Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cliffhucker View Post
    I'm having some trouble with my Lange RS 130's, these are regular low volume, sz 26.5. I've got a ton of extra ankle room. I wouldn't want any narrower. Any boot suggestions?
    true race boot, with a 95-98mm shape. best to try a few on and see what fits you the best.

Have you worked with Tecnica's Bonafide and Bodacious ski boots? I'm looking to replace my alpine boots (Tecnica) and have come across some pretty good pricing on these. I had a chance to try on a Bonafide in my size and the fit was pretty good.. Will still require a bit of work though.

I'm trying to decide between the Bonafide at 110 flex or the Bodacious at 130. If I go with the Bodacious, can it be softened if I find it too stiff?
    Can you see any reason why either of these boots are not a good idea for a dedicated alpine boot?

go stiffer, you can remove 1 or 2 rear rivets to test the boot with a softer flex, and then cut shell to make it softer.

great alpine boots, and like any boot its good if it fits you.

Thanks - I appreciate the advise.

Are you sure the Bodacious has removable rivets? I read one review that indicated it did not - However I have not been able to find anything online that confirms this. Unfortunately I don't have a Bodacious locally that I can look at in person.

Does cutting the shell to soften the boot impact it anywhere else? Does it effect the side to side (lateral) stiffness at all?

Almost 100% sure bodacious has rivets, no other issues from cutting shell

Ok boys, I've been encouraged by this thread (or perhaps it was another) to grind my own shells and that went fine, so I'm here again for some DIY advice on how to soften up a pair of boots. The boots in question are a Redster 130 WC, and I would like to take them down a bit to around 120.

There was a post a year or two ago somewhere with a Nordica tech sheet on softening Dobermans which involved cutting a U notch in both sides of the lower shell above the ankle. I've also read that you can grind the front of the lower shell down a bit. The Redsters have a two bolt plate in the back but removing that only adjusts the upper cuff rotation --from what I can tell.

How should I proceed?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Rear bolts USUALLY soften boots? Try that to test. If not a U in the back will help or V on the sides

Any idea if the spectre heel volume can be reduced in a fisher vacuum machine?

would not think by very much, worth trying? (what harm can it do)

if the heel is too big, sounds like the wrong boot for you?

Quote Originally Posted by mfozz View Post
    Thanks - I appreciate the advise.

Are you sure the Bodacious has removable rivets? I read one review that indicated it did not - However I have not been able to find anything online that confirms this. Unfortunately I don't have a Bodacious locally that I can look at in person.

Does cutting the shell to soften the boot impact it anywhere else? Does it effect the side to side (lateral) stiffness at all?
    The Bodacious has three rivots, all can be removed.

Timberridge:
    U/V cuts on the side are the preferred technique. With the Redster I would not remove the bolt plate. On many boots there are lines indicating where to cut. Otherwise just deepen the current 'U' shape by a cm or less - and then cut more if needed.

bump for the fall and more questions.

Bump for mtnlion who has the patience to put with us and provide great advice for all these years.

New boot goofin...
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2z...oot-goofin_fun
    Last edited by Timberridge; 10-12-2016 at 01:35 PM.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

What is lowest volume / tiniest angle dynafiddle compatible touring boot? Ski Dobie WC last alpine boots and know nothing will come close to that, but in general which last has smallest ankle / lowest volume last? Gracias
    He who has the most fun wins!

Quote Originally Posted by comish View Post
    What is lowest volume / tiniest angle dynafiddle compatible touring boot? Ski Dobie WC last alpine boots and know nothing will come close to that, but in general which last has smallest ankle / lowest volume last? Gracias
    You want alpine like boots or true touring boots?

Is there a measurement to tell when boot soles are too worn out to safely use? I'd assume place them on a flat surface and if the left/right sides are worn up to "xx" mm then they are too far gone. Or, will this also depend on binding used?

cochise 130, what ever the new lange boot is, or a dynafit mercury/vulcan ?

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    You want alpine like boots or true touring boots?
    Touring boots ala Maestrale RS or stiffer. I'm still gonna use the Dobie's for most days so looking that will only be toured in, but skis as close to an alpine boot as possible?

