Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    I've posted it in that thread with the answers to questions ect.

Ok, JONG question; what/where is the sixth toe?

6th toe is the bump that can form on the outside of your foot (just past the 5th/smallest toe)

can be from rubbing, or too much pressure, and will go down a bit over time.

A couple of Jongish questions.

When is it right for someone to go with a plug boot? Does it matter what plug your going with if its modified so much anyway?
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

when someone needs a narrow fitter, stiffer boot.

plugs can be changed a lot, but if you need a med flex, medium width boot, there are lots of off the rack options

Quote Originally Posted by rludes025 View Post
    Does it matter what plug your going with if its modified so much anyway?
    You always want to go with the boot that matches your foot the best and then go from there when making the mods so yeah it totally matters. The only areas I try to modify are around the toes and sides of forefoot (especially 6 toe as mntlion said) where its easier to punch/grind. I think messing with the instep and around ankles is a very tricky call and avoid boots that have issues there.

There are some softer(still quite stiff but not totally race stiff) plug boots, really every brand now pretty much models their top freeride boots after their plug race boots. Softer examples include the Nordica Hot Rods, maybe even Salomon Ghosts could fit in here, Technica Agents. The one thing in common with all the plug race and freeride boots is they have a 98mm or under last width.

How do I decide the best flex to get? Both shops I've gone to have put me in 100's. When I buy snowboard boots I get the stiffest ones. I know it has to do with my sking style and terrain, but other than that... is there a benefit to getting a softer boot given equal terrain (none of which is anything close to park), skill, and strength? One of the fittings was done by a friend who I've skied and rode with so he knows what I'm like.

keep going softer, untill if feels like you are bottoming out the boot, or too much tension on the calf. Then go a bit stiffer.

If you are still not sure, boots can be made softer, as needed

jgb@etree Guest
    Just got fitted for a pair of Tecnica Dragon 120's to replace my aging (ok, they're actually completely shot) Lange XR9's that I've had for > 10 years.

During that 10 year period, I had a pretty nasty tib/fib fracture that, but fortunately my old boots felt OK around the pressure points that developed from all of the surgery, etc.

Decided I should suck it up, and do it right - get a solid boot and make sure it's fitted correctly.

First shocker was the sizing. My old Lange's don't have a mondo size on them, but the BSL is 344 and they've got 12's imprinted on the sole. I'm now in a 28.5, which floored me. As someone mentioned on page 1, footbeds helped 'shrink' my foot into them. When I first got in (stock footbed) my toes were jammed into the front of the boot. As soon as the footbed went in, my toes pulled right back.

The next big issue was the pressure point(s) on my left leg. It's not about how much pressure, but where the pressure was and every properly fitting boot I tried had the top of the tounge + cuff in the wrong spot which meant severe discomford when flexing the boots. I think the old Lange's were OK because they had a slightly higher cuff which moved the pressure to a spot where I can deal with it.

After a bunch of trial & error, the bootfitter stuck some extremely dense foam wedges to the front of my left boot to redirect the forces when I flex the boot. It was like fucking magic. Took a bit of tweaking to get the right foam density & size down, but once he did it was a whole different story. He then had to put some much less dense foam (but the same size and positioning) on my right tounge to balance things out.

So far, so good. It's been a long time since I've been in such a tight fitting boot, but I know it'll pack out and am hoping that the custom fitting was just what the Dr. ordered. Unfortunately, I'm not going to get back out for almost 2 weeks, so it'll be a while before I can see how they feel when I get on the snow.

Bump for cold toes
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

bump for lots of boot questions coming up.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose Pit View Post
    Bump for cold toes
    Are you skiing with thin socks? Boots shrink as it gets colder and your socks need to get thinner-or at least mine do. Just a thought.

Bump for another JONG looking for new boots in October. Mtnlion - can you clarify why you are recommending a softer boot? Is this just for comfort? Or, do you not need a super stiff boot to drive bigger skis?

I'm 5'10" 170 lbs, ski fairly aggressive in CO and UT, and looking to upgrade my skis and boots this year. Most of the local shops are suggesting a 110 flex boot, but I'm worried this isn't stiff enough. I haven't decided on a ski yet, would like to demo but will probably get something 100-115 waist. Since its much harder to make a boot stiffer, I'm inclined to get a 130 flex boot with removable plugs (i.e. Lange RX130).

