Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    North of South, South of North, West of East

SLC to Jackson Hole - Route Advice

From the JH Website:

Salt Lake City, Utah to Jackson Hole
    just over 300 miles or between 5 and 6 hours

There are about five ways to get to Jackson Hole from Salt Lake City. We will present the 3 which we feel are the best routes.

Route #1: North from SLC through Utah and Idaho and then over Teton Pass
    Note: This route is not recommended for those with RV's or trailers or during winter weather. Teton Pass is a steep, long pass.
    Take the I-15 North out of Salt Lake City towards Pocatello, ID.
    Take the US-20 Business/ Broadway St. (exit 118)
    Turn right onto Broadway
    Turn left onto N Yellowstone Ave./ ID-43/US-26.
    Stay on US 26 to Swan Valley
    In Swan Valley, turn left onto ID 31
    Follow ID-31 to Victor, ID.
    In Victor, turn right (East) on ID-33.
    Follow ID-33 over Teton Pass where it Becomes WY-22
    Follow WY-22 to US 89/Broadway.
    --> If you're going to Teton Village, turn left at WY-390/ Moose-Wilson Rd.
    --> before reaching US-89/Broadway. Teton Village is on the left @ 7 miles.

Route #2: Through Soda Springs, ID and Freedom, WY. Many locals think this is the quickest route.
    Take the I-15 North out of Salt Lake City towards Pocatello, ID.
    Turn Right at US-30 to Lava Hot Springs, Lund, and Soda Springs, ID
    In Soda Springs, turn left at 3rd E. Street, which is ID-34.
    You will be on a bridge crossing the Railroad tracks.
    In about a block turn right on E. Hooper Ave. (part of ID-34)
    ID-34 bends to the right at Greys Lake
    As you enter Freedom,turn right on County Line Rd.
    Continue less than a mile, and then turn Left at WY-239
    Continue for about a mile and a half, then Turn Left on US 89 just after passing Freedom Arms.
    Bear right at the US-26/ US-89 junction continuing North to Jackson on US-89
    Bear left at Hoback Junction continuing North on US-89/ US-191
    --> Note: if you're going to Teton Village, take a left at WY-22 just as you enter Jackson; then, turn right at the Moose-Wilson Rd./ WY 390.

Route #3: Through Evanston, WY. Although a bit longer than the other routes, this drive keeps you in big, wonderful Wyoming and on the East side of Idaho for most of the drive.
    Take I-80 East out of Salt Lake
    Take WY-89/ WY-16 North at Evanston
    Bear right (East) continuing on WY-89/ WY-16 at sage Creek Junction
    The road will end at US-30 where you will turn left
    Continue north through Cokeville to Border Junction.
    At Border Junction, Turn right onto WY-89/ WY-61
    This road joins with US-89 in about 10 miles
    Continue North on US-89 through Thane, near Freedom.
    Bear right at the US-26/ US-89 junction continuing North to Jackson on US-89
    Bear left at Hoback Junction continuing North on US-89/ US-191
    --> Note: if you're going to Teton Village, take a left at WY-22 just as you enter Jackson
    --> then, turn right at the Moose-Wilson Rd./ WY 390 .

Obviously, the Teton Pass route isn't good in bad weather, but what the pros and cons on the other two. If weather is rough which route is best? Any places to look out for regarding local law enforcement?

All help would be greatly appreciated.
    I should probably change my username to IReallyDon'tTeleMuchAnymoreDave.

TD, thinking of heading up during the skinc summit?

Quote Originally Posted by StroupSkier
    Shhhhhh! It's a secret.

teledave, i was driving those very roads just last week. Although i went from Denver to Jackson and then Jackson to Sun Valley and then to Salt Lake City, it seems as though route three is best.

Edit, i was thinking another route, i didn't take 89 up north but went I-80 to Rock Springs and then a straight shot up to Jackson which was pretty easy. I think it was route 192 or 191 or something from Rock Springs.........but i was comming from the other way.......so not certain but look on a map and whatever highways are to most major, stick to those routes. On the small roads in Idaho and Wyoming i had to do a lot of sketchy passing of big trucks etc....
    Last edited by Raps; 01-17-2006 at 08:46 AM.

