I've had minor knee pain for about a year

My problem started a little over a year ago. I started to have some minor to considerable pain in my right knee after a day of skiing. I started to ski with a pathetic neoprene velcro strap brace I got from a pharmacy, but that doesnt seem to do much of anything. The pain in on the outside of my right knee, right next to the joint. Sometimes it migrates to the back side of my knee (only when I ski hard or in deep snow or tight trees). I haven't gotten checked out by a doctor or anything, so I don't really know how bad it really is. It went away after last ski season, so I thought I was in the clear. I rode my bike about a hour everyday over the summer, which I thought would strengthen the muscle around my knee so I wouldn't have this problem again. But know after skiing on it for three months, the pain is back in full force. On a pain scale of 10 it is only about 2 or 3 depending on how hard I ski the day before. There isn't much swelling, none at all really, but the pain is usually there. I think I need a new brace, but don't really know where to get a more substantial brace in town. All the places I've looked just had braces similar to the one I have already. Just wondering if you guys have any suggestions for me, brace-wise or exercises/doctors I should look into.

do you have custom footbeds?
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

as a guess i would vote either meniscus tear or possible IT band friction. With my money being on meniscus.

If I were you and had knee pain for over a year and did not know what it was, I would get it checked by an ortho.
    fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com

How much does a trip to an ortho cost?

how much is having a knee that doesn't hurt anymore worth?

WhiteRoom Skis

I know it's worth it, but I just wanted to know a price range of an average trip to the ortho. Anybody have some figures?

unfortunately, i really don't know what an ortho would charge for an office visit. If you call maybe they would tell you how much?????

WhiteRoom Skis

Thanks Vinman, I appreciate your help. I'm just really bumbed out about missing the rest of this season. The snow is to good this season!

safety- i get the same thing. sooner or later you are going to sprain in badly, and it'll swell up huge (happens to me atleast 1 or 2 times per season)

try stretching your legs and back EVERDAY for ATLEAST 30mins when you wake up and 30mins before bed. helps me alot.

basically i was told (4 years ago) that either i get surgery, miss a season, or take care of it and it'll be a minor thing... though eventually i am sure it'll go big
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Thanks Marshal, sounds like the same thing. I think I just went through my spraining it phase. First time it's actually happened this bad though, so I'm kinda worried. I think I may get it checked out just to make sure I'm not hurting myself worse than I think. And you are probably right about the stretching thing. I'm the most inflexible person in the world, which makes stretching hard, painfull, a chore, pain in the ass, etc. I know I need to start doing it but I am terrible about making myself do things I don't like. Thanks again for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by SafteySquad
    Thanks Marshal, sounds like the same thing. I think I just went through my spraining it phase. First time it's actually happened this bad though, so I'm kinda worried. I think I may get it checked out just to make sure I'm not hurting myself worse than I think. And you are probably right about the stretching thing. I'm the most inflexible person in the world, which makes stretching hard, painfull, a chore, pain in the ass, etc. I know I need to start doing it but I am terrible about making myself do things I don't like. Thanks again for the input.
    dude, strech. it sucks ass at first, but will really help with skiing and biking etc... as well...
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson

try stretching your legs and back EVERDAY for ATLEAST 30mins when you wake up and 30mins before bed. helps me alot.

Stretch! My knee was effed for a good 8 mos and I finally went to physio, she established that the problem is that I'm so retardedly unflexible! I stretch all the time now and the knee probs are all over.
    Believe.

wow, that sounds like exactly what is wrong with me. I can't even sit on the ground with my torso upright and my legs out straight (i.e. 90 degree angle) without it hurting like hell. What kinds of stretches worked best for you? My problems are in my back and my legs. For some reason, my upper body is pretty flexible but my lower body is terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by SafteySquad
    wow, that sounds like exactly what is wrong with me. I can't even sit on the ground with my torso upright and my legs out straight (i.e. 90 degree angle) without it hurting like hell. What kinds of stretches worked best for you? My problems are in my back and my legs. For some reason, my upper body is pretty flexible but my lower body is terrible.
    Okay, starting with my favorites, here we go:

Lie on your back with your legs outstretched up a wall. It's akward to get into the position, but try and lie there for as long as possible. I normally do it while reading or watching tv (upside down.) You may notice a tingling sensation, and if that is the case, it isn't that your blood isn't circulating, it's that you're stretching your nerves, so you'll need to keep your knees a bit bent if that happens and keep working at it until you can do it with your legs straight.

Another good one is to sit with your legs out in front of you, bring one knee to your chest, and pointing your toes of your outstretched leg toward the ceiling, and holding onto the bent leg, lift the outstretched leg about an inch off the ground, hold it for a few seconds, then bring it back down. Do 20 good ones per leg per day.

Also, when doing your usual quad stretch (where you're standing and holding your foot up behind you), instead put that foot on a table, and use a chair to support yourself, this means you have the ability to stretch the muscle a lot more than when your hand is holding that foot directly behind your body.

You can do a hurdler stretch:

Lower back pain is often caused by tight hamstrings, so the hurdler stretch is great for that one. The other ones I know are a bit complicated to explain, but these should get you started- joining yoga would also be a good idea.
    Believe.

Awsome! Thanks a lot bigtrubs. I'm gonna actually go stretch right now. Thanks again

Yoga. Works wonders for flexibility. Can be some nice scenery as well.