Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    I've just finished Ski lessons now it's time to have some fun off the piste like that French guy Pierre. Where is that rock??

Quote Originally Posted by patou
    I've just finished Ski lessons now it's time to have some fun off the piste like that French guy Pierre. Where is that rock??
    Bwaaahaha - pretty funny for a JONG!!

Glad he made it out alive...

Quote Originally Posted by smitchell333
    Why?????????

If I run down the middle of the interstate dodging speeding cars will you give me credit?
    I sure will . I've seen vids off people doing that going 300kmh ......it's fucking crazy and takes balls.

Post vid and I'll give you props.

Quote Originally Posted by DDsnake
    I sure will . I've seen vids off people doing that going 300kmh ......it's fucking crazy and takes balls.
    I call bullshit. Crazy people with big balls can't run 300kmh.

Quote Originally Posted by 0BernhardFranz
    This is his masterpiece.
    Every great man has a masterpiece.
    something someone can only do once, as he only once has the strength to do so !
    Van Gogh the Ressurrection,
    Messner the Everest without oxygen,
    Bach The Musical Offering.
    But this, of all, is his MASTERPIECE.
    Nothing will be like it.
    It is the top of his career.
    Noone even need to try rival it.
    They would stand the gaper trying.
    Uh... I agree 100%

Quote Originally Posted by 0BernhardFranz
    But this, of all, is his MASTERPIECE.
    Nothing will be like it.
    It is the top of his career.
    Noone even need to try rival it.
    They would stand the gaper trying.
    Bernhard, maybe you missed it, but the record may not even last a year or two. (according to slippy)

Also, you are right a helmet would not help with the decceleration injuries he is suffering to his brain. However, how do you know he has severe symptoms because of his jumps? Please enlighten us.

Story, no pics, here, but it might change shortly, judging from the non-permanent nature of the URL.
    not counting days 2016-17

Quote Originally Posted by lph
    However, how do you know he has severe symptoms because of his jumps? Please enlighten us.
    Perhaps from this article:
    Fifteen minutes later, while hiking out, Pierre had a seizure, likely due to the minor concussion he suffered on the landing. "I've averaged at least one concussion per year since the early '90s," Pierre tells me. He seldom wears a helmet: "If it's a matter of my body going instantly from terminal velocity to zero, a helmet isn't gonna help much."
    not counting days 2016-17

Quote Originally Posted by yooper
    He landed on his freakin' head! Has anyone mentioned that? I'm buddies with a total goddam moron who could probably be belittled and berated into doing that. The kicker is, he's never skied before. He could still do it. In fact, any moron with huge enough balls could steer themselves off a cliff and land on their head. That doesn't make them a good skier.

That said........ HOLY BALLS! That was pretty sweet.
    if its so fucking easy, get out there with your buddy and make it happen. shit talking on the net is easy. actually dropping it and having it on film is something else. until then... stfu
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

If he landed on his head, does that mean someone could also run and dive off of the same cliff without skis?

Or do the skis create enough drag to slow him down enough to, uh, keep him alive?
    More gauze pads, please hurry!

Quote Originally Posted by alpinedad
    Perhaps from this article:
    Bernhard was IMO implying long term symptoms, the seizure he suffered immediately after the incident does not indicate he has any chronic effects.

of course, it could be that I am misinterpreting what Bernhard said, it has happened before.

That's a great picture. I hope a high-rez well colorbalanced version of it comes out now that the pooch has been screwed.

eeek !
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by patou
    Its off the back side of Grand Targhee.

The snow has just kept coming this season and he has been scouting it for 7 years to get the right conditions. He landed on his head after flying upright for 100+ feet. He had to be dug out by a camera man. He left a 6' hole and prolly would have torpedoed head first deeper if he didn't have skis on.

IMHO, It should be the world record for an attempted cliff huck not hucks in general. How many of you are happy with a huck you can't ski away from?

Anyway, that was some big shit and props to him for being patient enough to get 'er done!!! WTG!

After seeing that pic, I am a wuss.
    Every man dies. Not every man lives.
    You don’t stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Gaper
    If he landed on his head, does that mean someone could also run and dive off of the same cliff without skis?

