Thread: Explosiv Review

Explosiv Review

Explosiv Review

Ski: 03/04 Volkl Explosiv - 190cm (red, flat tail) 120-95-112
    Skier: 5'11" 175lbs, 28, male.
    Conditions: powder, tracked up pow, crud, skier packed, bumps, hardpack, boilerplate, rocks, lots of rocks (Kirkwood, Mammoth)

I finally got enough days on these to do a review. My first impression of them was that they are absolute tanks. They feel, look and ski like tanks.

Construction - 9.5
    This ski is bomber. The thick edges can take a serious beating. Bases are holding up well. Explosiv's destroy rocks.

Pow - 8
    With a 95mm waist these float well. They don't hook or get sketchy in pow. It's easy make large radius turns or snap a short ones in soft snow. I have occasionally lost floatation in the super deep.

Tracked Pow / Chowder / Crud - 9
    When things get tracked and packed these skis start ripping harder. If driven with force they will turn through anything. They do exactly what you ask, and nothing you don't. Just be careful in case you hit a hidden bump cause you are going to feel the impact.

Bumps - 3
    The V-ex hates bumps! I also happen to hate bumps so it is not really an issue. Smaller soft bumps are fine to GS through. Large hard bumps are death; the stiffness and length can make them a real pain.

Trees - 3 or 8
    Tight trees on a flat pitch are a bitch. Basically any situation where you need the ski to turn for you isn't great, since these skis don't turn on their own. Medium spaced trees with a moderate to steep pitch are great, cause in that situation you have room and the forces needed to turn them around.

Steeps - 8
    I like them in the steeps, as long is it isn't super narrow they are a blast. They don't finish the turn and keep hooking up the hill like some skis do in steep terrain. The lack of sidecut makes them very easy to control when side slipping or hopping around tight spots.

Groomers / Hard snow - 8
    I actually like cruising (maching) groomers on these. They can rail GS turns anywhere, just with a huge radius. There is no speed limit whatsoever. They don't make the turn for you, but you can force them to do what you want. It is not easy to go slow on these skis, they love to haul ass.

Overall - 8
    These tanks are very stable and do exactly what you want and don't do much on their own. When driven hard they reward you nicely.

nice review
    I am anxious to see how my babe handles the 165.
    Git some

Ski: CMH Volkl Explosiv - 180cm 120-95-112, newer vintage with rubber tip protector, not used in a fleet
    Skier: 5'11" 175lbs, 29, male, good in the real world, very average for the maggots
    Conditions: mush, bumps, trees, steeps, groomers, to glare ice (stowe)
    Binder: Freerides
    Boot: Scarpa Laser with booster straps
    Mount: 2cm behind the CMH line, pretty damn far back, came that way, not too worried about it as I can still get them around ok

i've been skiing pretty soft skis for the past few years, but caught a deal on these and couldn't pass it up. skied them 2 warm days and then 2 ice days at stowe. it definitely took me a few runs to dial in the sweet spot on these between the extra lift of the freerides and the softness of the lasers. once found, this ski is the most neutral, won't f you over ski i've ever skied. true, they hate flat terrain, but in the steeps, even at low speed, they're fantastic. on glare ice and bumps, you're going to have a difficult time, but for anything soft and anything with a bit of a pitch, these things seriously rock!
    Last edited by ulty_guy; 12-31-2005 at 09:33 AM.

Ski: Lightning and Wizard V-ex, Buddha 180cm
    Skier: 5'10" 150# 27, male, "athlete"
    Conditions: whatever I skied in for 3 seasons
    Binder: UTB, Freerides
    Boot: T-race, Salomon course 120
    Mount: on the line, every time

These are my second favorite ski of all time (the wizard ones specifically due to topsheets being not as sticky and the slight twin).

They have the best edge hold of any ski I've ever used including a lot of GS race skis and have the best shape for steep and firm conditions. They float well enough and bust through whatever with no problems. I never found them to be totally ass-kicking but it helped to be on top of them and not in the backseat. I would recommend them to anyone for an everyday ski anywhere there is decent amount of snowfall and "fun" terrain.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

Quote Originally Posted by descender
    Explosiv Review

Ski: 03/04 Volkl Explosiv - 190cm (red, flat tail) 120-95-112
    Skier: 5'11" 175lbs, 28, male.
    Conditions: powder, tracked up pow, crud, skier packed, bumps, hardpack, boilerplate, rocks, lots of rocks (Kirkwood, Mammoth)

I finally got enough days on these to do a review. My first impression of them was that they are absolute tanks. They feel, look and ski like tanks.

