Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Show me yer workbench!

I'm just finishing up an addition that will soon be where my stix get their tune on. I've been contemplating what sort of bench I should build. The Show me your box thread gave me a few ideas, but I need more! Looking for something to tune on and such, with some storage underneath.

Post'em up YAAARRRRR

FOS- mine is in there

here are some pics of my tuning blocks/tiedowns (I use sandpaper but was roundly criticised for it by pussies who're afraid their topsheets will get scratched):

IMVHO some important design elements for a good workbench are:

Deep, long and waist high. (slow pitch) Mine's a full sheet of plywood which is IMVHO a nice size. It is made with a 2x4 frame under the plywood and sits on 4x4 legs, I am not a gifted carpenter thus it is not pretty but it seems to be holding up. Have big storage shelves so no smaller storage shelves underneath, just big bulky stuff. I'm lazy and frequently screw things (like my tuning blocks) right into the top so the plywood's easy to replace when the time comes.
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

bump for FoS
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

Did you get the plans I sent you? You never responded to my email.
    "Can't vouch for him, though he seems normal via email."

I'll show you mine

mine is just an old Ikea table with a 1" thk piece of sub floor attached to the bottom of the table top and another piece between the back legs. Probably more than doubled the weight which is a good thing.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

on the pointy end, calling the line, swearing my fucking ass off
    Quote Originally Posted by lemon boy
    FOS- mine is in there

here are some pics of my tuning blocks/tiedowns (I use sandpaper but was roundly criticised for it by pussies who're afraid their topsheets will get scratched)
    I was thinking about building blocks but my thought would be thin rubber as the surface on work blocks.
    They'd grab on skis (atleast on the topsheets) and work well.

Quote Originally Posted by likwid
    I was thinking about building blocks but my thought would be thin rubber as the surface on work blocks.
    They'd grab on skis (atleast on the topsheets) and work well.
    I just use wood blocks depending on ski and rubber if between sizes, this pic should show it better
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

old threat but interested to see what some of the new custom homemade benches/clamps look like, just built my bench but need ideas on the vise/clamps...thanks guys

i dont have any pics, but my vise is a piece of plywood, cut to the shape of my boot sole. screw this into a 4X4, and another piece of plywood on the bottum so i have somewhere to clamp. a couple of tool boxes or whatever is lying around to support the tip and tail, and i'm set
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

Nice, the only problem I am running into is that I want a universal set up on my bench. Cause I have always tuned my friends skis and each of us have different sized soles. But I have a good idea of what to build, but just wanted to get some ideas so I dont have to rebuild if I see something better.

My First Attempt

This is what I put together. Simple, cheap, seems to be functional..

I made it so I could easily screw and unscrew the blocks from the main board to deal with m wife's skis and mine.

The black rubber is from an old bike tube and seems to work great.

I use it on 2 saw horses but didn't feel like setting them up so just threw it on this table.

The original plan was to drill a large hole in the board in the middle and run a bungee/strap to hold the binding down

But the 4 or 5 times I have done some tuning I haven't needed it. Just basic wax and edges. I haven't done any PTEX repairs so might need it it to be a little tighter for the scraping but we will see....

Pruitt, I dont no if you attached a picture but it didnt show. The bike tire is a good idea for traction, but other any sand paper which I have seen in some other posts, any other ideas? Also, other any paying for boot heaters, any home made contraptions work??? Money is tight right now and I finally have room for my own bench and I wanna do it right

I been using a black and decker workmate with some sawhorses to prop up the ends of the skis which has been ok for waxing but I need something better for tuning

I also got my park shop stand bolted to some 2x4 and the B&D table , the combo can hold up any size bike and also give you a little work bench

bump for my pics....not sure why they weren't showing up before

Quote Originally Posted by Bogyson View Post
    The bike tire is a good idea for traction, but other any sand paper which I have seen in some other posts, any other ideas? Also, other any paying for boot heaters, any home made contraptions work???
    I have a similar set up and I use some silicone caulking as friction, got the idea from another post here. I also know there's a thread somewhere around here about using a bathroom fan and a plywood box to make a boot dryer. Good luck.

Edit: found the thread
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ght=boot+dryer
    Last edited by geomorph; 11-04-2009 at 08:15 AM. Reason: found link

Cool

this is two steps from my ski bench

watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by lemon boy View Post
    I use sandpaper but was roundly criticised for it by pussies who're afraid their topsheets will get scratched):
    i know this is 3 years old by now, but Id have seriously found something better than sandpaper. Its not very grippy all things considered.
    You can usually buy a cheap router mat from places for a few bucks, then hack it to fit. Would be way better and super durable and last much longer than sandpaper.

Nice nice, I used 2"x4" three in squared stacked 4 high, but the top two spaced a little for my edges. I just found some old saw hour legs and a old table, little glue and nails with a little drawer liner

here's mine. http://skitracks.wordpress.com/2010/...-tuning-bench/
    cheap, easy, and effective.

Quote Originally Posted by schralpenglow View Post
    here's mine. http://skitracks.wordpress.com/2010/...-tuning-bench/
    cheap, easy, and effective.
    that doug combs ski tuning video is awesome!
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Shit, wish I had pics of my portable jobber I made last year. Rolling base, foldout legs, top rail extensions, ski man vises and two lockable drawers to keep all your shit in.

I'll post pics when I get back up to see it, or find a pic somewhere of it.
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    this is two steps from my ski bench

This makes my cry its sooo beautiful....

I built my bench a year or so ago in the half of our basement that has become mine. Although my budget was small I wanted to put something together with adequate lighting and power sources, plenty of storage space, and the capability to hold both skis and bikes... here's what I came up with:

and although I can't compete with ScottyB's incredible monstrosity of a kegerator, I DO have a couple of taps within an arm's reach of my bench...

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post

How is the bike held up? I can't tell how the PVC contraption is anchored to the bench.
    another Handsome Boy graduate

Quote Originally Posted by Platinum Pete View Post
    How is the bike held up? I can't tell how the PVC contraption is anchored to the bench.
    In searching for a DIY home bike stand I came across this:

http://www.instructables.com/id/PVC-...-Repair-Stand/

which I built and have been super happy with, it hardly cost anything to put together and has held up great!

As you can see, the rear T is screwed into the bench and held on by two C clamps, the front is held down by gravity. I've used the same screw holes and taken mine on and off the bench many times without any issues.