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    keep going softer, untill if feels like you are bottoming out the boot, or too much tension on the calf. Then go a bit stiffer.

If you are still not sure, boots can be made softer, as needed

most people are in boots too big, and too stiff for them, this makes it VERY hard to flex your ankle and then stay in balance (most people are in the back seat)
    so a boot that is softer will help them move more better

if you are in balance, then ya, get something stiffer and make it softer as needed.

Cool, thanks for the explanation. There is a big price difference between a 110 and 130...so decisions to be made.

any recs for a novice/intermediate boot? i am a complete ski JONG. i suck but plan to get better quickly. so the flex would have to be forgiving enough to learn on, but not hold me back once i get better?

fwiw i like a stiff snowboard boot.

i have a narrow foot with average arches. any brands/models come to mind? what flex should i be aiming for?

DK: try some boots on and see what feels right to you. did you read the start of this thread?
    http://www.epicski.com/a/boot-fittin...ll-work-for-me
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...quot?p=2056447

I'm looking for a performance fit, which I know will be snug. But, having a hard time deciding what is too snug. A boot with 97 Last feels snug all over (toes touching front of liner, little wiggle room). But, after 10-15 minutes, my foot starts to fall asleep. Will this pack out and get comfortable - or am I just going to be cold? The same boot with 100 Last feels almost comfortable - toes barely touch the front of the liner, with a little wiggle room and my toes don't fall asleep after 15 minutes.

most people are in boots too big

are the toe buckles off. loose or tight?
    thinnest sock you can find?
    stock footbed out and some kind of custom in the boot?
    what is the shell fit like for length? (in mm)
    what is the shell width like for fit ? (touching the sides? lightly?)
    odds are go smaller, as it can be made bigger, if needed.

I have around 200 days on my boots and have taken good care of them - I have replaced the sole kit on both boots, got intuition liners, replaced a buckle here and there, etc. Seems to me that the boots fit well and I don't have the classic "too big" problem that most people have. I was fitted properly in a shop, have less than 1" between my heel and the shell, and the boot is very small compared to my street shoe (between 10.5 and 11 shoe size, which would be a straight conversion to 28.5 mondo, and my shell is a 27)

I'm happy with the flex, (they flex stiffer than they were when I first got them thanks to Intuition Powerwraps) there is no visible damage to the shells other than cosmetic (decals and stuff are scuffed off)... just wondering when I should start thinking about replacing them. Is there a magic number of days or something, or should I just keep it going until they break in half?

liners usually get 200 days (less if you dont dry them out)
    shells can get 500+ if the toes and heels are not worn out.
    if they fit, and work for you keep them until they fall apart, odds are the cuff screws will loosen off, buckles fall off, etc.

Buckles were tight - not super tight, on both boots.
    Thin sock.
    Green Superfeet insoles. I bought these last year to help take up volume in a too big AT boot, so maybe could go with a different insole.
    I'll need to go back to measure the shell fit. They did measure it, but I think by the 1 finger rule with length.
    Read your post on width - will look for lightly touching to 2mm.
    If I upgrade to an intuition liner, could either boot work as a performance fit?

I appreciate the beta! The bootfitter/saleman I am working with is telling me its up to me, whatever feels right. Losing circulation doesn't feel right, but I know they will pack out.

are the toe buckles off. loose or tight?
    thinnest sock you can find?
    stock footbed out and some kind of custom in the boot?
    what is the shell fit like for length? (in mm)
    what is the shell width like for fit ? (touching the sides? lightly?)
    odds are go smaller, as it can be made bigger, if needed.
    Last edited by slcdawg; 10-19-2011 at 08:35 AM.

i usually aim for toe buckles OFF on a new boot. then you can make them tighter when/if needed
    thinner footbed will help too
    5-15mm shell fit is good, mm are more accurate then fingers..
    go smaller, tighter, you will be fine

Cool - thanks for the info. This is a very informative thread!

DK: try some boots on and see what feels right to you. did you read the start of this thread?
    http://www.epicski.com/a/boot-fittin...ll-work-for-me
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...quot?p=2056447
    yep i read up and tried some on. problem is my local shop doesn't have a whole lot of selection.

the guy put me in some Salomon Quest 8's, which have a 90 flex suitable for my jong self. did not recommend the Quest 10's. i like that they have a walk mode, but other than that, still don't have much of a clue. my toes were definitely up against the end, but i guess that's the way it should be.