If it's not a total white out the pass ain't all that bad, I'd fly Swan Valley.

If you're starting from the airport take route #2.
    If you're starting from south of the city take route #3.
    I wouldn't recommend route #1. You'll be on the interstate for fucking ever.
    The passes you'll go over with routes 2 and 3 are low and a bit south. If the weather is bad 3 might be a little better because all stretches of it are traveled more consistently I think. The stretch between Soda Springs and Freedom can feel a bit extra empty.
    There's a lot to be said for nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by StroupSkier

goddammit stroup...
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzle6 View Post
    I'm going to start by punching myself in the nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicTwinStix
    goddammit stroup...
    Already talked to stroup, nobody that doesn't already know looks over here anyhow. He won't mention anything over there. Don't get yer panties all wadded, G.

<== We need this emoticon over there.

best bet is route #3 but take the rock springs exit off I-80. Then north on 89/191 straight to jackson.

Alright guys, I'm telling the "other" board about the plans, unless I'm guaranteed a ride to Jackson. Stroup, where you been?

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky1051
    Alright guys, I'm telling the "other" board about the plans, unless I'm guaranteed a ride to Jackson. Stroup, where you been?
    I already told you that you can ride on Mr. Stinky's lap. I think you would both enjoy that.

Now quit hijacking my thread.

if you go the Soda srpings route...you can stop at Lava hot springs for a relaxing time.
    There's a world out there full of color, dreams, and imagination. What are you waiting for?

Dug up this old thread...I got a buddy that I'm trying to get into town on the 13th of feb. dfw to slc for 350 seems pretty good right now. Would it be best to take I15 in the winter? seems to me the interstate would be best bet in the winter. Rock Springs from SLC seems to be quite a bit out of the way, and driving through the high plains in the middle of nowhere in winter doesn't seem smart to me.

Any input?

Quote Originally Posted by Neezer View Post
    Dug up this old thread...I got a buddy that I'm trying to get into town on the 13th of feb. dfw to slc for 350 seems pretty good right now. Would it be best to take I15 in the winter? seems to me the interstate would be best bet in the winter. Rock Springs from SLC seems to be quite a bit out of the way, and driving through the high plains in the middle of nowhere in winter doesn't seem smart to me.

Any input?
    I-15 for sure if the pass is open. Right now it's dry as shit. Hopefully for not too much longer though!

Thanks concussed....do the roads get really bad that way? through idaho falls? If it is snowing, which is best? which is best if dry?

If it's snowing the canyon may be the best (191 from Rock Springs), but I've been in some hairy conditions down there too. I would def take I-15 through Idaho Falls and over the pass if you can. If you rent a FWD American car, check the weather. If teton pass is closed or super snowy (http://www.wyoroad.info/highway/webc...TetonPass.html) then take the canyon (191 from RS).

I've been in total whiteout conditions somewhere near Pinedale too. So if weather's bad, both routes are gonna be fun.

Cliff's Notes: take I-15 unless Teton Pass is closed.
    Last edited by Concussed; 02-03-2009 at 02:09 PM.

Was recommended this route by someone who's done that drive a lot:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...,10.535889&z=7

Did this drive right after New Year's, the day after it stopped snowing. The parts that were in WY were icy, the parts in ID and UT were good. But I've also driven up I-15 at 25mph with black ice everywhere. So I guess just because it's the interstate doesn't mean it's in better shape.

Well, i live in JH...trying to get my buddy and his gf into town. i would drive to slc. i have a silverado so the pass shouldn't be much of an issue even if there is a bit of snow.

On dry roads would it be better to get away from the interstate where i can open it up a bit? looks to be a few hundred bucks per ticket cheaper to go to slc as opposed to jac.

