Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Isaac Hayes Quits South Park

Looks like the 'Trapped in the Closet' episode was too much for him.

Isaac Hayes Wants Out Of 'South Park' Due To Religious Jokes
    03.13.2006 4:07 PM EST

Voice of Chef upset with show's 'growing insensitivity.'
    Chef (Isaac Hayes)
    Photo: Comedy Central
    After nine seasons, more than 100 episodes and thousands of hot lunches served, Chef is apparently hanging up his apron and leaving the tiny town of South Park, Colorado.

Or at least the man who cooks up Chef's voice is. On Monday (March 13)

Isaac Hayes — who's provided the booming baritone for "South Park" 's cafeteria employee and resident ladies' man since the show began in 1997 — released a statement announcing his desire to be released from his contract with "South Park," blaming the program's "growing insensitivity towards personal spiritual beliefs."

"There is a place in this world for satire, but there is a time when satire ends and intolerance and bigotry towards religious beliefs of others begins," Hayes wrote in the statement. "Religious beliefs are sacred to people and at all times should be respected and honored. As a civil-rights activist of the past 40 years, I cannot support a show that disrespects those beliefs and practices."

"South Park" has taken potshots at just about every religion (episodes include such titles as "Christian Rock Hard" and "All About the Mormons?"), but the breaking point for Hayes was apparently "Trapped in the Closet," a November 2005 episode that makes several scathing attacks on Scientology, the religion he practices.

A spokesperson for Hayes confirmed to MTV News that the soul legend is a Scientologist but would not elaborate on whether or not the "Trapped in the Closet" episode had any impact on his decision to leave. However, according to one of the show's creators, that's exactly what happened.

"This has nothing to do with intolerance and bigotry and everything to do with the fact that Isaac Hayes is a Scientologist and that we recently featured Scientology in an episode of 'South Park,' " Matt Stone said. "In 10 years and over 150 episodes of 'South Park,' Isaac never had a problem with the show making fun of Christians, Muslims, Mormons and Jews. He got a sudden case of religious sensitivity when it was his religion featured on the show. To bring the civil-rights struggle into this is just a non sequitur. Of course we will release Isaac from his contract and we wish him well."

In a GQ interview earlier this year, Stone's partner, Trey Parker, said, "To be honest, what kept us from [parodying Scientology] before was Isaac Hayes. We knew he is a Scientologist and he's an awesome guy. We were like, 'Let's just avoid that for now.' ... Finally, we just had to tell Isaac, 'Dude, we totally love working with you and this is nothing personal, it's just we're "South Park," and if we don't do this, we're belittling everything else we've ripped on.' "

The "Trapped" episode is slated to air again at 10 p.m. Wednesday on Comedy Central. The 10th season of "South Park" begins March 22.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/152...headlines=true
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

Bummer about that, and I can't wait to see the episode.

Sprite
    "I call it reveling in natures finest element. Water in its pristine form. Straight from the heavens. We bathe in it, rejoicing in the fullest." --BZ

What a douche, I watched that episode today (thanks torrentspy) and it was clutch

No worries, not a done deal yet...I feel they will all kiss and make up (or out)...

Chef's voice has been a cornerstone.

peace,
    D.
    "There's a truth that sanity denies...." --Sprung Monkey

No great loss...except for any respect I might have had for Hayes.

It seems wierd to me that this is happening now when that episode aired a while ago. I wonder what made him decide to leave now. Whatever the reason, all that it is doing is drawing attention to the start of the new season.

Quote Originally Posted by babel
    I wonder what made him decide to leave now.
    I'm guessing constant abusive pressure from his scientologist overlords.
    Elvis has left the building

flame away.
    i dont know how you guys can actually watch that shit.

I won't flame, I'll merely assert that you do not have the capacity to understand the satire.

he quit cause they made fun of scientology, thats weak. its ok for them to make fun of jews, christians and other religions but not the great scientology? scientology is for brainwashed robots like tom cruise. tom cruises brain is a micro chip.

R. Kelly: [singing] If Tom Cruise and John Travolta don't come out of the closet I'm gonna cap this bitch!

President of Scientology: You are so sued.

sorry to see Chef and his chocolate salty balls go.

adam is offline The Shred Pirate Roberts
    Chef was the shit. He gave the show a feel of style and groove. Goodbye, Chef.

Two tablespoon's of cinnamon,
    and two or three egg whites.
    A half a stick of butter?. Melted?
    stick it all in a bowl baby.
    Stir it with a wooden spoon.
    Mix in a cup of flour,
    you'll be in heaven soon.

Say everybody have you seen my balls
    they're big and salty and brown.
    If you ever need a quick pick me up
    just stick my balls in your mouth.

Oooo suck on my chocolate salted balls
    stick em in your mouth, and suck em!
    Suck on my chocolate salted balls,
    they're packed full of vitamins, and good for you.
    So suck on my balls.

Quarter cup of unsweeten chocolate,
    and a half a cup of brandy.
    You throw in a bag or two of sugar
    and just a pinch of vanilla.
    Grease up the cookie sheet.
    Cause I hate when my balls stick.
    Then preheat the oven to three fifty
    and give that spoon a lick?

