String is offline PowderdDonutsMakeMeGoNuts

Black Hole Couloir

Quote Originally Posted by String View Post

Black Hole Couloir
    sick i vote for this one

Quote Originally Posted by Camel Toad View Post
    chugach...the obvious one just right of center

Matt Neuner dropping in
    That's the West Trident Couloir on Mt. Beelzebub. I was on day 5 skiing in from Anchorage, and I don't think helicopters can fly in that part of the Chugach. So it would take a pretty impressive kite-boarding approach to get this one done in the 3 day requirement for this forum.

My vote: the Southeast Couloir on the South Teton. It meets my top 2 criteria: skiable from the summit and you can rip it without a chute on your back. I'll post my photo of it if I can figure out how to do it.

Camel Toad, how'd you end up with that photo anyway?

-- Neuner
    Last edited by Neuner; 02-19-2008 at 11:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Telegasm View Post
    That "395 dot com" web dude never skied it, I guess.

Height: Scheelite is a full 6,000 vertical feet, beginning a ways up the ridge from the ruins of the Adamson Mine at over 13K' and ending at just above 7,000' at Pine Creek.

Slope: The upper chute is only 45° for a very short distance in a choke about 200' down from the top. The rest of it is 40ish and only lasts 1500 feet or less. Unfortunately the whole rest of the couloir varies wildly between long sections that are only 15-20 degrees (and wide as a football field) and short pitches of 35°.

Quality: unfortunately, usually full of junk (faces east-southeast) at any time that it's full to the bottom. And when it's not full to the outlet, the bush/boulder/waterfall/dirt/moss climbing at the bottom is a pretty good deterrent.

... I still recommend it, though, if you're in this for suffering and scenery more than good turns. If you climb up it from the road, a good starting time suggestion is midnight, or 3AM if you're in great shape. People try it from 4 or 5AM all the time and only get halfway up before getting chased out by slush trains.
    Telegasm has the accurate info for this route.
    I tried to climb and ski this route after drinking too much at an employee party back in 2002. The conditions were good at that time. The bottom had just started to melt out. It can be skied in midwinter after a long cold spell. Wait until you see how much terrain empties into the bottom of this route. Pick your year and day right!!

I agree with Mt Moran as the coolest big skiable line. when you first see it in good conditions, it just says "come and ski me".

Alaska Range, day trip from road

I know this one has already been posted but I really wanted to share this pic

Aemers Couloir, Mt Temple Lake, Louise AB
    "When the mountains speak, wise men listen" -John Muir

Not sure if it really counts as a couloir per se, but here's my 2 cents...
    Today ridicule, tomorrow really cool.

http://www.left-collective.com/
    FOLLOW YOUR OWN WAY

Goddamn misty jong, where is that?

Have you skied that? The line in the center of the pic is burl, but the one to the right of it, coming off the peak is crazy.

How steep/wide are those?
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

^^^^ that's gotta be one of the narrowest and longest coolies i've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    Goddamn misty jong, where is that?

Have you skied that? The line in the center of the pic is burl, but the one to the right of it, coming off the peak is crazy.

How steep/wide are those?

thank you for the status reminder mr jenkins.
    answers:
    1] tucked away safely deep in the Cascades within the catchment of a certain unnamed heli op...
    2] no, sadly not. we pleaded desperately with the guide but he said no dice. apparently one of the criteria for being granted permission to hit this line is having the ability to complete a parallel turn
    3]hard to tell exact width/size as we only flew past but i have it on good authority that the piece de resistance in the middle of shot is a sustained 50-55 top to bottom. add a couple for the line off peak.

besides being potentially the sickest line ever skied, conditions would have to be 103% perfect or else the phrase "terrain trap" springs to mind.
    Today ridicule, tomorrow really cool.

http://www.left-collective.com/
    FOLLOW YOUR OWN WAY

Quote Originally Posted by Misty_Fly View Post
    conditions would have to be 103% perfect or else the phrase "terrain trap" springs to mind.
    Slight understatement?

This may be a rerun but I can't get it out of my mind, especially with the banner snow year we're having here in Utah.
    "In the woods, we return to reason and faith. There I feel that nothing can befall me in life, — no disgrace, no calamity, (leaving me my eyes,) which nature cannot repair." -Emerson

That's sick whatever you call it.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Yo check this out

Thanks to Sergio Verdina for the photo
    Last edited by Lani; 02-20-2008 at 12:40 PM. Reason: edit for foto credit

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    This is my brother in law's shot taken from Beehive Basin (near Big Sky) last winter. Does it have a name?

Looks like the south face of Gallatin Peak. Beyond that peak on the right is a big wall filled with more chutes.

Good thread, more photos please, bump.

Spire Peak couloirs

Don't think this has shown up yet. Whitetail Peak in the Beartooths, MT.

"Unfortunately, Meadows mgmt/marketing found out about the PR stash and published it on their trail map."

FASP E face

Apocalypse Couloir, Prospectors mtn, Tetons.

MT WILLIAMSON, CA -- GIANT STEPS COULOIR

Quote Originally Posted by jrbd View Post
    I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the Messner Couloir on Denali. An account from Andrew McLean:
    http://www.pawprince.com/pawprince/w...ssner_ski.html
    Messner Couloir is center right. 20k down to 14k.
    Last edited by jumpturn; 03-15-2008 at 06:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ECbum View Post
    ... something tells me several shots in Huntington needs to be on here....
    Central Gully (1300') with Diagonal to its right, Huntington Ravine, Mount Washington, March 13, 2008.

Maroon peak

This is the southwest face of Maroon Peak, CO

That place has a SHITTON of snow.... and anyways, is that line off the peak not like 90 degrees??