salomon cr johnson mini review (aka candide)

me: 5'10" 175
    type: not really flippy spinny, good skier otherwise
    mount: sally 914s at -3 (on the rec of wildstyle who measured the point at 2 cm more forward than the regular 1080 spot)
    conditions: bit of everything, heavy pow, moguls, slush, piste, ice

snagged these babies on a great deal and couldn't turn 'em down. i liked the orange 1080s for the most part a few yearrs ago, but always felt that they lacked a bit of backbone. first of all, the bases are really fast (but be careful cause they aren't the most stable things in a straight line). i've never skied race skis, but these things are zippy fast which felt great. they don't really float in heavy pow, but still have enough stiffness in the shovel to deal with crud. the tail is pretty soft though, and the balance of stiffer tip and softer tail does get some getting used to (going from explosivs with slightly softer tip and stiffer tail).

for those of you flippy spinny boys out there, i've never been on a ski with more pop. you've gotta make sure that you're ready and balanced for it, but if you are, WOW, boing. this pop makes short, agressive, 2 footed turns on ice, etc really fun. it also makes moguls kinda tricky as they shoot you around a bit, but once you figure out that the spring is coming, you can really pop around.

very fun ski and i only really posted this cause you can find them for $275 on http://www.levelninesports.com which i reckon is a pretty good deal.

update on these, they rock. mounted at -3 they make a terriffic all mountain ski that still gives you the choice to mix it up a bit if you want. great hard snow grip, fast bases, and even pretty decent in cut up mank when they have to be (plowing thru of course). a good ski if you can still get deals on 'em.

a good ski if you can still get deals on 'em.
    Bumb just cause I'm stoked. A brand new pair 120€ + shipping. Score!

for those of you flippy spinny boys out there, i've never been on a ski with more pop. you've gotta make sure that you're ready and balanced for it, but if you are, WOW, boing. this pop makes short, agressive, 2 footed turns on ice, etc really fun. it also makes moguls kinda tricky as they shoot you around a bit, but once you figure out that the spring is coming, you can really pop around.
    Fuck yeah. I hate my Dogens cause they don't glide, you have to wax all the time. And they don't have much pop. You get used to it but I've always wanted a park ski with good pop and some versatility. This sounds just what I want. Going to mount on the recommended mark; these are going to be 90% for the park.
    "Average summit heights are around 1000m to 1200m but on the high glaciers of the main Lyngen Peninsula there are summits over 1400m with Jiehkkevarri being the highest at 1834m above sea level."

Quote Originally Posted by Jiehkevarri View Post
    Bumb just cause I'm stoked. A brand new pair 120€ + shipping. Score!
    Online ? Willing to share ?
    "Typically euro, french in particular, in my opinion. It's the same skiing or climbing there. They are completely unfazed by their own assholeness. Like it's normal." - srsosbso

Yes on-line. But there were only one pair

(PM also sent)
    Last edited by Jiehkevarri; 03-22-2007 at 03:10 AM.
    "Average summit heights are around 1000m to 1200m but on the high glaciers of the main Lyngen Peninsula there are summits over 1400m with Jiehkkevarri being the highest at 1834m above sea level."

Picked up a pair last week, 180cm mounted w/ look px12 ti. Got to try them out on bumps, ice, packed powder, crud and deep powder all in one weekend. ( I love new england) My first twin tips, 5th day on skis this season (snowboarding) so take my thoughts w/ a grain of salt. They also brought how inadequate my boots were to the forefront, way packed out...too big. It physically HURT to drive these things with them, but I quickly replaced those and had no further problems with cramps/fatigue & screwing up in technical areas. Should have done that last season anyway.
    So, my thoughts:
    Had them mounted @ recommended mark but I'm thinking that may have been a mistake as I'm not into park at all. Had a lot of trouble adjusting to these in the moguls, got slightly more fluid as the day went on but they never felt at home there. Ice/hardpack was fine, felt too far forward off and on but they carved around just fine. They felt like they wanted to spin rather than turn at times but with a little adaptation it didn't bother me much. Once we got into the woods and some knee high powder, they turned into animals. Felt very stable taking off and landing drops, pitched forward a couple times landing a 10ft cliff but leaning back a tad more solved that problem and stomping the landings became easy. No real problems with nose diving and they were nice and responsive in some pretty tight EC trees.

Reading other people's posts really has me thinking of getting them re-drilled @ -3cm from the recommended mount point. I'm leaning back more than I'd like to in the powder and landings. At high speeds on hardpack I just felt way too far forward and they float around on me a bit more than I'd like, that being said the base is FAST. I did just go from 66mm to 80mm after spending the season primarily on snowboards so some/all of these issues might very well be me, not the skis.

For those more experienced: Do you think having them re-drilled 2-3cm back would alleviate some of the "too far forward" feeling @ high speed and eliminate the need to lean so far back in the powder & air?

Sorry for how long winded this was, any suggestions/thoughts would be appreciated on where to mount on this ski for all mountain/woods focused skier.

Where is the recommended point in relation to the center of the ski? I picked up a pair of 180's on SAC. I had them shipped to my parents house (out of state) so I can't really bust out a tape measure. My dad is going to take them to get mounted at the local shop. I need to tell him where I want them mounted. If someone has a pair of 180's and doesn't mind measuring I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

definitely don't hesitate to go -2 to -3cm on these from the line if you're skiing all mtn.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.
    Loving these things so far.

jim: ill try to find a tape measure tonight and update w/ measurements if you haven't already had them mounted.
    Last edited by yodaottis; 04-10-2007 at 08:23 AM.

Where is the recommended point in relation to the center of the ski?
    Based on some search from newschoolers.com etc. - it's only about 2cm back from true center!

I also did some comparison between my current twins, Völkl Dogens...and the C.R Lab mark seem to be around 2cm back from Völkl FS mark. And the Völkl FS mark seems pretty close to the true center of the skis too.

So, for all mountain I'd mount 2-3cm back.

Personally, I'm going to try the recommended center mount for park...(gotta work on those maaad steeze switch take-offs...heh. Currently the record is switch 180 on some 15 feet gap... on anything bigger the thought of going bacwards scares the shit out of me!)

BUMP for review.

Finally got to test these beauties.

Short review:

I'd say this is an all-mountain ski (for harder surface / smaller hills) disguised as a twin-tip! Pretty solid feeling. I'd even concider re-mounting...I guess these would be pretty nice e.g. in moguls mounted a few cm:s back? You can always buy cheap jib sticks for center mounted park tools but IMHO this ski feels like it has alot more potential...LAB series really seem to be different from other Salomons.

Long review here

I was going to get rid of them but I've put some more time on them this year and they've been growing on me a lot.
    Didn't move the mount, figured it'd be a good experience to adapt to a centerish mount. A lot more confident on landing switch now, still avoid the park generally though. I use em in all sorts of conditions, when it's icy and steep I have to constantly remind myself about the 3miles of tale behind my feet though.
    I thought these were foam core, not wood but could be wrong.

Good review.

I thought these were foam core, not wood but could be wrong.
    I have to check that out from somewhere. I was pretty sure that LAB are all wood core (compared to "standard" Solly foam core)?

But glad you liked the review.

You have a point on adapting to centerish mount...