Say everybody have you seen my balls
    they're big and salty and brown.
    If you ever need a quick pick me up
    just stick my balls in your mouth.

Suck on my chocolate salted balls.
    Put em in your mouth, and suck em!
    there packed full of goodness, high on fiber.
    Suck on my balls.

[sniff, sniff, sniff]
    Hey, wait a minute.
    What's that smell.
    Smell like something burning.
    Well that don't confront me none.
    Long as I get my rent paid on Friday.
    Baby you better get back in the kitchen.
    Cause I got a sneak'n suspicion.
    Oh man baby, baby!
    You just burned my balls!
    Help me, my balls on fire
    ????? baby
    my balls are burning
    give me some water!
    Pour some water on me!
    my balls are burning
    oh my goodness,
    I'm blow'n
    I'm blow'n
    do somethin

Oooo Suck on my chocolate salted balls.
    Put em in your mouth, and suck em!
    They'r on fire baby!
    put em out baby, blow
    ohh
    Suck on my balls baby
    Suck on my balls baby
    Suck on my, red hot, salted, chocolate balls
    come on baby
    woo, woo
    suck on my balls.

If this is true?

Isaac Hayes = Ass clown

Isaac was awesome as chef but his religion is retarded, and I am generally very tolerant of other beliefs.

The show as a whole is just getting old though. I rarely watch anymore, it is stale and I wouldn't be suprised if it is done in a season or two.
    I'm in a band. It's called "Just the Tip."

Second star to the right and straight on till morning
    Silly scientologists.

I saw R. Kelly on Conan or Letterman with the promo for his "opera." I laughed my ass off and laughed even harder when Trey and Matt made fun of it.

That's what those guys do--they make fun of people. Isaac should be well aware of this after 9 freaking years and shouldn't take it too personally. Oh well... 'Twill be interesting to see who they replace him with (if they do).
    Days on snow 06-07: 3
    Days behind a boat summer 2006: 24

"Coming here and asking whether you need wider skis is like turning up at the Neverland Ranch and asking Michael if he'd like to come to Tampa with the kids" -bad roo.

I bet they kill off chef and bring in a replacement.
    I'm in a band. It's called "Just the Tip."

Q:
    Quote Originally Posted by pointedem
    i dont know how you guys can actually watch that shit.
    A:
    uhhhh....I like to watch funny television shows.

you left out the best part
    "This is 100 percent having to do with his faith of Scientology... He has no problem — and he's cashed plenty of checks — with our show making fun of Christians."
    "South Park" co-creator Matt Stone

I wonder if it has anything to do with the article in the new Rolling Stone that pretty much breaks scientology down and exposes it for the bullshit cult that it is. Might just be one facet of the "counter-attack" from those freaks.

"I want to get into religion. That's where the real money is."

L. Ron Hubbard

but what they're right?

Sack up those salty balls, Chef.
    Just say no to the cult.

-------------------------------
    http://www.avclub.com/content/node/44132/2

AVC: Do you ever challenge Trey Parker and Matt Stone on what they're trying to say with South Park?

Isaac Hayes: Well, when I did "Chocolate Salty Balls," I asked them, "Are you sure you want to do this stuff, man?" But then I looked into the studio and saw the whole crew in there cracking up. I said, "Shit, they might have something." So I went on and did it, and I'm glad I did, because it was such a huge hit. In fact, when it was out in England during the Christmas holidays, I aced… who were those girls who were so hot then?

AVC: The Spice Girls?

Isaac Hayes: Exactly. I aced them for the number-one spot. [Laughs.]

AVC: There's some pretty harsh satire on South Park. They don't really care who they offend.

Isaac Hayes: But that's their thing! They're success was built on that cutting-edge stuff. I've had to defend them a lot of times. One time on BET Tonight I defended them because Tavis Smiley, the host on that show, was coming at me. It was a call-in show, too, so people were calling in. I told them not to take this stuff seriously. If you do, you'll get in trouble. Just enjoy it. Remember your high-school yearbook? You look at those pictures now, you laugh, right? That's what South Park is. You got to laugh at it. Because we cursed, but we just didn't dare let the principals, the teachers, or the preachers hear it. And we didn't turn out bad, okay? Just look at it that way. Also, usually there's some kind of moral message at the end for the kids, by the Chef.

AVC: They did just do an episode that made fun of your religion, Scientology. Did that bother you?

Isaac Hayes: Well, I talked to Matt and Trey about that. They didn't let me know until it was done. I said, "Guys, you have it all wrong. We're not like that. I know that's your thing, but get your information correct, because somebody might believe that shit, you know?" But I understand what they're doing. I told them to take a couple of Scientology courses, and understand what we do. [Laughs.]
    Last edited by Core Shot; 03-14-2006 at 10:08 AM.
    . . .

BLOODSWEATSTEEL Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by truth
    No great loss...except for any respect I might have had for Hayes.

...Truth.

What, did he just watch the show for the first time?
    More gauze pads, please hurry!