Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

How much is to much driving for skiing?

Is it worth it? 6/7 hours (3 to 4 hours each way) of driving for 5 hours of skiing? It could be one of the best ski days of the year at Squaw Wed. but I need to be back to work by 4 or 5pm Wed. I can go Tue. night stay up there over night and then drive back by 1pm Wed. Would you do it?

Quote Originally Posted by minddoc
    Is it worth it? 6/7 hours (3 to 4 hours each way) of driving for 5 hours of skiing? It could be one of the best ski days of the year at Squaw Wed. but I need to be back to work by 4 or 5pm Wed. I can go Tue. night stay up there over night and then drive back by 1pm Wed. Would you do it?
    I have done 16 hours overnight with some other maggots and 9 hours for one day by myself.

3-4 hours each way is nothing... that's the drive from Denver - Aspen.

the drive is always worth it, always
    Three fundamentals of every extreme skier, total disregard for personal saftey, amphetamines, and lots and lots of malt liquor......-jack handy

Quote Originally Posted by soul_skier
    the drive is always worth it, always
    Except when you begin to fall asleep on the drive back.

Quote Originally Posted by minddoc
    3 - 4 hours from sac? You driving a moped? If I was you I would probably come up tuesday night.

roll down the windows, blast any type of music that you hate, put something bulky between your back and the seat (avy shovel, ski boot) anything that will make you uncomfortable, problem solved, at least for me.
    Three fundamentals of every extreme skier, total disregard for personal saftey, amphetamines, and lots and lots of malt liquor......-jack handy

i once left school at 10:30 pm going to mammoth, arrived at 3:30 am, slept in the car, skied pow all day long, then made a 6 hour drive back. Totally worth it.
    Go Sharks.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn
    3 - 4 hours from sac? You driving a moped? If I was you I would probably come up tuesday night.
    I have to go back to Marin!
    I will stay in Truckee Tue. night.
    Last edited by minddoc; 03-14-2006 at 12:03 AM.

I think Phish has us all beat for most insane roadtrip.

i've done my door(menlo park) by redwood city, to squaw parking lot in 2 hours, 43 mins, 36 seconds. It was decent road conditions on new years day this year, from sacramento, it shouldn't take more than 1.5-2.5 even in less than perfect conditions, then again, i did it with no traffic on a day when every cop in the state was on duty the night before.

My normal day trip is the South Bay (Mt View) to Kirkwood..... Saturday was a typical 4 hours up, 5+ hrs riding pow, 4 hours back, shower, drive 45 min to S.F. Eat, drink, bail a little after midnight, home by 1am... All on about 4 hours sleep the night before...

Totally worth it, no questions asked...

i've done my door(menlo park) by redwood city, to squaw parking lot in 2 hours, 43 mins, 36 seconds. It was decent road conditions on new years day this year, from sacramento, it shouldn't take more than 1.5-2.5 even in less than perfect conditions, then again, i did it with no traffic on a day when every cop in the state was on duty the night before.
    ok I'm going, but I guess I'm not peeing one the way back.
    I think Wed. will be one of the best days of the year. Maybe perfect

do it. judging by the pics in some of the other threads, you will not regret it.

Just did something like 10 hours total for skiing today...

I have been awake for 40 hours straight....

worth the 100" storm total we skied today though!

Second star to the right and straight on till morning
    Wurkel gonna take 6 days to put up the pics this time, phish?

Glad you went, dude. Cannot WAIT to see the documentation.

Tell minddoc about your Altaventure... Go on. Tell him. Or just suffice it to say that phish has 7 hours beat by a LONG shot.

I'd say if it's the best day of the year, I would go with 12 hours each way as the limit. Sick but not best pow day: 6, maybe 8 hours each way? No pow: must be skiing at least as long as you're in the car.
    Days on snow 06-07: 3
    Days behind a boat summer 2006: 24

"Coming here and asking whether you need wider skis is like turning up at the Neverland Ranch and asking Michael if he'd like to come to Tampa with the kids" -bad roo.

If you really craved the powder you wouldn't even have to ask.

DO IT YOU PUSSY!!!!

Edit: for more colorful language
    You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.

Every thursday night I drive 30 mins to the ferry, wait 1 hr to catch the boat, 1.5hr ferry ride, another 2-3 hrs up to Whistler usually because of traffic. Worth every second/penny.
    Believe.

Always worth it.

Just did a nine day run of the PNW:

1200 miles (SEA to PDX to whistler to baker to SEA)
    Stayed in Portland, Squamish, and Galcier, WA.
    Skiied Meadows, Whistler, and Baker.
    The drive was all sweet, rain mostly, some snow, some sun.

EC city dwellers drive a lot to ski in a season. Into the maw of the gurge I believe is the phrase.

I have to deal with the ferry's also, turns a 125 mile trip into a 4 hour trip each way. nothing like catching the first boat in the morning, last boat home at 8:30, then waking up at 5 to do it again. Ends up being a 500 mile weekend. try to stay over as much as possible, in the car, motel, or friends floor/ couch, but there always seems to be some stupid reason I have to come back to the island. luckily I run a service station so I get cheap gas(just got a delivery, and paid $2.59 a gallon for 2000 gallons )

I just drove 9 for 5.5 hours at wolf creek... worth every minute in the car...
    Including AK days, I've never skied in deeper snow.

PS. iTunes audio-books are clutch

That used to be my normal minimum drive to go skiing at all - it didn't even matter if conditions were good or not - I just did the drive whenever I got the chance.
    "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow, what a Ride!"

I regularly drive 9 -10hours (one way) for 2 days worth of skiing... 6-7 hours? Pfff.

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonically_Neglected
    I regularly drive 9 -10hours (one way) for 2 days worth of skiing... 6-7 hours? Pfff.
    than you are
    a) very slow because of the caravan every inhabitant of the netherlands pulls behind hrr hrr

or
    b) just very slow.

c) in the very very NW of Holland.

i can make it in less than 6 hours from cologne and it does take about 1 1/2 hours to get deep into the land of tulips.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

put something bulky between your back and the seat (avy shovel, ski boot) anything that will make you uncomfortable, problem solved, at least for me.
    In the not too unlikely event you do wreck, having a ski boot between your lower spine and the seat is a great way to to make sure you never face that scenario again - or walk for that matter. The rest is good - but do NOT put hard stuff between you and the seat - avearge frontal crash involves 20G's acceleration - you WILL F up your back.
    [/soapbox]

As for the drive: DO IT!
    "Those 1%ers are not an avaricious "them" but in reality the most entrepreneurial of "us". If we had more of them and fewer grandstanding politicians, we would all be better off."
    - Bradley Schiller, Prof. of Economics, Univ. Nevada - Reno.