EDIT: haven't done it in the winter and snow, but i bet 191 get really shitty on the high plains in between RS and Pinedale.
    Last edited by Neezer; 02-03-2009 at 02:13 PM.

It's all about the weather. Good weather, either route [options 1 or 3] is fine. Semi-bad weather, either route kinda sucks. Bad weather, skip the pass and go up Palisades or just suck it up and drive slow on the pass. Really, really shitty winter weather, why the hell are you leaving Utah to ski somewhere else?
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Don't go through Rock Springs for any reason, that's ridiculous.

#1 This is the way to go if it's snowing hard. This way is faster if you are going to Jackson Hole, but if you are going to Jackson, still use I-15 but then go on 26 at Idaho Falls to 31 to 33. (also good if Teton Pass is closed). I-15 is rarely black ice and often plowed well. Kuba's comment about it being black ice is true, but I'd rather be going on an interstate on black ice than on a back road. You can actually overtake people, be close to help if you spin off, and when a semi goes off the road they block both lanes on a country road for the wreckers to do their job. I've been stuck for hours waiting on country roads because of this maybe 5 different times.

#2: Soda Springs way is fastest, but only by 10-15 minutes. I've seen that road with 10 inches of untracked snow on it the whole way. They don't plow it often and they plow it even less at night. Or they just close it if it's dumping. So if it hasn't snowed for a few days and the roads are really dry go that way. It's nice and scenic.

#3 Evanston to Jackson....good if you are leaving SLC at rush hour. It can be bumper-to-bumper going to Ogden on I-15, a frustrating way to start the trip...this route avoids rush hour.

Basically, there's way too many options and factors for this trip to have a clear choice, but overall on dry roads there isn't a big difference in time between the three.

If you're got supplies to pick up at Video Visions in Evanston, you go via Cokeville.

If you want to check snow conditions on your way in to the Hole, take I-15 to IF to the Pass.

Either way it's 4:30 in good conditions at 5-10 over.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Don't go through Rock Springs for any reason, that's ridiculous.

#1 This is the way to go if it's snowing hard. This way is faster if you are going to Jackson Hole, but if you are going to Jackson, still use I-15 but then go on 26 at Idaho Falls to 31 to 33. (also good if Teton Pass is closed). I-15 is rarely black ice and often plowed well. Kuba's comment about it being black ice is true, but I'd rather be going on an interstate on black ice than on a back road. You can actually overtake people, be close to help if you spin off, and when a semi goes off the road they block both lanes on a country road for the wreckers to do their job. I've been stuck for hours waiting on country roads because of this maybe 5 different times.

#2: Soda Springs way is fastest, but only by 10-15 minutes. I've seen that road with 10 inches of untracked snow on it the whole way. They don't plow it often and they plow it even less at night. Or they just close it if it's dumping. So if it hasn't snowed for a few days and the roads are really dry go that way. It's nice and scenic.

#3 Evanston to Jackson....good if you are leaving SLC at rush hour. It can be bumper-to-bumper going to Ogden on I-15, a frustrating way to start the trip...this route avoids rush hour.

Basically, there's way too many options and factors for this trip to have a clear choice, but overall on dry roads there isn't a big difference in time between the three.
    I'm making this drive tomorrow. Does anyone have a suggestion based on current road conditions?

Thanks!

-Phil

If looking at #1, Poky to IF is fine, IF to Swan valley is windy with blowing snow but otherwise fine. Pine Creek- packed snow but fine, taking 35ish minutes from Swan Valley to Victor. The pass is probably better maintained than any of the aforementioned, drove it Friday night in the thick of the storm with hardly any Viz and had zero issues. Usually a couple plows working during operating hours.

Beware of cokeville. The whole town is a speed trap. They have one building and behind it sits their one cop. What makes this worse is they have billboards encouraging drivers to go through cokeville to save time then they nail them with tickets you can pay on the spot.
    live the life.

Soda Springs route was snow packed and only saw one car last time I went to Jackson… it took some extra time and was pretty white knuckle. I would've preferred the pass, even in the snow.