Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
    Quote Originally Posted by dwags222 View Post
    i can't remember where, but i do remember reading some article about this guy who planned on trying to break 300 ft. he said his technique was to purposely front flip, lawn dart style, and then flip it around near the end and back stomp it.
    Your thinking of Julian Carr. Supposedly he has been scoping out a 300 footer called Vision Cliff somewhere in the Tetons. There was a article about it in Outside Magazine a few months ago. It sounded like he's going for it this season if conditions permit. His logic for the front flip sounds logical.

Here's a link to the article: http://outside.away.com/outside/cult...liff-jump.html

Doesn't count if you don't stomp it in my book. I can put on some skis and fall head-first off a cliff as well as anyone. I'd probably even survive once or twice. The dude who hit the 300 footer by accident at least went into the snow feet first.

Quote Originally Posted by jmf View Post
    Doesn't count if you don't stomp it in my book. I can put on some skis and fall head-first off a cliff as well as anyone. I'd probably even survive once or twice. The dude who hit the 300 footer by accident at least went into the snow feet first.
    Welcome to the conversation... 3 years late...
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Thank you for that very original and insightful comment.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Welcome to the conversation... 3 years late...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Thank you for that very original and insightful comment.
    You can both suck my balls.

http://outside.away.com/outside/cult...liff-jump.html

I don't care what Julian Carr thinks, the new record was set at 350ft. Even though the dude did not set out to break any records, he intentionaly sent it off that cliff knowing if he didn't clear the rocks below, he had no chance of surviving. The presence of mind in the moment, without intention, but having to react on instinct is WAY more impressive than someone who intentionaly hucks a death defying cliff just to set a record that nobody really cares about in the 1st place.

Lift lines!

Great Scott man, Ya can't get hurt in the air. " sir .)
    "I, the undersigned,
    shall forfeit all rights, privileges, and licenses herein
    and herein contained, et cetera, et cetera . . . fax mentis
    incendium gloria culpum, et cetera, et cetera . . . memo bis
    punitor delicatum!" It's all there, black and white, clear
    as crystal! You stole Fizzy Lifting Drinks. You bumped
    into the ceiling which now has to be washed and sterilized,
    so you get nothing! You lose! Good day, sir!

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    I don't care what Julian Carr thinks, the new record was set at 350ft. Even though the dude did not set out to break any records, he intentionaly sent it off that cliff knowing if he didn't clear the rocks below, he had no chance of surviving. The presence of mind in the moment, without intention, but having to react on instinct is WAY more impressive than someone who intentionaly hucks a death defying cliff just to set a record that nobody really cares about in the 1st place.
    I don't think the Norwegian guy's "jump" was intentional. That wasn't his original line. He read the terrain wrong, found himself there while hauling ass, realized there was no return, and then decided to just tuck and send it. You can see it all in video. You can tell he freaks out as he realizes where he is but then he brings it back together last moment just before leaving the planet behind.
    eating and sleeping is serious business

Plenty of people have survived 300ft+ falls into snow, that guy wasn't the first, and if none of those other people's falls count as records, neither does his.

He is also not claiming it as a world record.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Completely disagree. I can guarantee that sending something on purpose satisfies self accomplishment while accidentally falling of something doesn't satisfy shit, except that your still alive. You say the guy had instincts, i say he sucks at line recognition. Being dumb about line recognition is WAY less impressive then someone who has the balls to intentionally drop something, mad props to Julian for going for 300+ this upcoming season if conditions are right.

in his interview he said he landed on his side/back. if he stomped it feet first his femurs would be up his asshole.

Quote Originally Posted by alma del polvo View Post
    in his interview he said he landed on his side/back. if he stomped it feet first his femurs would be up his asshole.
    Right side up still takes the points..

Bump!

1) for greatness

and

2) the costs of greatness.

Avalanches claimed more in JH. Sad to hear.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by skiing-in-jackson View Post
    Bump!

1) for greatness

and

2) the costs of greatness.

Avalanches claimed more in JH. Sad to hear.
    I can condone this bump wholeheartedly.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinalTap View Post
    I'm really troubled by whatever pictures the Don had to search through to arrive at that one...