Construction - 9.5
    This ski is bomber. The thick edges can take a serious beating. Bases are holding up well. Explosiv's destroy rocks.

Pow - 8
    With a 95mm waist these float well. They don't hook or get sketchy in pow. It's easy make large radius turns or snap a short ones in soft snow. I have occasionally lost floatation in the super deep.

Tracked Pow / Chowder / Crud - 9
    When things get tracked and packed these skis start ripping harder. If driven with force they will turn through anything. They do exactly what you ask, and nothing you don't. Just be careful in case you hit a hidden bump cause you are going to feel the impact.

Bumps - 3
    The V-ex hates bumps! I also happen to hate bumps so it is not really an issue. Smaller soft bumps are fine to GS through. Large hard bumps are death; the stiffness and length can make them a real pain.

Trees - 3 or 8
    Tight trees on a flat pitch are a bitch. Basically any situation where you need the ski to turn for you isn't great, since these skis don't turn on their own. Medium spaced trees with a moderate to steep pitch are great, cause in that situation you have room and the forces needed to turn them around.

Steeps - 8
    I like them in the steeps, as long is it isn't super narrow they are a blast. They don't finish the turn and keep hooking up the hill like some skis do in steep terrain. The lack of sidecut makes them very easy to control when side slipping or hopping around tight spots.

Groomers / Hard snow - 8
    I actually like cruising (maching) groomers on these. They can rail GS turns anywhere, just with a huge radius. There is no speed limit whatsoever. They don't make the turn for you, but you can force them to do what you want. It is not easy to go slow on these skis, they love to haul ass.

Overall - 8
    These tanks are very stable and do exactly what you want and don't do much on their own. When driven hard they reward you nicely.
    I'm the same size & weight as you, and ski the 180cm CMH version on the east coast. I'll second all your comments except the
    Groomers / Hard snow one. I find them to not always have the edge grip I like in harder snow. That said I have them mounted with freerides and my edges aren't the sharpest, which will contribute. They definitely like huge turns, which is a plus!

A rockin' ski.

Edit: Huckweat reminded me. I have mine mounted 3cm forward of the reccomended line, (the toe line.) They Are much more managable, fun, quicker turning and slarve-ey than when they were mounted on the old line that was so far back. One of my favorite things about this ski is how well it slip, slides and slarves. I assume that it's due to the straightness factor.
    Last edited by Dromond; 12-30-2005 at 02:19 PM.

Excellent Review....very thorough.

Ski: Explosiv 3, blue 190 (on my third pair of these)
    Skier: 6'4', 210 lbs, 30, "athlete"
    Conditions: whatever I skied in for 5 years (except super deep the last 2)
    Binder: Solly
    Mount: 3 forwards of the Shuhtzpits (and think I might go another couple this year).

Love this ski, and really agree with full review. My one adjustment personally: yes it is a tank regarding busting through stuff, but I feel it actually skis pretty casually (compared to say a Legend Pro). I think it is pretty forgiving, and has a fairly large sweetspot (a bit of back seat coming out of something is very controllable, the ski doesnt just take control of you). I am also pretty big, and have them mounted forward (which makes it more slarvable).
    Donjoy to the World!

O.K., I pick up the handle and sing the song too.

CMH Exploders 03/04 180 and 190

Skier: 5'10'', 175 lbs, 45, old, worn out, need a couple of braces in the meantime to keep ACL and vertebrae in place
    Binders: Sollys
    Mount: on center mark (1 cm back to regular Explosives)

180s very maneuverable in tight spots, good edgehold, stable on hardpack but found it too floppy in crud at speed, flotation o.k. but not exceptional. The 190 is way more stable at speed, still turny enough if needed, floats considerably better but with less edgehold, definitely don't want the mount to be more forward though. Needs to be worked in the bumps but still o.k. Else I agree to everything said before.
    Sold the 180s but will religiously keep the 190s.

Uhmm...so does anyone have an unwanted pair in a 180, please?