who can swim faster than a shark?

It has been a year since my LASIK surgery and I couldn't be happier. My vision is still crystal clear day and night. I had zero complications during the entire time. Money well spent.
    I can't believe you are a rando racer because I look so much better in Lycra than you.

People who don't think the Earth is flat haven't skied Vail.

well things went off nicely today. I was 20/25 with glasses on the way to the surgery. about 20 minutes after it was over i could see near 20/20. I am hoping for 20/15ish. Way faster and unobtrusive as a procedure than i expected
    "I think people resist freedom because they're afraid of the unknown. But it's ironic....That unknown was once very well known. It's where our souls belong....The only solution is to confront them--confront yourself--with the greatest fear imaginable. Expose yourself to your deepest fear. After that, fear has no power, and fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." -Jim Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by Humble View Post
    well things went off nicely today. I was 20/25 with glasses on the way to the surgery. about 20 minutes after it was over i could see near 20/20. I am hoping for 20/15ish. Way faster and unobtrusive as a procedure than i expected
    My eyes are way worse than this. I just hope I can end up with 20/20.

Going to a Diamond Vision Center this weekend though near my house. Just want to see what they can offer. I don't think I'm going to have the surgery until the spring though.

I had LASIK in NZ in 1998. Went from -8 both eyes which is the limit for the procedure (really bad, almost legally blind, they don't even score it out of 20!)
    After it was 20/20 for one eye and -.5 the other.
    Its slipped a bit now to -.25 and -.75 but still legal to drive without glasses and more importantly I can ski and climb and SEE in all weather.
    The night vision is a bit worse but still OK.

For me one of the best things I've ever had done.
    'I dare to dream and differ from the hollow lies'

Quote Originally Posted by NorEasterSkier View Post
    My eyes are way worse than this. I just hope I can end up with 20/20.

Going to a Diamond Vision Center this weekend though near my house. Just want to see what they can offer. I don't think I'm going to have the surgery until the spring though.

make sure you discuss/get informed on all the different procedures and what they do and can guarantee. It used to be just LASIK, now there are 10 differnt ways to get it done, so study up!

Great thread...I had lasik done about 7 years ago...still have 20/15 vision...before that I wore contacts for 12 years....I hated contacts after 10 years..only wore them because of being very active, and glasses suck for sports of any kind....best 2500 I ever spent..

HOW IS YOUR NEAR (READING) VISION AFTER LASIK - assuming you were more than -5 prior to the surgery?

Is it hard to read fine print or see small detail after surgery?
    I can't see shit up close with contacts or glasses - so I look over the tops of my glasses to do fine craft work. A bit afraid I will need reading magnifiers if I do lasik.

Anyone with real world feedback on the size or legibility of objects post lasik?
    . . .

My near vision is fine, but I was nearsighted anyway, and my prescription was
    -2.75/-2.50...
    and I am still young, had it done at 23 as my eyes hadn't changed in about 8 years.
    My father who had it done at about 50 just needs reading glasses, but that is more due to age than anything.

Anyone with real world feedback on the size or legibility of objects post lasik?
    not sure what you mean by this.

damn i really need to do this... been wearing glasses since i was 6 and have about a -6.5 w/ astigmatism...

i had had a prescreen years ago and they said i was a good candidate but i was moving at the time and wouldn't be able to make it back for the post-checkups... still wish i had...

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    HOW IS YOUR NEAR (READING) VISION AFTER LASIK - assuming you were more than -5 prior to the surgery?

I can't see shit up close with contacts or glasses - so I look over the tops of my glasses to do fine craft work. A bit afraid I will need reading magnifiers if I do lasik.

CS, I had lasik done at least 10 years ago and went from being 20/400 to about 20/25-20/30. So not a prefect 20/20, but I am pretty sure I was considered legally blind without contacts in. Because I was in my early forties at the time, I did need to get reading glasses for small font in low light conditions (restaurants) As the years have passed, I find it more necessary to use reading glasses, but BFD. I can surf and ski without having to deal with PITA contacts. Typing on the computer is fine, I don't need glasses.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

I had LASIK done when I was 42 - needed reading glasses immediately after surgery. Pissed me off. Now 10 years later my reading vision is terrible, need to wear reading glasses to eat.

