Strange Back Situation

Just thought I'd post this to see if anyone else has had this:

I've had a pulled muscle in my back for about 2 to 3 weeks, it's gone from almost nothing at first to really bad, can't stand up straight bad, and finally eased off to almost nothing again.

The strange part: I found out yesterday that, even though it's a dull ache almost all the time otherwise, it doesn't bother me when I'm skiing. I get on the chair and my back hurts, I walk down the street and my back hurts. I sit on the couch and my back hurts, but not when actually skiing. Go figure. It just seems so counterintuitive.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Anyway, I'm stoked to be skiing again.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ctarmchair
    Lower back? Between shoulder blades? How did you pull the muscle originally?
    Lower back. Originally I was reaching (twisting) to play a puck behind me as I glided forward-so lower body is gliding forward and upper body twisting to stop a puck that was getting past me on the stick side....then I was bumped a bit further than I wanted to twist in a light contact with another player.

In the spirit of rampant speculation,
    yeah, that's the spirit!

since your back is hurting everywhere else except while actually skiing, it sounds as if you may: 1) be getting some helpful stimulation of the affected area from firing your posterior chain while skiing; 2) may likewise be getting some inhibition of pain response from firing your posterior chain while skiing; and 3) may be getting, well, somewhat "high" from skiing and thereby also muting your perception of pain. If you can do so without aggravating the back, try ice skating and see if the back hurts then -- if so, my bet is on 3). If not, some combination of 1) and 2).
    thanks, I was curious about this. I've been really tempted to go play a game and see how the back does, but I'm feeling so good skiing...I'm thinking that number 3 isn't necessarily it, because even just relaxed GS turns on groomers are like the least painful thing I can do with my back right now.

a more precise location of pain would help. "Reaching and twinsting for a puck" + an extra bump that forced you beyond normal montion.

More rampant speculation:

I'm thinking Sacroilliac (SI joint) or facet joint sprain. And I agree that firing your back muscles are possibly decreasing your pain by kind of stabilizing the spain (if thats what it is) then when you relax (sit down) those muscles are no longer having a stabilizing effect and it hurts.
    fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com

i've been using these heat patches from the drugstore that distract you so it doesn't hurt as much

Quote Originally Posted by Vinman View Post
    I'm thinking Sacroilliac (SI joint) or facet joint sprain.
    Just a 10 year follow-up. Turns out this guy was right, facet joint, L5/S1, it never really got better and now it's bone on bone gnarly arthritis.

Quote Originally Posted by YetiMan View Post
    Just a 10 year follow-up. Turns out this guy was right, facet joint, L5/S1, it never really got better and now it's bone on bone gnarly arthritis.
    Same here. They can inject the nerves to the facet joint (medial branch block) with anesthetic. (This is not an epidural injection--is outside the spinal canal). If that works they can obliterate the nerves with radiofrequency. Didn't work for me, might for you. Doc told me if it works it lasts 6m-1y. Doesn't cure the problem, just makes it hurt less. It's a very low risk, low pain procedure. Skiing is OK (at least I hope it's still ok) because when you arch you bend forward and tilt the top of your pelvis back--which is the correct posture for skiing you make the lower back convex instead of concave .This takes pressure off the facet joints. My wife keeps trying to get me to do yoga and I keep explaining that all that straight or hyperextended back stuff is exactly the wrong thing.

Ever try the Blair technique? Sure has worked wonders for me, not just for back but also to fix tinnitus. Very low impact. Theory is that all back problems are rooted in the upper cervical area, so if you get that properly aligned, everything else falls into place. Might not apply to your problems, I don't know, but perhaps worth checking out.

http://www.blairchiropractic.com/