Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    My vote is TLT, but really best to try them on and see for yourself.

Mercury is same shape? as TLT, but a instep buckle that might be placed better to hold your heel down?

Yeah, definitely the TLT. Super narrow ankle.

Wonder if sizing up and buying the highest volume palau/intuition liner might be a better idea? The spectres are pretty much a "climbing shoe fit" right now. Without the liner I am wall to wall. The insole arch gives me a bit of room. Fuck I dont want a race fit. I just want my heels to have reasonable control in a boot that I can tour all day and put on in the morning if I sleep in tent.

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    Wonder if sizing up and buying the highest volume palau/intuition liner might be a better idea? The spectres are pretty much a "climbing shoe fit" right now. Without the liner I am wall to wall. The insole arch gives me a bit of room. Fuck I dont want a race fit. I just want my heels to have reasonable control in a boot that I can tour all day and put on in the morning if I sleep in tent.
    might work? might also just crush your toes.

I also suggest to get the shell to fit, and the liner is a thin bit of padding betweem the foot and shell (like a thicker sock)

Any idea where the one px fits between the tlt and mercury? I tried the px and the heel was way too big.

no idea, I"m not a dynafit retailer.

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    Any idea where the one px fits between the tlt and mercury? I tried the px and the heel was way too big.
    One PX, One U, Mercury and Vulcan all use the same last and fit the same on my foot, though flex patterns vary a lot. The TLT6 has a slightly smaller toebox and mid foot, the TLT5 smaller yet, but not by as much as the specs would suggest. Instep height is slightly lower on the One/Merc/Vulc than on the TLT5/6 IME, though both are a challenge for high insteps.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    One PX, One U, Mercury and Vulcan all use the same last and fit the same on my foot, though flex patterns vary a lot. The TLT6 has a slightly smaller toebox and mid foot, the TLT5 smaller yet, but not by as much as the specs would suggest. Instep height is slightly lower on the One/Merc/Vulc than on the TLT5/6 IME, though both are a challenge for high insteps.
    Dunno about the tlt but IME the shitty liner is the reason for the lower instep on the one/mercury/vulcan thro in a PW or even just modify the stock palau liner will give more instep height
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Dunno about the tlt but IME the shitty liner is the reason for the lower instep on the one/mercury/vulcan thro in a PW or even just modify the stock palau liner will give more instep height
    Even if you cut off the extra vinyl and elastic from the One/Merc/Vulc liner, the disparity between the toebox volume and the instep are greater than in either TLT shell.

I probably should say its one reason

even with a sporty 1 finger behind the heel fit on a wide flat forefoot I didn't need any toe punches

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1408469311170.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	157564

This is my foot in my old 27.5 (toes touching the front) . I'm debating on whether to buy 28.5 or 27.5 for my next purchase. I was in a 29.5 for about 4 years (a major injustice to my ability). Any suggestions? I'm leaning towards a 27.5 again, even though my toes feel pretty snug when I tried on my old boots, but with brand new boots and an intuition liner I'm sure it'd be just fine.
    "Slid into the cave where Rocky was waiting with the bong and the snowlerblades"

is it a scarpa shell OR some other brand?

Every mfger uses one shell with 2 different liners to cover 2 sizes of boot but Scarpa break on the half size while all the others break on the full size SO a Scarpa 27.5 shell would be the same as a Scarpa 28 shell while in any other brand a 28.0 shell would be the next size bigger than a 27.5 shell

that clearance "looks" good but in case my sense of scale is FU'd in a picture, the best way is to measure is a 9-14 mm clearance with a go-no-go gauge like scarpa uses which you can make from a piece of scrap wood or even just different size marking pens

I would go for the less clearance and get a toe punch if the toe box is too tight

It's a Nordica shell. For reference, I can barely fit my index and middle finger in the extra space. Looking at picking up 27.5 Soli Ghost 130s.
    "Slid into the cave where Rocky was waiting with the bong and the snowlerblades"

Quote Originally Posted by ImSearchingforPowder View Post
    It's a Nordica shell. For reference, I can barely fit my index and middle finger in the extra space. Looking at picking up 27.5 Soli Ghost 130s.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLzUQQGBJus

check out the shell fitting part ^^ at the beginning, maybe you want to use something besides your fingers to check cuz stacking index & middle finger of small azn man mo like 30mm ... looks too big ?

