Digi Cam reccomendations

Screw the search function although I know this one has been done--digi cameras are always changing and improving so I will ask anyway.

My criteria: at least 4 mpixels, sleak and resilient. Would like to keep it under 400 hondo if possible. Anything specifically made for cold, wet conditions? I have reserached the Sony cyber-shots and those have yielded good reviews.

TR's are on the backburner until this is sorted. Thanks Mags

I bought a Canon Powershot SD500 Digital Elph for $400 Canadian on boxing day. 7.1mp, tiny, good enough photo quality for my purposes. Bought a hard case to put it in and it fits in a jacket pocket nicely and is protected. The SD550 is the newer version which has a 2.5" LCD whereas my 500 has 2". Decent features and picture quality and can take 640x480 movies, I'm happy with it.

Just bought an olympus 600 for $350 cdn... 6.0 megapixel, "weatherproof", big display screen and nice and compact. My only gripe so far is that it takes XD memory which is a bit more expensive.

I picked up a Cannon sd 400 for $268 at best buy.
    Good little digi cam on the verg of being tiny!
    If you you can swing a high speed card you can take shots pretty quick.

canon sd550

Canon A610, under $300 anywhere.
    I think that the human mind is unique among all other forms of life in that it can spontaneously create unique thoughts and provide unique behaviors. Instead of rewarding that uniqueness we, for some reason probably because of cultural and social necessity, we chastise unique behavior and reward conformity.

If water is a serious issue, take a look at the Pentax Optio WPI. Works underwater.
    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0508/05...x_optiowpi.asp

For me, I think digicams have finally reached a sweetspot with very very good 6-8 megapixel cameras in the $400 zone. I picked up a Casio Exilim EX-Z750 at Costco for $370, but water/weatherproof was not a big feature to me. Shutter lag is, and this has just about the fastest without going to a dSLR monster.
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...sio_exz750.asp
    Good runs when you get them.

Second star to the right and straight on till morning
    Looking for an intro-level Digital SLR that I can grow into as I acquire photo skills (looking hopefully to take photo for non-majors next semester or perhaps one after that). I have a Samsung video/still combo camera that SUCKS for anything in motion. My biggest concerns are exposure control and shutter speed (and I'm under the impression that SLR's are the fastest).

Opinions on the Nikon D200? Canon Digital Rebel EOS (older, I know the new XT is like 12 hundies)?

Summit, I had asked you about this earlier, and it looks like it's gonna happen, so I'm about to get SERIOUS!

Anyway, digital, 7 MP or so, FAST shutter speed, preferably durable and lightweight (in relative SLR terms), and under $600. ($700 more realistic? This is pretty much the only gift on my birthday list, so I may be splitting cost in some undetermined ratio with my parents)

EDIT: DO I REALLY EVEN NEED SLR FOR SUPER-QUICK SHUTTER SPEEDS? (I noticed a review of the Canon Powershot saying 1/3200 sec shutter speed and couldn't help but think "WOWZA")
    Last edited by Max Gosey; 03-09-2006 at 07:20 PM.
    Days on snow 06-07: 3
    Days behind a boat summer 2006: 24

"Coming here and asking whether you need wider skis is like turning up at the Neverland Ranch and asking Michael if he'd like to come to Tampa with the kids" -bad roo.

I also have a recommend the canon sd500.

thing is fucking awesome.

If price is a issue, check our the SD400. just got one for the GF. Basically the same, but only 5 mega pixels instead of 7.

paid under $300 on ebay, brand new with a 512 mb card
    Seriously, this can’t turn into yet another ON3P thread....

For $230 it's really hard to beat the new Canon A530. 5MP, 4x zoom, 2.1fps continuous shooting for as long as you hold the button (i.e. the Digic II chip), and takes AA batteries.

The Elphs will be a little bit smaller, but more expensive.

Thinking probably Canon Powershot S2 or S3. Olympus E300 and E500 looked tasty for cheap dSLR's. What do you guys think? Nice P&S or semi-crappy dSLR?

Don't think my parents are cool with buying anything used or even new off of ebay. They don't trust it...

Opinions on the S2 and S3? They look like nice options with 2.3 fps and 10x zoom (4x digizoom).

I have checked dpreview, but I'd like some skiers' opinions if possible (other than Summit's, thanks dude).

"Coming here and asking whether you need wider skis is like turning up at the Neverland Ranch and asking Michael if he'd like to come to Tampa with the kids" -bad roo.