Gracias ML for rec's.
    He who has the most fun wins!

probably you wana find some used vulcans,

narrow heel, low volume widish toe AND ... stiff as fuck
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

None of them is especially low volume or snug around the ang(k)le. The Vulcan/Mercury is narrow in the medial plane from under the malleollus to the navicular, but fairly roomy in the actual ankle - if you fit in a Doberman without much punching the forefoot will feel very wide and tall. Instep is low, though. MTN Lab is moderately narrow through the midfoot and forefoot (98mm) but roomy in the ankle. Maestrale RS is quite spacious in the ankle, and the Freedom boots are even roomier there.

If you want to consider "crossover" type boots, Tecnica Zero G Guide Pro, Lange XT Freetour LV, or Dalbello Lupo Carbon Ti are all generally lowish volume, but nowhere near a Doberman.

Is the Lange XC 120 one of those boots that is butter soft in the shop but stiffens way up on the hill in cooler temps? In a related question, does the XC have the same heel as the XT or is the whole last narrower?

Tried on a pair of XC 120s and they fit fairly well other than needing a bunion punch, but they are really freaking soft. No 130 XC model is available. Debating modifying an XT130 for width, adding Powerwraps, or going in an entirely different direction.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasGortex View Post
    Is the Lange XC 120 one of those boots that is butter soft in the shop but stiffens way up on the hill in cooler temps? In a related question, does the XC have the same heel as the XT or is the whole last narrower?

Tried on a pair of XC 120s and they fit fairly well other than needing a bunion punch, but they are really freaking soft. No 130 XC model is available. Debating modifying an XT130 for width, adding Powerwraps, or going in an entirely different direction.
    I don't know about the xc but my RX130s stiffen a lot in the cold and are very mushy in warm temps. As long as it's near freezing they are great.

Thanks. Looks like both shells are polyether, so maybe they behave similarly in regards to temp. The lower boot seemed to deform more than expected under heavy flexing... maybe that contributes to the soft flex.

No clue what the polyolefin cuff means besides translucent.

Edit: these are last year's green cuff'd black boots. I don't think they changed anything, but I got the materials off this year's website.

Anybody know how Dalbello "Scorpion" 130 has changed in the last few years? Is there a difference between this year's DRS130 and the DMS130 besides color? Anybody know if the rumors that they got more upright in the last few seasons are true? I'm assuming the flex hasn't changed...?

I don't need new boots; I'm just curious.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Just wanted to update real quick on two oversights I made...

1. I was excited to try the boots on so I opened the box straight from UPS. The boots were probably 85 degrees because it was a hot day. After they cooled down to even the upper 60s overnight they are notably stiffer.

2. Also due to my impatience I didn't notice the liner had shoelace eyelets until after a shell fit (which I obviously didn't do until I just shoved my foot into the boot to check it out). Lacing and tying them also seems to stiffen the boots up.

I might throw them in the freezer to see what they feel like properly cold, but I suspect getting them on will be a major pain in the ass. I'm no longer worried they will be too soft. I have ~100 flex boots now and if anything I'm worried the XC 120s will be too stiff when cold. I like soft boots because I'm apparently a delicate little flower.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasGortex View Post
    Just wanted to update real quick on two oversights I made...

1. I was excited to try the boots on so I opened the box straight from UPS. The boots were probably 85 degrees because it was a hot day. After they cooled down to even the upper 60s overnight they are notably stiffer.

2. Also due to my impatience I didn't notice the liner had shoelace eyelets until after a shell fit (which I obviously didn't do until I just shoved my foot into the boot to check it out). Lacing and tying them also seems to stiffen the boots up.

I might throw them in the freezer to see what they feel like properly cold, but I suspect getting them on will be a major pain in the ass. I'm no longer worried they will be too soft. I have ~100 flex boots now and if anything I'm worried the XC 120s will be too stiff when cold. I like soft boots because I'm apparently a delicate little flower.
    Dude you'll be fine. Langes have a nice progressive flex that smoothly ramps up stiffer as you flex into them.

100 flex? What are you a 15 year old girl?

(A boot fitted can make these softer if you really need it, but better to start too stiff.)