BTW I may have got the dimensions of the "scarpa fit stick" wrong but check goggle cuz different boot fitters use different parameters or things like a mag light handle/ a 3/4" dowel/ 1/2 pvc pipe is 15mm on the outside, but 10-20mm seems to be the ballpark depending on racer or rec skier, I just checked my boots for shits and giggles and I have 15mm behind my heels both AT & alpine which is the bottom of a magic marker

but most important is that a real bootfitter can tell you what length & what shell will work for your foot

what XXX said. 5-15mm is a good range.

if the 27 worked, then stay with that. 28 shell is 10mm bigger, and odds are will just piss you off that it is too big

Thanks a lot guys. I read where Cody Townsend wears a size 11 street shoe and wears a 27.5 in the Ghost, so that gives me a little peace of mind. Worse comes to worst I can just return them. Unfortunately I don't have access to a bootfitter being in TN until January.

Quote Originally Posted by ImSearchingforPowder View Post
    I don't have access to a bootfitter being in TN until January.
    odds are you are not skiing until Jan either?

Looking at the foot in boot pict made me wonder if a boot fitter could make a brand recommendation by looking at a GOOD picture of the foot ??

Looking at the foot in boot pict made me wonder if a boot fitter could make a brand recommendation by looking at a GOOD picture of the foot ??
    I have a pretty normal foot, and find that the shell is only 1 part of the equation, the liner being the other (and maybe more important part). I fit in a lot of shells, but then when the stock liner is added to the mix, the boot fit can change dramatically. I wish boot mfgrs would offer multiple liner options in their higher end models, although I guess that's what keeps Intuition and Zipfit in biz.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Obviously you will not get a performance fit from a picture on the internet more of a "with your foot try this and forget about the shell you wanted " recommendation, I wanted full tilts the fitter looked at my foot and said forget it

I find that just about all liners feel about the same after a few days, or a aggressive heat molding. YMMV

Well, when you go to a boot fitter in person, that's what they're doing. You'd need something like a quarter or a ruler or something to have a sense of scale. So yeah, a GOOD picture. I'm not saying I could do it, I've been out of the game too long, but I bet mtnlion could. 8D
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLzUQQGBJus

check out the shell fitting part ^^ at the beginning, maybe you want to use something besides your fingers to check cuz stacking index & middle finger of small azn man mo like 30mm ... looks too big ?

BTW I may have got the dimensions of the "scarpa fit stick" wrong but check goggle cuz different boot fitters use different parameters or things like a mag light handle/ a 3/4" dowel/ 1/2 pvc pipe is 15mm on the outside, but 10-20mm seems to be the ballpark depending on racer or rec skier, I just checked my boots for shits and giggles and I have 15mm behind my heels both AT & alpine which is the bottom of a magic marker

but most important is that a real bootfitter can tell you what length & what shell will work for your foot
    Use a wooden round dowel with the appropriate circumference to what fit you want.

I'm having some trouble with my Lange RS 130's, these are regular low volume, sz 26.5. I've got a ton of extra ankle room. I wouldn't want any narrower. Any boot suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by cliffhucker View Post
    I'm having some trouble with my Lange RS 130's, these are regular low volume, sz 26.5. I've got a ton of extra ankle room. I wouldn't want any narrower. Any boot suggestions?
    I had the same problem with the same boots. I got Fischer Vacuums. Best fit of any boot I have ever had. Molded them with the stock liners as high as the pressure would go, then put intuition liners in them because the stock fischer liners are kinda shitty.

My ankles used to straight up roll in my RS130 and my Head Raptors. The Fischers have never given me any issues. I love them, and will never buy anything else.

P.S. I have conformable insoles in them too, those help as well.