Yep, from the research i did if you're going to need reading glasses w/o lasik, you also will after you have it done. But the distance is corrected, no glasses/contacts for sports seems like a pretty kickass deal. But as my distance vision changed a couple notches over the last five years, i have to wonder if i have it done, will i end up having glasses anyways as the vision may well continue to slowly diminish...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

I'll let you know soon cs.
    I'm getting LASIK done next Friday (day after Thanksgiving)
    41 and don't need reading glasses yet, but may need them afterwards according to the doc.

Anyone had the monovision done?
    (they undercorrect one eye - dominant or non-dominant eye, don't remember)
    So that you can see close with one eye and far with the other...

Sorry, my contacts prescription is -4.75 L and -5.25R, so right at -5.
    Aggressive in my own mind

Quote Originally Posted by blomeasap View Post
    I had LASIK done when I was 42 - needed reading glasses immediately after surgery. Pissed me off. Now 10 years later my reading vision is terrible, need to wear reading glasses to eat.
    ouch.

Back on the research wagon again, and the local doc is suggesting MONOVISION
    e.g. one eye (dominant one) fully corrected, and other eye left partially undercorrected for reading
    . . .

anyone else have trouble with salt water swimming leading to burning fucking eyeball syndrome?

I had PRK about 4 years ago. My vision went to 20/20 the docs said. In my view, it's not as sharp as I'd hoped it would be. i.e. relative to what other people describe their perfect sight to be. Still, really happy I had the treatment overall

One thing for me though, I went to Cancun last month and swimming or riding the wave runner with all the salt water in the eyes just fucking hammered them! BURNING and RED as hell!
    ‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›

the local doc is suggesting MONOVISION
    If you're posting on TGR, I'd suggest you want both eyes fully distance-corrected for skiing, surfing, biking and driving. With one eye closed if need be.

If you need to use reading glasses to made sense of the tiny words on your altimeter directions, so be it. I ask my kids to read small print for me.

Eventually, you'll need cataract surgery anyway, and you can go with a viscous lens option . . .

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    If you're posting on TGR, I'd suggest you want both eyes fully distance-corrected for skiing, surfing, biking and driving. With one eye closed if need be.

If you need to use reading glasses to made sense of the tiny words on your altimeter directions, so be it. I ask my kids to read small print for me.

Eventually, you'll need cataract surgery anyway, and you can go with a viscous lens option . . .
    Most people adjust really well to monovision. I haven't noticed any loss of spatial awareness or depth perception with biking, skiing, or windsurfing. Night time driving is the only time I feel the need to use driving glasses, and that's for really long trips. The undercorrected eye is only -2.0.

off to get my eyes zapped in a few minutes
    wish me luck!
    fur bearing, drunk, prancing eurosnob

Quote Originally Posted by hoarhey View Post
    I'll let you know soon cs.
    I'm getting LASIK done next Friday (day after Thanksgiving)
    41 and don't need reading glasses yet, but may need them afterwards according to the doc.

Anyone had the monovision done?
    (they undercorrect one eye - dominant or non-dominant eye, don't remember)
    So that you can see close with one eye and far with the other...

Sorry, my contacts prescription is -4.75 L and -5.25R, so right at -5.
    Yes, I needing reading glasses immediately after getting LASIK.
    Wasn't too happy about it, but now 9 months out, I'm used to it.
    Can get by for most reading without glasses...

Had a great ski season not having to half-close my eyes in the middle of my run because my contact was threatening to flutter off...

Woot!
    Aggressive in my own mind

Has anyone had Lasik done at the LasikPlus in Denver (Lakewood)? I noticed someone else recommended ICON in Denver. Just wanted some other opinions. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Arno View Post
    off to get my eyes zapped in a few minutes
    wish me luck!
    So how'dit go?

I'm thinking more and more about lasik. Is there any cut off age where u can't have it done anymore? Seems i recall it was 40 but that has been some time ago. Maybe the newer techniques have changed this? I'm 48 and ready to be done with contacts.

Ripz - it went really well. Had it done on a Saturday morning. Could see well enough to get myself home (by taxi admittedly) 30mins after the operation. Fairly miserable first day as expected. Sunday was pretty good but avoided bright lights. Was in work as usual on the Monday.

Takes a little while to "bed in" but a year on I am really glad I did it. I occasionally get tired/dry eyes but I got those with my glasses.

On age, I wouldn't rule it out but best to check with an expert. The treatment cannot treat long sightedness but they sometimes just treat one eye so you have a good eye for long distances and a good eye for close up. Apparently it takes a bit of getting used to but your brain adjusts and it can work quite well
    fur bearing, drunk, prancing eurosnob