Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    edit: deleted because i'm an idiot. North America...got it.
    Last edited by alpinepronghorn; 12-09-2005 at 11:51 AM.
    To have a great adventure and survive requires good judgment. Good judgment comes from experience. And experience, of course, is the result of poor judgment. -Geoff Tabin

Dead Dog... (On the right)
    Living the good life.

Mt. Sopris - Laundry Chutes were fun last spring. I'm not sure they are the best in N. America by any means, but one of my favorites.

Spring 2005

Spring 2004

Not the biggest or baddest, but sweet coulies not the less

Lost Rat Couloir, Grays Peak

And the Goat Finger on Mt. Edwards
    Living the good life.

Quote Originally Posted by iskibc
    Tracks in a couloir indicate that it's safe

SFB is a fun ski. There are no technical moves once you get into the couloir and the average pitch is maybe pushing mid 30s. The crux is typically about 10-15 feet wide, so nothing to worry about. You can boot up it or climb up the looker's left shoulder to ridgeline. Traversing the ridgetop above is probably the most difficult part of the whole day. Ascent and descent shouldn't take more than 4 hours round trip. Really straightforward and basic. It looks much steeper and intimidating than it really is.

Thanks for the beta. My first thoughts were that it would ski easier than it looked.

How much, on average, does the top fill in by March? Do I need to bring my rock gear to rap in? Is the upper ridgetop easy class III scrambling or would you recommend just booting up the thing? Thanks!

I've posted this before but oh well. Surprised no one's mentioned the 'ole Grunge...! Not sure the actual couloir is 1500' but it's not far behind.

March a couple years ago:

June shot, it's the looker's right notch:

Quote Originally Posted by Yonder_River
    Thanks for the beta. My first thoughts were that it would ski easier than it looked.

How much, on average, does the top fill in by March? Do I need to bring my rock gear to rap in? Is the upper ridgetop easy class III scrambling or would you recommend just booting up the thing? Thanks!
    The top is typically wind scoured no matter what time of year. No need to rap into the couloir. It's a fairly easy downclimb to the snow. There's usually a nice platform of snow to stand on for getting your skis on. I liked the ridgetop scramble because it added to the experience. Some nice exposure around the east side, mixed in with some solid rock. I would say easy class III, nothing more. Might be worth bringing an ice axe for added protection.

San Juaquen (AP?) chute outside of Telluride. Access from Ohir. It is the shit.
    Creek Boaters Like Tight Boxes

Question for you New Englanda's:

Has anyone skied Shoestring Gully on Mt. Webster?

Not too steep, but almost 3k of vert. Very slide prone when in skiable shape though.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

OK it's not in North America, but you coulior freaks should check out this vid: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ight=marinelli --- more than 6000ft of coulier action on the Swiss-Italian border. Never more than 50 degrees, looks like a winner if the conditions are just right.

About the question in the forum about climbing, it's an easy but VERY long two day trek to the entrance of the coulier (involving 7000ft+ of touring uphill). My guess is they took the heli to capitalize on the short conditions window, so they wouldn't be completely finished before they even started, and hey when you're risking your life on something the $400 fee probably doesn't sound as bad.
    Last edited by bbirtle; 12-09-2005 at 02:28 PM.

No Montana love. Greywolf couloir gets my vote. Great views of the Missions, Swans, St Mary's Peak and Flathead lake. The penatly box is pretty high also. My right pole is pointed right at the top. Not a great picture, but you get the idea.

go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by Strider
    Ellingwood couloir on the Middle Teton, or the Northeast couloir/Molar tooth couloir on the Grand Teton. Larger pucker factor associated with these two.

You mean the Hossack-McGowan on the Grand?

Quote Originally Posted by Huckwheat
    Red Slate is the best Coulouir I have skied.

Probably not Moran worthy....but one of best in Sierras.

PS--I stole these pictures from a thread awhile back.....my picts were non digi from 2000.
    Red Slate rocks

I also like Dana, is a classic

Sweet thread. Moran is definitely the coolest thing I have skied. There are just so many beautiful lines in this thread, impossible to pick one.

Sweet Thread, Great idea. Mtnlion, I heard about someone skiing Cascade a few years back. Solid work.

I'd have to agree 3/4 at Moraine lake looks pretty nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot

Is there an acceptable definition of "Couloir"???

To me, an essential part of a coulie is having rock walls on either side of you, feeling the rock and the mountain envelope and enclose you.
    A narrow ribbon of snow not surrounded by rock walls would be more of a "chute" to me.
    The french word "couloir" is actually the word for hallway, implying narrow with two walls, but when it was first used in mountain climbing in the 19th century, the meaning was more "passageway" (hey, I looked that up on the web).
    10/4 couloir skiing is unique particularly because of those rock walls on either side. that is precisely what makes it special.

my, my, my....sick pics

perhaps we should go global?

here's a little something, not the biggest or best but pushing 3000' to the road w/ a lift assist on the way up.

The Labyrinthe Mdz, AR. my, my, my...

Attachment 8839

I second the "Y" and throw in Big Sky's "Big Couloir" (and they don't even require any trekking, camping, or rappelling. Just good timing).

Wow! I can't believe that no one has said, "The Black Ice Couloir." The name allow send shivers up your back..... Sorry, I don't have a photo of it handy.

Any way, the Black Ice is between the Enclosure and the Grand Teton. I climbed it back in 79' and I was impressed (60 degree hard-as-nails alpine ice pitches, VERY narrow crux pitch section, screaming ass rockfall.... ). It was finally skied by Mark Newcomb and Steve Koch in 93'. I think they had to belay ski/snowboard it most of the way.

Flying around Baffin Island in May 99', I saw thousands of small, big and monster size couloirs. Baffin Island is a treasure house of first ski descents.... To bad its such a bitch to go there.

Halsted
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

It is absurd that no one has mentioned the Jackson Hole Wy. town Couloir somewhere between 5,000-65,345 vertical and 65-23 constant pitch until you ski into the creek at the bottom.

I.Q.=36

mt. buckner n. face col. been skied maybe a couple of times. once that i know of.

ice cliff colouir mt stuart
    Last edited by Zeedashbo; 12-09-2005 at 09:28 PM.
    god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel

fight!fight!fight indeed. A superb troll, multifluous and faceted, deep and cutting.

Too many conditions, though. It's only a mirror.

N. Cascades are so rich. So is Cooke City, Montana. And the T-Juanas. And Koots. And the melilfluos folds of the Sawtooths. The blood of christ range. Not to mention the spine of fire from Baker to Shasta++.

I'm no judge, there's shitloads way better, only a cheap acolyte.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by MOHSHSIHd
    hey bro...you ever gonna be in summit this year?
    He'll be up skiing with us on Sunday after he gets done telling stories on the internet about Joe Beater that aren't true!

Quote Originally Posted by BlurredElevens
    He'll be up skiing with us on Sunday after he gets done telling stories on the internet about Joe Beater that aren't true!
    I heard Joe skied the whole thing switch.

Seriously, I think he did straightline from the choke on down. He's retarded that way.