Binding plate query

I have some higher-end (not race) Salomon bindings on a powder twin-tip ski. The shop mounted them too forward for me - the binding placement is fine for light powder or corn snow, but it's not good in Sierra Cement or mank or very wet snow. I end up doing an endo and my big toes pay the price - along with my quads.

The skis I have are very light and a full binding plate wouldn't add that much weight for me.

I contacted Vist (a binding/binding plate manufacturer) and they said I had to buy a Vist binding along with the plate. What a ripoff. No, I'm not going to buy Atomic bindings (the brakes never close when mating to the other ski). They are basically E.S.S. bindings, which Atomic has made worse and worse over the years - E.S.S. bindings were relatively light and sturdy, but Atomic (they bought E.S.S. over five years ago) bindings are neither of these. I've seen many people on so many mountains replace that damned Atomic plate on the ski, and use the binding they are used to. The same goes for the heavy Neox.

No, I don't want to buy some cheap plastic Salomon risers - that would mean I would have to take off my bindings, screw those cheapo Salomon risers to the ski, and then remount my bindings.

Isn't there a full binding plate that will take any ski binding? Maybe even Derbyflex (or Salomon's D-Flex) might do the trick. I would hate to redrill my skis once, let alone twice.

I wish every ski manufacturer would set in pre-drilled screw-holes - every snowboard manufacturer does it - it can't be that hard. No, I don't want to telemark (K2 has pre-drilled holes for most of its telemark line).

I would think twice about a Deflex on that ski; I'm sure the feel would be terrible and the flex really strange. Old school tach as well. You're also talking about a freehand drill there as the Deflex jig won't fit a fat ski. If you're set to having a race plate, one of the Poweraxe race plates or a Hangl plate would probably work better.

The best solution is simply redrilling your skis; a second set of holes won't so anything durability-wise.

If you want the Salomon risers, there's no issue removing your current bindings, swapping in the risers and longer screws, and remounting. There should be no issue strength wise with this setup.

Salomon PE2 plate will work, but requires a new set of holes. Old Driver Plus (flat) plates are an option, and give you the ability to set the binding +1,0,-1 cm without remounting. These are a little hard to find, however.

I would say 2 thumbs way way down on Deflex....just rule that out now.

Deflex plates are god's gift to speed skis, but have no place on anything else, IMHO.

Nr the sea , on the other side of the pond..
    there are the older gold HANGL plates like the ones i have on my Salomon GS skis but i wouldn't put them on my powder skis. Too high and too heavy.

These are the old gold hangl platesthat you could mount any bindings on. Good luck on finding an undrilled set. Salomon do not provide spares/ service for these anymore.

These are the same as the hangl plates above but pre drilled for salomon bindings allowing you to mount forward/back a few depending on boot size.

These are the power axe sl plates pre drilled for salomon bindings again giving you the option of mounting forward and back depending on boot mm.

There is also a completely different option. I have never tried these but the idea is interesting.

Line freedom plate that bolts onto the ski, they're only $25 each.

You have to use line binders....and you can't change the position easily.
    Semper in Pulveris .... Only the depth varies

Look around on-lin for the VIST plates. They have only been in the binding game for 2 years (bought the Nordica line) so you should be able to find a shop that has the blank plates.
    Move along nothing to see here.

Quote Originally Posted by weibo
    Look around on-lin for the VIST plates. They have only been in the binding game for 2 years (bought the Nordica line) so you should be able to find a shop that has the blank plates.
    I contacted VIST - and the rep said I would have to buy the plate and the binding - what a crock.

I ski Western hardpack with my powder skis - but when big hard bumps come up, I had to scrub some speed. My powder skis have a lot of sidecut (it can be a blessing or a curse) and I like sharp edges from contact point to contact point (both edges of both skis) - I sharpen only my side edges (except when a burr occurs on the base edge) zero degree. I might on my tips this season bevel both base and side edges to one degree (only about 15-25 centimeters). It works for me in carving, in crud, in corn snow, in deep powder, in powder, and in the trees. I'm on my powder skis 75% of the time.

Possibly a universal binding plate with two positions that can be covered up or filled with a plastic cylinder bolt (like a golf tee). I'm pretty certain that VIST makes them, but I haven't seen any in ski shops in snow country - I'm a gear slut. I would like to buy a universal binding plate (helpful if it has some metal in it).

I don't want to screw more holes in my skis if possible - I know that if ever buy a full binding plate, I will probably have to screw the plate in, but- possibly marine epoxy might do the trick. I have used marine epoxy some (I used to race small sailboats). Perhaps the military (or mil-spec) has some stronger epoxy that is used to cold temperatures.

If you're set on a plate and are using Salomon bindings, the PowerAxe SL plate would work. This plate tends to retain the lively feel of the ski better than some of the other all metal plates. It is also predrilled, so if you have a small to medium BSL, you should be able to move the binding forward or back ~10mm from the center mount. I have a pair on some Salomon race skis and they're OK; not too heavy and still good feel.

The plate will require new holes for sure, but they'll be nowhere near any of the others. Epoxy won't work as the plate is engineered to "float" somewhat on the ski.

On the off chance that this isn't a troll (okay, a suitably tenored style for either application):

Remount the fucking things, jesus h. christ you pussy. It isn't that big a deal. Just plug the old holes.
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

The rep either isn't understanding what you're looking for or doesn't care (or you aren't telling him very well). Here is a vist plate I think would work for you http://www.vist.it/html/en/products_...=3&subp=9#sub2

Look around you can find them.
    Move along nothing to see here.

Quote Originally Posted by lemon boy
    Remount the fucking things, jesus h. christ you pussy. It isn't that big a deal. Just plug the old holes.
    Theriouthly.

i've got some plates that fit an older version of the solly 916. i'm pretty sure they might work for you as they will accept your current drill pattern from the bindings you already have. email me if interested....

edit**** i'm super confused as to what you want do to. not redrill? you want a plate to lift you? dampening?

I think he wants to epoxy the plate on so that there are NO new holes in the skis
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn