LCD screen damaged by cold weather?

I have an inexpensive flash-based MP3 player that I got for skiing, and finally got around to using it this weekend with Giro Tune-ups (which work really well, FYI). Temps were 5-15 degrees. Player was in my pack on the first day, no problems, and was in my jacket for the second (colder) day. At the end of the second day, the LCD screen on the MP3 player had developed a big blotch across the middle, such that 80% of the display was no longer legible. After warming it back up inside, overnight, the screen is still 80% gone. Player works fine -- just can't see anything on the screen. I'm returning it for another one.

Anyone have this happen with any LCD device in very cold weather? I'm glad it was a cheap MP3 player, under warranty, rather than my camera. I would've thought that it would remain warm enough inside my jacket, but maybe not.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Happened to my ipod, I dont know for sure if it was from the cold weather, but I think it was since the only other thing that could have damaged it was a tree branch I snagged earlier that day...but I dont think that was it. Thankfully apple warrantied it. When you get yours warrantied/returned just buy a case and keep it on the inside of your jacket.

Cold temps and barometric pressure can destroy LCDs, no doubt.

I'd agree, keep the iPod in your jacket...you'll get more battery life and playback out of it too, the warmer you keep it.

yes liquid crystal displays, actually do have a very thin layer of liquid in them which can freeze expand and crack the case. In general you do not want to have any general purpose electronics out in cold temps, electrolytic capacitors can freeze and crack batteries esp lithium ion do really bad etc, just keep it in an inner pocket of your coat and you should be fine..

Pick up a Shuffle before they finally stop making them - they're going for $65 street, and maybe cheaper on E Bay. I have 2, maybe 3 soon. No screen to fuck up like this, and also suck up battery life. Stupid simple, but I guess too simple for the marketplace, which always wants more than they need.
    Keep the I Pod away from the elements.

The specs (in the manual) should list the temperature ranges (storage and operating) for your gizmo. For my iPod Nano it's -20C - +45C (storage) and 0C - +35C (operating). The Shuffle has the same range. Kind of lame but that's the way it is.

(There's also an altitude limit -- 10,000' or 3,000m.)
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

this just happened with my Canon S400 digi cam. fackin pissed.

was out in colorado last month and it was brutal cold the first few days. snapped some pics at abasin after making some laps with lemon boy and headed to the 'boat. pulled it out the next day and it had the black blob on the screen. i did some searching and it seems canon p&s have this common problem. being the cheap bastard that i am, i'm thinking about ordering the part and fixing it myself for around $50 supposedly.

trying to figure out what cam to upgrade to...

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Dog
    The Shuffle has the same range. Kind of lame but that's the way it is.

the Shuffle has no screen