Max,
    there is a couple of different numbers when it comes to "shutter speed" that you need to consider:
    (1) auto focus speed - time it takes for the camera to lock on to the subject when you halfpress the shutter. SLRs are hard to beat in this domain, although I have not followed new cams as closely. Related characteristic is accuracy of auto focus system.
    (2) frame rate for continuous shooting in frames per second,. You get 5fps out of 20D, not sure about latest rebel.

Also consider whether or not you care about continuous focus mode where camera tracks movement of the subject and keeps it in focus as you are shooting. Related to that SLRs do have multi point focus systems which help with tracking, not sure about latest P/S cameras.

I would say from personal experience that SLR is a money pit because there is always another lense that you would like to have. So if you want to limit how much you spend, get a nice point and shoot. On the other hand if you decide to go with SLR lenses are your real investments since bodies change pretty often. Good glass lasts for a long time.

For general shooting make sure that the camera accepts external flash, built-in flashes are really limiting.

Having said that I picked up a refurbished canon 20D from canoga camera last year for 1100 and have been very happy with it.

Forgot to mention that fred miranda's forums for cameras are much like TGR for skis, you can find some good deals from people that treat the gear well.

I have the nikon coolpix 7900. It's 7.1 megapixles. Online, it retails for around 270. I have taken pictures and video from this during very heavy snow and actually have had it fall into the snow, and it doesnt seem to care. Great photos for a great price.

Think hard before you buy an Optio. On the plus side, it is small and waterproof. Picture quality is fine for TR & home slideshow type pics. One handed operation out of a pocket is nice. The really bad news is that it lacks an optical viewfinder. Even set all the way bright, the LCD washes out & becomes unusable in flat light & glare. Doubly & triply so if you have goggles on. Half the time I literally just guess, point and shoot - and I am often rewarded with a great shot of snow and maybe a small bit of skier in the frame. I'd imagine the same problem would show up trying to take kayak or surf shots. Bottom line: the Optio is a handy, tough, waterproof camera best suited for taking indoor snapshots...

I'd probably look harder at the Canons if I had to do it all over again.

Canon A610 or A710. Mega shooting features. Can put a "wide angle" or an extra "zoom" lens on. Can put external flash. Got one off ebay, I know parents don't do ebay, new with a 1GB card, two lenses, adapter, rechargeable batteries\charger, tripods, cleaning kit and filters for $400 shipped. Have seen the A610 as low as $269 at the box stores.

These three are pretty much what it's down to:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp..._s3is&show=all

Which is the best bang for the buck, I'm wondering? In my own personal comparisons I have been leaning towards the Powershots over the A610. What do you guys think?

I'' repost this as it had a lot of great info

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...3&pp=25&page=2

These are the features I found important - I scored a S400 and A520 off ebay. Pay about 150 bucks. 40 dollars for 1 Gig card.

- 4.0MP minimum - to be able to crop big shots etc (both cameras are 4 MP)
    - fairly quick to boot up (dont want to wait too long) (A520 much quicker then S400)
    - buttons that can be handled with thin gloves (both are fine)
    - On-off switch as opposed to sliding case (sliding case prone to breakage) (both are fine)
    - small enough to be carried in pocket for quick access (both are fine)
    - decent color controls (nice to have ability to set exposure; nice to have f-stop. shutter speed settings) (A520 better then S400 which has primitive controls)
    - ability to set camera to burst mode and have the camera remember the setting after turning on - off (S400 and A520 don't have this - annoying)
    - decent battery life (both are fine)
    - decent optical viewfinder as digiview eats batteries (both are fine)

These are what I didn't find important

- type of memory - so cheap now it wasnt a cost factor for 1GB cards
    - type of battery (cheap generics available)

They're both grainy and crappy in low light but that's the compromise you make with point and shoots.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Gosey
    These three are pretty much what it's down to:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp..._s3is&show=all

Which is the best bang for the buck, I'm wondering? In my own personal comparisons I have been leaning towards the Powershots over the A610. What do you guys think?
    The S2IS and S3IS are a lot bigger then the A610 - that would be key consideration for me

i can't recommend the powershot series in extreme temps after the LCD problem with mine.

i found this after doing some searching. that's alot of pissed off people right there -

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...m_id=15&page=1

Quote Originally Posted by xboat
    i can't recommend the powershot series in extreme temps after the LCD problem with mine.

i found this after doing some searching. that's alot of pissed off people right there -

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...m_id=15&page=1
    Are those older Powershot series? Problem common to Canon? Just not sure what this has to do with the S2/S3...

Thanks for the input though.