Or do the skis create enough drag to slow him down enough to, uh, keep him alive?
    Dr?

I would usually go to a Dr and ask similar questions!

good question! any one? any one!
    Points on their own sitting way up high

picture stilll amazing.
    must be re-posted.

One small huck for man,
    One enormous huck for mankind.

. . .

The world record for ski jumping is 239... METERS, that is about 784 ft. Set by norwegian Bjørn Einar Romøren in Planica 2005. That is of course not vertical distance, but distance from takeoff to landing.

http://www.aftenposten.no/english/sp...cle1000653.ece

Of course these are quite different accomplishments, and I am sure the impact is much greater for Pierre's vertical to full stop jump. But in terms of airtime I'm quite sure the skijumpers are still in the lead.
    All work and no play, ... you know...

Quote Originally Posted by Playa
    the imbecile landed on his fucking head people, his fucking HEAD

imagine every other ski flick you've ever seen where the landing is on their head

I think I'm going to go to church this morning, walk past the altar, go up to the bell tower and huck it on skis into the neighbor's pool to set the world record 250 ft jump and take it away from him

Pat Robertson will be so proud
    Sweet can't wait to see the pics. Or are you just a shit talking web gaper? I guess we'll find out when is it going to be?
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

Obligatory

Pffffft....

Tanner Hall would've done it switch and with more steeze.

OMFG!

This all makes perfect sense. Take a frog and fly him over the pond and plant his ass in mormonville.... next thing you know he has a jesus complex and is throwing himself off big cliffs.

Oh, and if you're willing to throw on skis and jump off that then you get credit no matter how you land. Mad props.

[QUOTE=Cyber Cop]This all makes perfect sense. Take a frog and fly him over the pond and plant his ass in mormonville.... next thing you know he has a jesus complex and is throwing himself off big cliffs.

QUOTE]
    He is not french...just a moron.

Quote Originally Posted by shit sandwich
    Wow that's an intense pic...if I didn't shit my pants on the way down I'd have a heart attack, that's huge!!!
    Well, you would have plenty of time. Why not do both?

Quote Originally Posted by Droopy
    The guy seems to be a total dumb ass and an arrogant prick... that being said... WOW!!
    Quote:
    I met skier Jamie Pierre for the first time on a Thursday morning last March. Within 90 minutes, I saw him flip off a 40-foot cliff at Snowbird and land on a tree buried in the snow. It hurt him like hell, but he broke no bones nor punctured any internal organs. Two hours later, at Alta, he got into a screaming argument with his friend and photographer Lee Cohen before popping off a 50-footer. Eight minutes after that, he tried to board a midmountain chair without showing his season pass. When a lift supervisor demanded to see it, Pierre snarled, "Do you know who I am?" The supervisor, who naturally found Pierre's comment rude, answered, "No, asshole, do you know who I am?" A sneering Pierre tore open his coat and thrust the pass toward the liftie in a manner that could have led to blows, but didn't.

Early the next morning, Pierre hiked from Brighton to a cliff above Wolverine Cirque. As Cohen and I aimed cameras from an aerie above the Alta side of the cirque, Pierre attempted an American cliff-jumping record of 160 feet. During his stunningly long free fall, he pulled a Lincoln loop-reaching toward his tips and cartwheeling forward from the takeoff while somehow managing to rotate his torso. He stuck the landing. It was by far the biggest, most impressive air I've ever seen.

Fifteen minutes later, while hiking out, Pierre had a seizure, likely due to the minor concussion he suffered on the landing. "I've averaged at least one concussion per year since the early '90s," Pierre tells me. He seldom wears a helmet: "If it's a matter of my body going instantly from terminal velocity to zero, a helmet isn't gonna help much."
    Article: http://www.skiingmag.com/skiing/drop...535923,00.html
    I feel kinda sorry for the guy. Despite power of the lord, the thrill of the huck, the media attention, cash and glamour that go with his life and profession, he seems to be one unhappy, pissed off and angry mofo. He should be smiling all the way home every day. Oh well.
    The older I get, the better I was.