Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane
    get back to work at media giant central, asshole. or, of course, this is work to you.
    Are you talkin' to him, me, or someone else? I'm confused....and I for one love potatoes. Especially pinkie toes.

" The humble potato, that simplest and cheapest of vegetables, deservedly ranks high among our most beloved foods. World-renown for its versatility, the potato is flavorful, low in calories, and excellent in nutritional value. Although we may associate the potato with Idaho or Ireland, the vegetable's actual origin is in the highlands of the Andes in South America.

I've had a lifelong fascination with the potato, which has certainly led to some memorable dining experiences. But it was in Peru that I discovered the height of potato cookery.

The distinctive cuisine of Peru is considered the best and most exciting in South America by knowledgeable gourmets. It dates back to pre-Inca times when Indians created original dishes using their many varieties of potatoes, corn, beans, root vegetables, squash, peppers, and tropical fruits--all still staple foods in the area.

Today, Peru's cocina Criolla, or Creole cuisine, is a blend of Indian, African, and Spanish heritages noted for its subtle and creative combination of ingredients. Spices, herbs, and piquant sauces play an important role.

Authentic Peruvian seasoning still used in potato dishes include annatto (achiote), reddish-brown seeds of a tropical tree that impart a pungent yet light flavor and deep golden-orange color; huacatay, the dried leaves of an herb of the marigold family that gives a powerful aroma to sauces; and palillo, known as Peruvian saffron, an herb, used dried and ground, that turns the food bright yellow but adds no ... "
    Last edited by rideit; 02-05-2006 at 11:42 PM.

hopefully by now this thread is dead, but damnnnn gina, if for some reason it continues i hope it's a little more cool, calm, and collected. went to stowe on thursday, before the rain and clouds rolled in...hiked the chin and came down hourglass then proceeded to some lesser known areas...needless to say, my buddy and i spent a good portion of our time doing the falling leaf on the way down, hopping over usually covered pines, swatting brush, and picking twigs from our boots before finally reaching the chute we were looking for - this stuff is normally totally covered, but on that day, they were easily 3-4 feet exposed. in the chute coverage was fine and we could actually make turns. in the event that our fat asses broke through the top crust layer, we wondered if our ACL and MCL would break as well. needless to say, out of the 234 turns made in the chute, 7.5 of them created face shots. by face shots i mean if i was gary coleman, my chin would receive a flake or two.

BUT we expected it to be that way and really we just wanted to do some recon to see how things were doing out towards the notch. while we were bummed that stuff that we could normally make big turns and carry speed throughout were less than average, we couldn't help but laugh. i mean, what can you do. if there's snow, we'll be in the woods, if the season is like it has been, it's a good opportunity to become a temporary park rat. a few other things we ECers might consider doing in order to keep spirits high:

-look at pictures of past pow days. some might say it's depressing when weather's crappy, but it reminds us that the east is still worthy...unless the pics are from the west, in which case it's like looking at your ex-girlfriend's picture, knowing that some other dude is hooking up with her.

-set boobie traps up outside of your housemates' bedroom doors. instead of looking at weather.com all day, brainstorm new ways to torment the people you live with, it's always fun.

-drink heavily. no need to explain.

those are just a few. on a more relevant note, we're (skijunky, snowrider, and some others) are trying to finish our third jackson vid. we're just waiting for our sponsorship from red bull, PS2, target, and KKD. bahhh yeah right.

or this - better stuff

LAst I checked...JFK to DIA.....108$ each way.
    JET BLUE baby.....get on that shit...an get AFTER IT.
    hhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaa......HHHHHHHHHHHHaaaaaaaaaa a....
    I bet that Mt Mansfield is skied out Knar..I still love the Shed though....burgars and BEERS.
    Last edited by jpcmoriarty; 02-06-2006 at 01:19 AM.

It's not about money for some of us...it's about family.

Bitch.

Sprite

Quote Originally Posted by Villiage Idiot
    i love hearing all you east coast douchebags crying about the conditions.

move out west and ski if you really like to ski.

the only reason you're in the east is selling your self out for money is more important to you.

shut the fuck up already you whiny bitches.
    "I call it reveling in natures finest element. Water in its pristine form. Straight from the heavens. We bathe in it, rejoicing in the fullest." --BZ

Train...I was at K yesterday. Did you actually go into any woods?

Do you know stormchaser-K? He blew his ACL out on Saturday. Season over...but the man did have an epic season so kudos and speedy healing to him!

Sprite
    "I call it reveling in natures finest element. Water in its pristine form. Straight from the heavens. We bathe in it, rejoicing in the fullest." --BZ

Quote Originally Posted by DaveTV
    I'm holding my breath until it starts to snow in BTV.
    "Wound up? I'm just pumped. I'm excited. You know: rock-solid, ready to go. A little bit paranoid but I'm feeling really, really good. You know?"

not that it really matters...

But how are we stacking up against last year's PNW disaster? Too lazy to search... they didn't get snow until the end of March, right?
    You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness, and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer.

I don't know how we are stacking up against that. But my worry is that states who's entire economies depend on winter and fall tourism are getting slammed. I mean, there was no foliage season this year due to rain (for four weeks). And while Oregon and Washington have other industries to fuel the economy, tourism is number 1 for VT, NH and ME. And by all reports, they are hurting.

Also, I was skiing on Washington in October, it's just strange that there was better coverage then than in the beginning in Feb. I mean, what a freaking tease.

I'm pretty sure dairy farming is #1 in Vermont. And they could give a rat's ass about skiing.

True, farming is huge (number 1 in the state). But I don't think you can completely discount the effect of tourism on the region's economy. Vermont especially has done a lot of work to attract visitors (I mean, they do have the best rest areas in the country, complete with local woodworkers wares, free Green Mountain Coffee, and buildings that make out of staters feel ashamed).

But I would also say that Vermont is more dependent on tourism than Oregon or Washington, and I'm pretty sure they do give arats ass about it.

This is from wikipedia:

Tourism is the state's largest industry. In the winter world famous ski resorts like Stowe, Killington, Stratton Jay and Okemo draw skiers from around the globe, although their largest markets are Boston, Montreal and the New York metropolitan area. In the summer resort towns like Stowe, Manchester and Woodstock draw visitors looking for a mountain vacation. Resorts, hotels, restaurants, shops and attractions employ many people year-round.
    Last edited by MassLiberal; 02-06-2006 at 11:11 AM.

Sure, agreed. A town like Manchester pretty much totally depends on the Lexus aliens from the south and east.

I just meant the Dairy farmers themselves could be giving the rat's ass. They're just liking the warm temps. Imagine dealing with 100 cows at 20 below.
    Last edited by Benny Profane; 02-06-2006 at 11:10 AM.

A town like Manchester pretty much totally depends on the Lexus aliens from the south and eas
    That's the best way I've heard it described in years. Hats off to you sir!

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane
    I'm pretty sure dairy farming is #1 in Vermont. And they could give a rat's ass about skiing.
    I believe it is tourisim. The busy season is summer....

enough stoopid bullshit.

It is snowing in N. VT right now.

Here's to hoping that winter is finally going to make an appearance.
    fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by Highway Star
    You should be nicer to Benny, that was pretty rude.
    Just wanted to record this before it was deleted..