Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The Olympics are stupid

Here we go, and just a short time after the incredibly stupid Super Bowl. All the stupid people who went deeper into debt to buy a $6000 TV set will be watching Costas say stupid things about anything, 24/7. Like those wonderful in depth looks at the athlete's lives in between the commercials. Stupid. Krist, just yesterday I looked up at the gym and saw some speed skater telling the world she was abused as a child. I don't give a fuck. Shut up and skate, and go home.
    But what really gets my goat is the fact that they just announced that baseball, BASEBALL, will no longer be an Olympic sport. uhhhh....boardercross, synchronized swimming, even friggin' stupid ass figure skating is OK, but the second most popular sport in the western hemisphere and most in Japan isn't good enough to line the pockets of the stupid, corrupt Olympic gods. Idiots.
    Bode is right - it's only another stupid race.

end of rant.

Talking

The olympics are way stupider here than in Norway since they never show anything live here. Downhill on tape delay 13 hours after the real race is probably stupidest of it all. I'm starting my own spoiler threads here tomorrow.
    Last edited by runethechamp; 02-10-2006 at 10:26 AM.
    You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.

Quote Originally Posted by runethechamp
    The olympics are way spider her than in Norway ...
    I concur. Whatever that means -- I want to way spider her too.

I love the Olys. Summer, winter, you name it. They're awesome. NBC's coverage sometimes leaves a little to be desired, but the competitions themselves are great. Any athlete who makes it to the Olympics is incredible in my book.

Despite the befuddling spiderness of her, I will be watching the Olympics. Even shitty coverage is better than none.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster
    Despite the befuddling spiderness of her, I will be watching the Olympics. Even shitty coverage is better than none.
    That was the probably the worst typing I've ever done.
    You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD
    I love the Olys. Summer, winter, you name it. They're awesome. NBC's coverage sometimes leaves a little to be desired, but the competitions themselves are great. Any athlete who makes it to the Olympics is incredible in my book.

Let's just say it - NBC's coverage sucks donkey balls.
    "Steve McQueen's got nothing on me" - Clutch

Quote Originally Posted by Mcwop
    Let's just say it - NBC's coverage sucks donkey balls.
    Correct.

I only have two good words: Ice Hockey

Although, it looks like NBC has managed to screw that one up by not showing the Bronze and Gold Medal games live for those on MT and PT.
    Avoiding the real world since 1979

Quote Originally Posted by Bum Z
    Although, it looks like NBC has managed to screw that one up by not showing the Bronze and Gold Medal games live for those on MT and PT.
    Damn, is that true?? If so, very weak.

I think we should all agree that any threads involving Olympic results should have "Spoiler Alert" or something in the Title. i will be TiVOing most of the stuff I'm interested in, and would like to avoid any foreknowledge of the event if possible.

Also please, don't use titles Like "Bode is the Downhill king" or whatever, if you please.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane
    But what really gets my goat is the fact that they just announced that baseball, BASEBALL, will no longer be an Olympic sport. uhhhh....boardercross, synchronized swimming, even friggin' stupid ass figure skating is OK, but the second most popular sport in the western hemisphere and most in Japan isn't good enough to line the pockets of the stupid, corrupt Olympic gods. Idiots.
    Wait, am I confused, or are you saying you like baseball? That's gay. What is America's and other countries' obession with playing with balls.

All judged events need to go away. Every stinkin' one.

Citius, Altius, Fortius - faster, higher, stronger - is the Olympic Motto. Nowhere does it say "cooler."

Anyone know of any websites that will post video of events? I'm thinking that there probably aren't any US sites since NBC has the market cornered, but I'm thinking there are hundreds of countries with olympic broadcasting contracts, and some of them might post online. Or maybe there'll be a good bittorrent site with uploads from tivos abroad...

Citius, Altius, Fortius - faster, higher, stronger - is the Olympic Motto. Nowhere does it say "cooler."
    Fuck that. I will be watching the mens mogul final Wednesday night for sure. The rest of them I could do with out, but I can watch good bump skiers all day.
    I'm in a band. It's called "Just the Tip."

Quote Originally Posted by Powdurr
    Wait, am I confused, or are you saying you like baseball? That's gay. What is America's and other countries' obession with playing with balls.

Dude, I've been playing with my balls since I was 9. What's your problem? Don't have any?

The Olympics are great. If NBC gets off their soapbox of telling all of the sad stories and just show the events, it would be even better.

actually just figure skating and ice dancing moguls is pretty sweet
    Last edited by ak_powder_monkey; 02-10-2006 at 02:58 PM.
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

i'm with bode on the olympics
    overcommercialized, overdrugged, overhyped, bad coverage
    still respect to the athletes
    i'd rather see the extremes than the olympics
    if i was handed free tickets to torino, i'd use the free airfare, sell the olympics tickets, and tour around italy
    i love italy
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by PASucks
    Fuck that. I will be watching the mens mogul final Wednesday night for sure. The rest of them I could do with out, but I can watch good bump skiers all day.
    Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey
    actually just figure skating and ice dancing moguls is pretty sweet
    Two words: Dinner roll. Like him or not, Moseley changed the world of Mogul Skiing that day, skied almost as fast and every bit as clean as the rest of the field, and didn't even make the podium. Fuck judged events.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit
    i'm with bode on the olympics
    overcommercialized, overdrugged, overhyped, bad coverage
    still respect to the athletes
    i'd rather see the extremes than the olympics
    if i was handed free tickets to torino, i'd use the free airfare, sell the olympics tickets, and tour around italy
    i love italy
    If Bode had some real balls, he'd put some action behind some of his whining and not go.

Or actually win a medal.

The problem with the "pure" events where it's just you against the clock is you've got no one to blame except yourself when you're slow. Trust me, I know!

Watching the ski and snowboard events is fine with me. Beats most of the crap on TV.
    Every man dies. Not every man lives.
    You don’t stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

THe only thing that bugs me about the Olympics is the way sponsorship works.

During the Athens Olympics, spectators stood a chance of being refused admission to events if they were carrying food or drinks made by companies that did not see fit to sponsor the games. And a person couldn't buy a ticket with any credit card other than Visa

I see the Olympics as a contest that's evolved into a symbol of peace. The games have motivated the world, and made us realize that we are all connected.

and something as simple as the food or drink a spectator chooses to consume is enough to get said spectator kicked out.

McDonalds and Coke were official sponsors of Athens. I don't believe they can even pretend to stand for a single things the games represent.
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

Two words: Dinner roll. Like him or not, Moseley changed the world of Mogul Skiing that day, skied almost as fast and every bit as clean as the rest of the field, and didn't even make the podium. Fuck judged events.
    A lot of this could be avoided if the olympics went to duel format.

USA today picked Bloom to take the bronze and Lathella (sp?) to take the silver. Thats bull. Unless his skiing has considerably improved since last year, he should have just retired.
    I'm in a band. It's called "Just the Tip."